ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum

ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum (https://www.scoobynet.com/)
-   General Technical (https://www.scoobynet.com/general-technical-10/)
-   -   bp ultimate (https://www.scoobynet.com/general-technical-10/283328-bp-ultimate.html)

hodgey001 19 December 2003 07:48 PM

anyone used bp ultimate anygood folks.

H18JGM 20 December 2003 04:27 AM

Hi m8,

Do a search for "BP Ultimate", you'll find lots of opinions.
Best bet is to try it. If you can't tell the differnce between it and Optimax, then it must be good ?! ;)

Gidney&Knowlesy 20 December 2003 12:29 PM

Personally found optimax better, however I live next to the BP station......

sg72 20 December 2003 12:41 PM

Filled up with a tankful of "Ultimate" last night also with my usual dose of booster .
Found much more activity on knocklink.
So I guess must be of lower Octane rating than "Optimax"

Daz34 20 December 2003 02:26 PM

Ultimate is only 97RON. Just super unleaded with cleaning additives basically.

Darren

Chris L 20 December 2003 02:36 PM

I'm using it most of the time now (with an occassional fill up of Optimax). I've found the car a lot smoother (more so than using Optimax). Powerwise, I haven't noticed much difference. That said, my car is a fairly standard Uk model. Perhaps on imports and more highly tuned versions you might notice more difference?

Chris

anoble1 20 December 2003 07:59 PM

I used BP Ultimate today for the first time, to be honest it felt a little flat....defo not as good as optimax.

CyberScoob 22 December 2003 11:15 AM

I used BP Ultimate the other week and my car cut out twice at the lights and lots of hesitation...Swapped back to Optimax and all was normal again...I will never use it again!

carterjohn 22 December 2003 12:29 PM

i filled up with ultimate on saturday and was surprised at how much smoother the car ran after using optimax. mixed response from people so try it yourself,my01 uk car.(dunno if that matters)

Marky-San 22 December 2003 12:32 PM

OK for regular cars maybe, but not the Impreza chariot. Mine felt a little poorer - filled with Optimax and it seemed alright again.

:eek: 22 December 2003 01:25 PM

My charriot never gotten on well with Optimax....I used to favor ESSO SUL, now however I run Ultimate, seems to have really sorted my 'det' issues out............weird I know.

Miniman 22 December 2003 02:00 PM

Filled up with a complete tank to get a good run at it and really get a feel for it. Didn't notice much difference. It was a bit smoother through the lower revs, but not so much so that other factors couldn't have been the cause (weather - temp and humidity).

No difference so back to Optimax, I know it's OK in the car so if it ain't broke....

Mark_B 24 December 2003 11:25 AM

I tried BP ultmate first time, car was really slow to pickup,anything below 4k rpm forget it, but when it did, it seemed to pull really strong. so I tried another tank full and it sorted the lack of low down pull, it is now much better low down, say 2-3k rpm it picks up really strong, better than optimax, also in say 4th gear at low rpm lovely. so I think I will stay with BP and stop using optimax. car 2001 PPP, anyone else found the same.

carterjohn 24 December 2003 03:58 PM

like i said me im now using bp.

Chris L 28 December 2003 04:22 PM

Mine is an MY01 aswell - is there a trend here?

Chris

nom 28 December 2003 05:40 PM

MY00 with a Link (so very easy to notice engine noise): in my brief experience, I'd put 'Ultimate' as slightly below Esso SUL, which is a way below Optimax even from the stations withough a good turnover of the stuff (ie my 'local' :D).
I wasn't going to risk another tank of the stuff - I'd need to do a total remap (which I don't for Esso SUL) & TBH it wasn't worth the effort.. or any point!