ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum

ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum (https://www.scoobynet.com/)
-   Non Scooby Related (https://www.scoobynet.com/non-scooby-related-4/)
-   -   Fellow rat owners - I need some advice please (https://www.scoobynet.com/non-scooby-related-4/281223-fellow-rat-owners-i-need-some-advice-please.html)

Bravo2zero_sps 13 December 2003 11:54 AM

My two are brothers and have kept them both together since babies. They have always had a bit of rough and tumble with biting each other occasionally but just rough playing. However I thought this would stop once they had been neutered (about 6 weeks ago) along with them stop peeing on anything they come across :rolleyes:

Last night I noticed one of them has a large scab on his jaw and the hair is missing where the other one has bitten him really hard and he also has puncture marks all over his back from being bitten lots :( He is ok in himself and I will take him to the vets if he shows any sign of being unwell.

What I want to know though is what can I do to stop them fighting or one bullying the other one? They cant be seperated as 99% of the time they are very fond of each others company and always sleep cuddled uptogether and rats are supposed to be kept in pairs at a minimum plus I only have one large cage with no way of segregating it.

I never see any fighting going on to stop it, only playing so they must be doing the fighting during the night when I cant stop them :rolleyes:

Any advice on how to fix this problem much appreciated as Im worried its going to get worse to the point where one needs vetinary treatment or even worse death.

pslewis 13 December 2003 12:18 PM

We've got 2 and they fight now and again, not sure what to do really? we have now taken to making sure there are plenty of places for BOTH to stay away from each other.

Plus, we have 2 food bowls, 2 water bottles, 2 beds, 2 of everything and it seems to bring harmony!!

Pete

Bravo2zero_sps 13 December 2003 04:13 PM

Thanks for the reply, they already have two food bowls but share the bed and water bottle. They wouldn't use a second bed because they like cuddling upto each other and the one they have is pretty big. The only time I have seen them sleep away from each other is in the summer when it was scorching hot. They never fight over the water bottle either.

Its almost as though the play fighting goes too far as they do like rough and tumble. Their teeth are like razor blades as well so its pretty damaging when they do go for each other.

Oh and the cage is 3 tier so there is plenty of space to get away from each other if they need space.

V45DSM 13 December 2003 05:38 PM

Pull their necks. If one's got bite marks on its back I would say the other has been trying to bum him. They bite to hold on. Rabbits are notorious for it, we had four brothers and three of them would 'run a train' on the runt. I even walked in on a spit roast once. We had to split them up in the end. As for teeth like razors - I've got a 1" scar on the back of my hand just because I stroked one verminus little ****e tail-to-head.
Yes, definitely pull their necks.

Bravo2zero_sps 13 December 2003 05:45 PM

Yeah thanks for that, if I wanted them dead I wouldn't be posting up here would I asking for help on how to stop them fighting :rolleyes:

If you only have pathetic stupid answers like that don't bother replying to my posts in future!

ajm 13 December 2003 05:49 PM

Pull their necks
harsh, but lol!

Worse comes to worse, I have 5 hungry little mouths to feed.... ;)

Bravo2zero_sps 13 December 2003 05:56 PM

LOL ajm if you are talking about Pirhanas then forget it! That video you put up was hideous :p Still watched a few times though :D

V45DSM 13 December 2003 06:08 PM

If you only have pathetic stupid answers like that don't bother replying to my posts in future!
I've also got some obtuse and imperceptive retorts, can one confer these?

Lighten-up knob 'ead!

[Edited by V45DSM - 12/13/2003 6:09:34 PM]

ajm 13 December 2003 06:10 PM

Still watched a few times though
LOL :D

[Edited by ajm - 12/13/2003 6:11:29 PM]

Bravo2zero_sps 13 December 2003 06:16 PM

V45 go and troll on someone elses thread :rolleyes: You really think its funny to tell someone to kill their pets? Yeah sure I'll just tell my son shall I and see how funny he finds it?

If thats your idea of comedy then you need help :rolleyes:

I don't need to lighten up as there was nothing tongue in cheek about your thread at all by the way it reads!

V45DSM 13 December 2003 06:23 PM

What's your fu.....Oh, I see what the problem is and I do apologise, you're from Kent.

[Edited by V45DSM - 12/13/2003 6:25:51 PM]

Bravo2zero_sps 13 December 2003 06:25 PM

:rolleyes:

yoza 13 December 2003 06:44 PM

Use a perspex sheet to separate them during the night. Then remove it in the morning. It should be easy to cut a piece to size and slip it between the bars of the cage. They can still see each other so they wont fret too much.

It works for me and her........hardly any bites any more.

Sith 14 December 2003 02:24 AM

They do bite to hold on to one another. I have been watching ours playfight. But as soon as one is in danger they back of.
Ours are about 4-5 months old and are currently going through a power struggle. A dominant buck has arisen from the trio but the play fights do happen. The other two know when to back down. All three normally sleep all bundled together. During the day / night they will retreat to separate areas to be on their own.

You could try separate cages at night or the perspex. But some ratties will fight regardless. Just like some human siblings will.

Bravo2zero_sps 14 December 2003 10:38 PM

Any other helpful suggestions?

Segregating the cage isn't going to work as its a 3 story cage and would take a fair bit of engineering to split it off and leave them sufficient space to run about.

May call the vets to see if they have any advice as they said the fighting should stop once their knackers had been removed.

pslewis 14 December 2003 10:42 PM

I think I now know why they are fighting!!

Each one believes the other one has chewed their balls off in the night!! :D ;)

Pete

Mice_Elf 15 December 2003 10:53 AM

Can you put toys in to distract them away from each other at night?

If you rotate a number of toys, it doesn't become boring. I don't know an awful lot about rats it has to be said, but do they have enough things to gnaw on, to keep their teeth down?

Could the vet perhaps clip their teeth or file them down a bit to make them less sharp?

MrDBM 15 December 2003 11:15 AM

exactly the same situation with my two - they play fight all of the time but can occasionally get a bit rough. ( those rat screams really go right through you:) )

I've found that spraying them lightly with water from a plant mister stops them pretty quickly, as they hate water generally and take a break to clean themselves and get rid of the water.

If you keep it handy by the home, and use it when needed, they get the message fast!

prodriva 15 December 2003 11:21 AM

Just came across this thread and noticed the mention of a Pirahna video clip. Any Links mmmwwwahhhaaaahaaaa.

Seriously though, thought about getting some of these for one of my spare tanks.

Bravo2zero_sps 15 December 2003 11:26 AM

Hi Mice

they have never shown any interest in toys unfortunately. I have put a swing in there, a ball and they had a wheel which I removed due to no interest. They have also had the usual cardboard tubes etc and seem to have absolutely no interest in any of it. I obviously need to find them more interesting toys :confused:

They don't have any knawing things apart from the occasional gnawing stick things you can get. They never eat the dog bisuits that are in their food either which would help keep their teeth down. They are fussy little gits! Perhaps they need a gnawing block. Will take a trip to the pet shot and see what I can find them.

Bravo2zero_sps 15 December 2003 11:29 AM

MrDBM unfortunately they only do serious damage to each other when I am not about which is typical and if there is any nastiness when I am about they get a bang on the cage and shouted at which stops them dead in their tracks :D

Ratman 15 December 2003 11:29 AM

I believe testosterone can take about 10 weeks to clear from the body after the rat is neutered, so things may still calm down yet. However, are they definitely bite marks and not just scabs caused by scratching an itchy skin?

Have you been here?

http://www.dapper.com.au/articles.htm#itchy/

Rgrds,
Ratman

Bravo2zero_sps 15 December 2003 11:35 AM

Ratman unfortunately they are definately bite marks, had them checked by the vet when they were neutered as they have been doing this to each other for a long time. And the one who is injured currently has a huge scab on the side of his face the size of a small pea. Have checked it for infection etc and appears to be none, just a huge black scab, his eyes are bright, nose dry and he is eating and drinking normally and lively as he has ever been.

Its now just one who does it to the other so maybe the testosterone has left one of them and the one still biting needs more time to get it out of his system.

Thanks for the link, will have a read.

Ratman 15 December 2003 11:59 AM

This link is probably more relevant, but not necessarily good news for you!

http://www.horns.freeserve.co.uk/ratneuter.htm

You could always check out the neuticles...?!!

Ratman

[Edited by Ratman - 12/15/2003 12:00:50 PM]

weapon69 15 December 2003 12:03 PM

Neuticles........lol:D

Bravo2zero_sps 15 December 2003 12:07 PM

Cheers Ratman :)