ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum

ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum (https://www.scoobynet.com/)
-   Wheels, Tyres & Brakes (https://www.scoobynet.com/wheels-tyres-and-brakes-13/)
-   -   Car drifts to the left.................... (https://www.scoobynet.com/wheels-tyres-and-brakes-13/281740-car-drifts-to-the-left.html)

Gridlock Mikey 15 December 2003 11:52 AM

Morning Chaps,

I replaced my shot tyres with some part worn Toyo's that I'd found in the back of my garage. They had done about 1000 miles. I've noticed that the car drifts left with a constant input required to keep the car straight. It's only slight and it's not like I let go of the steering wheel and the car steams off for the nearest kerb.
I wondered if it's because of slight uneven wear from where they were on the wheel before hand.
I had the geometry done about 2 years ago and have swapped tyres/wheels many times since then without any problems.
Further Info:
My brake discs need replacing :rolleyes:
My brake pads are on thier last 250 miles :rolleyes:
The old tyres that came off did not exhibit any form of uneven wear. Yes they were nearly illegal but they were all over :rolleyes:
The car has not been kerbed or any undue trauma been placed on the front suspension. Not that I know of anyway :rolleyes: But the missus says she's been careful so........ ;)
So my question is this, can you think of any reason why my car has suddenly started drifting left?
Could there be something wrong with the rear of the car that could make it wander?

Cheers

Mikey :cool:

ozzy 15 December 2003 11:55 AM

wheel balancing?

gav888 15 December 2003 12:11 PM

Mine does that, cos ive got a slow puncture in the OSF tyre, need to fix it.!!!

Check the pressures to see if there down!!

SCOOBY TOWERS 15 December 2003 12:14 PM

May sound daft but if the tyres are directional check they are on the correct way around.
If thats ok try swapping fronts to back to see if the problem persists.
Are all 4 the same type (evan if they are all Toyo's they may have different tread patterns etc)?
Other than that tracking / aligning may be required due to your old tyres wearing to compensate for steering input and your "new" ones being evanly worn.

Chris

spence7 15 December 2003 12:36 PM

i agree uneven pressures are a likely cause.

or different tyres are more prone to following camber of road, so it may just be the toyos themselves. Try on a massive 3-4 lane motorway in the right hand lane see if it still does it.

Gridlock Mikey 15 December 2003 05:07 PM

Cheers guys

Hobbit 17 December 2003 06:30 PM

spend the £15 to get the geometry set up correctly then worry about what the tyres are doing or ask while geometry is being done... for tyres tpo be checked over too

R.B 17 December 2003 07:30 PM

Try letting the clutch out around 1-2k Rpm and not 7000 rpm like the other night its called Launch control :eek: :rolleyes: :cool: :D :)

Gridlock Mikey 18 December 2003 09:39 AM

;) Just trying to get the tyres bedded in ;)

mutant_matt 20 December 2003 02:06 AM

Try swapping the left wheels to the right and see if it pulls to the right?

Try driving down a cambered country lane on the "wrong side" to see if it pulls to the right then?

Matt :)