ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum

ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum (https://www.scoobynet.com/)
-   ScoobyNet General (https://www.scoobynet.com/scoobynet-general-1/)
-   -   Imprezas and new Euro Pedestrian Safety Rules (https://www.scoobynet.com/scoobynet-general-1/280751-imprezas-and-new-euro-pedestrian-safety-rules.html)

Phil Harrison 11 December 2003 02:22 PM

Does the new set of Euro safety rules for 2005 scupper the Impreza as we know it?? Is this why the future seems a bit unclear - at least to those of us who don't study the motoring press word by word??

I have in mind particularly the bonnet line, tho' the flat 4 ought to allow some leeway here in comparison with other manufacturers?? And presumably the scoop is especially vulnerable - after all you can get a pedestrian down an STi8 scoop whole without touching the sides, and you can slice him in half with the 03WRX scoop ;););)

Perhaps a Solberg Special will represent the top of the UK Market ever???

Phil

logiclee 11 December 2003 03:43 PM

As I understand it the top mounted intercooler will not pass the 2005 specs. It's not the scoop but the intercooler itself directly under the bonnet.

May mean the 2005 Scoob comes with standard FMIC. :D

Lee

MATTeL 11 December 2003 03:51 PM

Maybe they should teach the pedestrians to use the green cross code and be aware of the world around them rather than attack the cars again!:rolleyes:

AvalancheS8 11 December 2003 04:16 PM

Light weight rubber scoop anyone ?

Jolley 11 December 2003 04:59 PM

As long as solid object are further than (something like) 100mm away from the external bodywork it is ok. So presumably it will not matter as long as the 100mm is maintained (which it probably already is on the MY03). However, I am not sure if there are any restrictions on bodywork (scoop) shape for people passing over the bonnet.

Interestingly, the MY03 brochure sells the safety of the detachable window wipers... apparently wipers are a common cause of head injury, which this should avoid! (I do not know about anyone else, but I would rather catch a wiper (even one that does not detach) than one of those scoops!!)

jaf01uk 11 December 2003 05:17 PM

I read somewhere around the launch of the Sti8 that the scoop breaks away if hit by a moronic pedestrian with no regard to the laws of physics! As mentioned already the restriction applies to structures under the bonnet as well like strut tops and TMIC's :(

With the amount of bl**dy pedestrian crossings causing gridlock you'd think it would be easier to get them to use them!

Edited to say, maybe not such a good idea posting about the break away scoop....... Sti scoop for your nova sir, no problem....thump! there you are! £69 please! :D

[Edited by jaf01uk - 12/11/2003 5:20:00 PM]

RayC 11 December 2003 05:27 PM

see Autocar edition on 18th of nov. 2003

Phil Harrison 11 December 2003 05:37 PM

Autocar is silent about scoops AIUI, Ray?

Phil

chiark 11 December 2003 05:42 PM

Not sure about the scoop, but the wiper blades are definitely designed to detach in case of the moronic element, or kid who doesn't know any better... No matter what the rights or wrongs of the case are, I wouldn't want a kid's death on my conscience even if it wasn't my fault.

But that's not the point here, is it? :D

salsa-king 11 December 2003 06:10 PM

Wing Mirror????????

Leslie 13 December 2003 11:35 AM

Mattel has the real answer.