ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum

ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum (https://www.scoobynet.com/)
-   Drivetrain (https://www.scoobynet.com/drivetrain-11/)
-   -   TSL Group N - How Loud Is It? (https://www.scoobynet.com/drivetrain-11/280637-tsl-group-n-how-loud-is-it.html)

Bunge 11 December 2003 09:47 AM

Hi looking at a tsl group n exhaust basically i dont want anything too loud and would like to keep the twin outlet pipes. Anyone have one of these? how much louder are they than the standard wrx 03 exhaust?

TIA

Garion 12 December 2003 01:06 PM

I dont know if this helps but i`ve just bought the TSL group n backbox with 4" tail for my 2002 wrx, best thing i`ve ever done.

Originally my car had the wr sport backbox which was burbly & louder than standard but it didnt have the "bite" i wanted. I then replaced the 3rd cat & resonator with TSL straight thru pipes, that gave the exhaust a slightly harder tone & a bit more volume but it was still a bit quiet and soft sounding.

When i fitted the group n box i immediately noticed a much harder deeper exhaust note without the raspyness of the "Firestorm", it is louder than before but not in your face. It even comes with a volume control, window up nice growl in the background, window down silly smug grin all over face.

Lastly i think volume wise its just right for me, not so loud that the neighbours come running out with baseball bats but enough to let everyone know it aint a standard car. Oh and mine pops & bangs like a goodun if you blip the throttle ( yes ive got a vta dumpvalve )

cheers Andy

alcazar 12 December 2003 03:59 PM

Agree with previous post: I have the Group N with 4" back pipe, and it's superb.
Turns heads without upsetting people.

Alcazar

Bunge 14 December 2003 07:57 PM

Cheers guys i phoned tsl on friday and spoke with one of the guys there he said its louder than the standard exhaust but not over the top load i think he said a couple of nothes higher volume and really brings out the burble of the flat four engine. Sounds good to me ordered the twin 65mm version which will be modded monday to fit my03 and with me tuesday.
People have said on these bbs that there is no increase ib bhp but according to tsl it will add around 8 bhp.

DaveR 14 December 2003 11:44 PM

hi Bunge,

I got one of these (twin-pipe) fitted to my MY02 at TSL about 18 months ago.
It really does bring out the burble sound nicely, and actually looks the biz too, if you don't want the 'dustbin-attached-to-the-back-of-my-car' look (IMHO !! :) )

give me a shout if you need to know more - I also got centre-decat and sportscat downpipe fitted ;)

DaveR

Bunge 15 December 2003 12:11 PM

Dave did u change the centre etc at the same time or run the back box only for a while? is it worth changing the centre as well? this can become an expensive game!! but then i get my xmas bonus this week!

Cheers

Nick

tmo 15 December 2003 01:11 PM

I had one fitted ( 4" out) along with a de-cat centre to my 00 turbo, sounds very nice, not over the top, but a vey nice "dugga dugga" and it pops and bangs on over run. :D
And TSL fitted it - top job, just need to go back and have the Group A down pipe fitted !!!

[Edited by tmo - 12/15/2003 1:13:42 PM]

DaveR 15 December 2003 03:09 PM

Hiya,

I actually got the backbox, centre sections and finally sportscat downpipe (the prototype!) fitted on three different consecutive visits.
(Boy is Trouser good at selling ;) )

The backbox itself adds lovely sound but not much else, the centres added a little more 'ooommphh' but not sound. Finally though the downpipe is the total daddy, adding a lot more power, a quicker spoolup, and even more sound. The only disappointment with it (in a way), was that it actually smoothed out the pops and bangs I was getting when I had just backbox and centre decat)....

hope this helps
DaveR

Bunge 16 December 2003 11:11 AM

thats great thanks

Scoobydick 16 December 2003 01:05 PM

I have this backbox 2 x 65mm and thought it was a bit loud to begin with but never had a performance exhaust on a car before - soon got used to it though. Also think at around 3,000 rpm it seems quite bassy/boomy rather than dugga-duggary.

At less than 2000 rmp = dugga dugga:D
At around 2000rpm fairly quiet not much different to standard - useful for stealth cruising:)
At 2000-3000 rpm a faster, more purposeful dugga dugga:cool:
At 3000 ish rpm loud, quite a bassy noise around the cabin, don't get much dugga dugga more of a booming.
At over 4000rpm the exhaust seems to quieten and the sound of the engine revving is more noticeable which I like :)

Not heard my own car from outside with someone else driving it though :confused:

It seriously shakes the garage door when backing onto the drive :D
And sounds wicked when edging forward in traffic and going up the ramps in multi stories etc :cool:

[Edited by Scoobydick - 12/16/2003 1:07:22 PM]

Bunge 16 December 2003 08:45 PM

scoobydick - excellent summary!!
back box arrived today popped into kwik fit on way home they said cant really do it till sunday morning when they would like me to leave the car with them for a couple of hours!!?? mmmm wont be doing that then!

hades 16 December 2003 11:12 PM

Two bolts on the flange, three rubber hangers. Kwik fit are taking the mickey. :rolleyes: It ain't hard for anyone to fit a backbox - did mine on my own with ramps in a 45 minute lunch break, which also included driving for 15 minutes and eating my lunch.

AndyMoody 17 December 2003 08:20 AM

Piece of cake to swap a back box, 14mm bolts and rubber hangers to prise off.

Andy.

DaveR 17 December 2003 09:01 AM

errr... when TSL fitted mine if I remember correctly they had to custom-fit the hanger (to my MY02) with the aid of a blowtorch ....

so it's not just nuts and bolts...

tmo 17 December 2003 09:28 AM

Mine went straight on, think it took about 30/45 mins including center section.

Bunge 19 December 2003 07:04 AM

hopefully tsl have already modded mine to fit straight on an my03 - would do it myself but its too bl**dy cold! i think kwik fit just fancy taking it for a blast after fitting - going to try ATS on saturday see if they will do it. is there a gasket reqd between the centre and back box?

DrEvil 19 December 2003 05:25 PM

Bunge - I believe there is a basic flat gasket that sits between the b-box and centre, standard size I think, so ATS will probably have one.

I've got the Group N on my STi8, I wanted to increase the burble but not annoy my neighbours, and it fits the bill nicely. :D

Alex

Garion 19 December 2003 09:13 PM

You shouldn`t have a problem with the back hanger, on mine there was a bracket with 2 hex bolts. they supplied two arms which bolt onto this, a left handed one for the classics and a right handed one for the new age. took me 15 mins to get the old box off and about five to get the new one on, piece of cake.

Bunge 20 December 2003 06:23 PM

Had it fitted at ATS this afternoon i was in the waiting room/area and then heard this excellent loud deep burble when they satrted it up, the guy at the reception desk just looked up at me and grinned.
sounds great and its actually a bit louder than i expected, its suprising how many more people notice you as your driving.
The fitter was excellent and very helpful he had recently fitted a full decat sytem to scoob and recommended i do the same says it makes a huge difference at higher speeds the amount of pull/torque available.
Start saving i guess!