ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum

ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum (https://www.scoobynet.com/)
-   ScoobyNet General (https://www.scoobynet.com/scoobynet-general-1/)
-   -   What mods are recommended for STI8 (https://www.scoobynet.com/scoobynet-general-1/280729-what-mods-are-recommended-for-sti8.html)

haynesaj 11 December 2003 01:37 PM

Expecting delivery in March and wanted to know what mods would people recommend. Thinking about PPP but its costly. What about Prodrive spings and 18' wheels?

Cheers

haynesaj 12 December 2003 11:29 AM

I guess not then...

STi Paul 12 December 2003 11:31 AM

Not much without losing your warranty!!!!!!

Paul

ramdor 12 December 2003 11:43 AM

Get the prodrive springs... highly recommended from ME :D I wouldnt bother with the PPP unless you get fed up of changing from 6th to 5th on a motorway. I dont thing it has made 2k's worth of difference to my car over a standard sti8.

Richie.

ramdor 12 December 2003 11:45 AM

In fact thats about all the PPP does for me... I can stay in top and the car still pulls like a mad thing. My driving skills dont warrent the extra power etc for b roads.

Richie.

r32 12 December 2003 12:20 PM

Love the PPP, really glad I had it done ........

Foxmod 12 December 2003 12:26 PM

Yep, Get the Spring Kit, I did, and it transforms the car :D

After that I went for a TSL Group N Back Box, for abit more noise.

Once Chrimbo is out of the way, then a nice set of 18's for the summer, and a set of gauges for oil and boost.

Dave

haynesaj 12 December 2003 12:34 PM

Thanks guys. Its sounds like Prodrive Spings would be a good investment.

I'm uming and erring over PPP, but its a lot of dosh. Warranty is important for me though. I have no issue with dropping a gear on the motorway. Have been doing this for a while in my 01 WRX PPP. I notice that they recommend 18' wheels with PPP too!!!

Steve777 12 December 2003 12:37 PM

Course they recommend them with PPP !

I do have 18's on mine, but my choice not Prodrive recommending them to me.

I have both PPP and springs. Well chuffed

Live a little. You only come this way once and if you can afford it then go for it :)

Glenn_R 12 December 2003 09:06 PM

PPP done first. The plan is now to add the spring kit, 18"s and Gauges asap:) That should be it then - well maybe the decat as well!!

Steve Holmes 13 December 2003 09:32 AM

Steve,

I have the PPP and springs as well, did you get the geometry changed at the same time?

tiggers 13 December 2003 09:42 AM

Spring kit is not recommended - it's a must have.

Worst suspension/ride of any car I have ever driven on the standard set up - Subaru should be ashamed if not prosecuted under the trade descriptions act :D Couldn't work out how I didn't notice it on the test drive until I enquired about the demonstrator to be told it had the Prodrive springs - dealers - gotta luv 'em.

tiggers.

[Edited by tiggers - 12/13/2003 10:00:34 AM]

forest172 13 December 2003 09:46 AM

I have spring kit, Group N backbox and single a-pillar boost gauge.

I`d have 18" alloys but the 17"`s are so easy to clean and also look good. If the wife or me kerbs a 17" stardard alloy I can easily get one to replace it, without it costing the earth.

ARM-Scooby 13 December 2003 01:36 PM

what is the price of the springs fitted on average from a dealer such as the leicester branch

Pistol_Pete 13 December 2003 02:38 PM

Ive had two 03 sti's now. The first one had PPP fitted from the off, but the PPP is still on order for my current car - Im really missing it.
The PPP gets my vote over a standard car but if your not worried about the warrenty side, their are cheaper ways to get the power.

Foxmod 13 December 2003 03:23 PM

Got my spring kit fitted by Beechdale in Derby for £420 + VAT

Phil Harrison 13 December 2003 06:25 PM

Confirm the PPP is a 'must have' (in my case for an Sti7). It's not just the change down on the Motorways, it's the change down for every back-off on a B-road. Not only does it make the care much more driveable, but it adds masses of poke throughout the range (well, above 2500 rpm, that is !) Yes, you can do it for cheaper, but not 'and keep he warranty'! I'm very pleased with mine.

Phil

Silver Scooby Sport 13 December 2003 07:49 PM

Here's a nice inexpensive mod if you can't stretch to the ppp

http://images.fotopic.net/?id=631948&outx=600&oq=0

;)

Simon :D

ChrisC. 13 December 2003 09:17 PM

Personally I think 2k for PPP on an STI is almost a necessity. I did 12k miles before the conversion and wish I had gone for it after 1st. service. It can be a handful in the wet if you boot in 2/3/4th. out of slow corners. The problem is the front end ....feels like FWD as it loses grip. Prodrive suggest 18 ins. wheels help but I can't see why this would help and feel the already stiff ride would just get worse.

Glenn_R 14 December 2003 02:28 PM

Does the spring kit work as well with 17"s or do you need 18"s to get the best out of them??

Foxmod 14 December 2003 02:33 PM

I've still got OEM 17's on my STI with the spring kit, and as I stated earlier, it transforms the car :D

I'm waiting for the summer when It's nicer weather, then I'll get some 18's. at the moment I'd sooner TRY (?!) to keep the OEM 17's clean, and un-kerbed!

Dave :D