ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum

ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum (https://www.scoobynet.com/)
-   Non Scooby Related (https://www.scoobynet.com/non-scooby-related-4/)
-   -   Mobile phone help!! (https://www.scoobynet.com/non-scooby-related-4/282914-mobile-phone-help.html)

IanWatson 18 December 2003 03:36 PM

I need some help...

It seemed like a simple task - I need a mobile phone for my business, mainly for receiving calls as I work from home and don't get out much. :)
I've been living abroad for the last three years and there seems to be so much choice, too many complicated options and I've no idea what the individual networks are like now.

Maybe someone who knows can point me in the right direction.

- I think I want a contract set up rather than pay-as-you-go (around 200 mins and some cheap texts)
- I need to be able to use the phone in the US and Europe for business
- not too fussed about a camera phone (although wouldn't say no
if it was free/cheapo)
- email/WAP isn't really a big deal as I'm rarely away from the PC

any suggestions?

big thanks
Ian

IanWatson 18 December 2003 06:59 PM

BTT!

simo 18 December 2003 07:34 PM

Ian

have a look at vodafone.co.uk, just got the misses a phone off them, phone choice good, a lot free and offering 100mins anytime cross network + £6 worth of texts/wap foc each month all for £15/month. Most shops / paper adds offer same for £25/month and u dont get the £6 worth of xtra's.

cheers simon

Lord Of The Bling... 18 December 2003 08:49 PM

Nokia 6310...

good for business cuzz it has a big battery, so less charging and more talk time! doesnt have stupid games or gay ring tones! has bluetooth, so good for car kit/data

uksti 18 December 2003 10:21 PM

and the 6310i is triband - used it in US and Europe myself.

f1 18 December 2003 10:39 PM

Orange have some good offers on at the mo.
Don't expect much from Cust Serv. though.

apples24 18 December 2003 11:17 PM

www.mobileshop.com, vodafone, nokia 6600 200 x net mins and 100 tex, 36 quid month, free fone free conection. bargain

mart360 18 December 2003 11:59 PM

Erricson t68i or t610

on orange for cheapness of calls abroad..

good phones, awsome standby times

mart

ianmiller999 19 December 2003 12:04 AM

What ever you do don't buy a motorola battery never lasts as long as competitors and isn't as robust. Myself and three other friends have motorolas and the all of the cases squeek when tyoing message numbers etc. Very irritating.

imlach 19 December 2003 12:21 AM

I've had it with poncy & pricey phones, and needed a new one today to replace a broken "state of the art" Nokia.

So, got a Siemens A55 on PAYG from CarphoneWarehouse for £39. It is unlocked already, so just put my Orange SIM in it. Seems to do everything one would need, and at that price, one can't complain. If you don't need IR/GPRS/camera, it will fulfill your needs, and is small, light, and has average standby (4-6 days).