ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum

ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum (https://www.scoobynet.com/)
-   Drivetrain (https://www.scoobynet.com/drivetrain-11/)
-   -   Link ECU (https://www.scoobynet.com/drivetrain-11/282081-link-ecu.html)

Redd 16 December 2003 09:57 AM

I'm looking at getting a MY97 WRX which has a Link ECU installed.

I understand that an ECU will help greatly in car tuning but I'm more concerned with reliability.

Will the Link ECU affect reliability in any way? Does the Link ECU remove any of the standard failsafes - knock sensor, timing retard, etc - found on the standard Subaru ECU?

Basically, is it safe to use a Link if I'm not really looking for crazy power.

redd

Pavlo 16 December 2003 10:19 AM

Yes it is safe. Possibly safer than factory if you can't get good quality fuel all the time or in extremes of temperature, because the car can be tuned to suit your needs

paul

nom 16 December 2003 10:50 AM

Agree with Paul - a WRX as standard will want fuel beyond what is available here (or, I think, Malaysia - don't know what the available RON of your fuel is, though?); one with a Link will have been re-tuned to the local fuel, hence is likely to be a more reliable car than the standard one.
Assuming whoever tuned it wasn't a nutter :D

[Edited by nom - 12/16/2003 11:36:14 AM]

NAF 17 December 2003 05:03 PM

Hi Redd,
You must let your tuner knows that you are not looking for crazy power.I am running Link ECU on my car with electronic boost controller as I found out that Link is not really keen in keeping the boost steady.With Link,it pays to have Lambdalink and Knocklink install as well so you can keep an eye on the fuelling state,eg not overfuelling at idle or engine knocking at WOT.
BTW,I m in Brunei.

Chan

Redd 18 December 2003 08:13 AM

Hi Chan, who tunes ur Link for you in Brunei? Where did you get ur KnockLink from and who did the install.

Unfortunately, there's only ONE Link ECU tuner here and I don't trust a lot of the tuners in Malaysia.

redd

NAF 29 December 2003 03:27 PM

Redd,
A tuner from Australia came over and tuned my Link ECU.A group of us bought turbos,downpipes and Link ECUs and part of the package was that he came over and tuned our Link.At that time none of us have much knowledge about Link ECU tuning and all our cars are MY98.To cut the story short,later we all found out all our cars were running rich after we started fitting Lambda Link and Knock Link.Idle,Lambda Link always showing rich(last green) and only time that green light disappear is when you throttle off.I managed to get a Link handset and write down all the values and through Scoobynet,the Link gurus like Bob helped me out and from there I managed to get my fuelling zones to a reasonable value,ie now no green light when idling and stable idle.
What mods have you done to your car?For you,I guess you have to tell your tuner what you want and specified that at stable idle with and without ac running,Lambda Link should read lean.I am sure other owners with Link ECU will help you.I am not a tuner but I will help you with what I know.
Happy New Year everyone and Peace On Earth.

Chan HT