ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum

ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum (https://www.scoobynet.com/)
-   Computer & Technology Related (https://www.scoobynet.com/computer-and-technology-related-34/)
-   -   What Software Would You Say Is a "Must Have"? (https://www.scoobynet.com/computer-and-technology-related-34/278464-what-software-would-you-say-is-a-must-have.html)

V5 04 December 2003 05:05 PM

Ok, confession! I'm a newbie to the whole "home computing" thing! :eek: I was about to buy one years ago when I got given a laptop by work, and have used that for getting on t'internet ever since.

Now that I do have a home computer (and broadband :D), I'm after recommendations of software/apps/etc to make it all fantastico! I guess I just want to make sure I get the best out of it!!

Even numptie old me knows Napster is no more, so what's the best thing out there? Is Kazaa just a spyware/virus ridden piece of kit? And talking of spyware and viruses - what would you use to combat them.

So, in essence, what bits of software couldn't you do without?

Thanks
Iain

Scott W 04 December 2003 05:24 PM

Firewall and Anti-Virus stuff first and foremost. ;):D Zonealarm is a good package for the home PC - especially as it's free! :D

I user WinMX at home instead of Kazaa, but I'm sure other people will come forward with their thoughts, for example, Kazaa Lite, etc.....

For Spyware package, look at Ad-aware (there is another but I cannot remember it at this moment in time).

Next up is some online gaming games! :D

mj 04 December 2003 05:37 PM

spybot is the other one like adaware.

paint shop pro is cheap enough ( see Kazzalite) for pi55ing about with piccies.

You also must have at least one good 1st person shhoter on the PC :D

...and for stress releif I could not be with out broadband and jedi knight - chopping up newbies with a double ended lightsaber is a must after a crappy day at work.

and scoobynet/ebay of course :)

[Edited by mj - 12/4/2003 5:37:35 PM]

Avi 04 December 2003 05:43 PM

http://www.kazaalite.tk

Is the spyware free version

V5 04 December 2003 06:13 PM

Cheers guys! :D Zonealarm and adaware on their way!!

Will look into Kazaalite later :)

Keep 'em coming! :D:D

rogp 04 December 2003 06:17 PM

http://www.grisoft.com

Free AV software.

Also forget the rest of the filesharing rabble - get on Bit Torrent

Info here:

http://www.bthq.tk

Bravo2zero_sps 04 December 2003 07:00 PM

MJ is that much different to Jedi Outcast? I have Outcast and nver found it that good but if there is a much better one then I need to get it :D

Rogp could you give me a few pointers for websites for torrent files, off line if its not suitable for here?

[Edited by ************** - 12/4/2003 7:06:05 PM]

V5 04 December 2003 08:01 PM

What is this torrent/bittorrent stuff?? It got mentioned in my other thread about getting broadband?? Never heard of it before!

Gedi 04 December 2003 08:35 PM

Linux :p

The only 2 Windows programs I would find it hard to be without are photoshop and dreamwearver. However, with these 2 now running virtually flawlessly on Linux with the help of CrossOver, everything Windows is becoming virtually redundant. :D

rogp 04 December 2003 09:41 PM

Bravo/V5 - Basically Bit Torrent is a file sharing utility designed to be better suited to larger files e.g. whole DVDs, CDs and PC/Console games. The file is split into 256kb segments.

I find far less virus ridden, misnamed files using Bit Torrent. I only duck back into Kazaa or Shareaza if I need a single MP3.

Bravo - YHM regarding torrent sites ;)

Gedi - Are you still using BSD? If so, have you tried OpenBSD? How does it fare as a desktop environment?

[Edited by rogp - 12/4/2003 9:43:34 PM]

[Edited by rogp - 12/4/2003 9:50:19 PM]

stiscooby 04 December 2003 09:58 PM

ah I was looking at this Bit Torrent thing but couldn't work out how to use it :D any good sites that will help me out?

mj 04 December 2003 09:59 PM

Bravo,

Nice to see you can find time away from the busy digital art studio you run ( audi picture??) that is known as MS Paint :D

outcast single player is quite good when you progress and get the lightsaber, its a pain as it is not until about 1/3rd into the game. as the levels advance, there is more chance of getting stuck or lost, it gets more interesting.

Outcast multiplayer is feckin "A" try it, get the "all seeing eye" instead of the in game multiplayer browser.

academy single player is pretty biz so far - I have had it since it came out....

...much prefer academy multiplayer - feckin "A+", you either like the style of game or you dont, but before you decide you "don't" try the duel servers for this game. Chopping up noobs with a double ended lightsaber in front of an audience of wannabees is tremendous stres releif :D

Bravo2zero_sps 04 December 2003 10:04 PM

Rogp cheers, have been using it about a week with just one site and wanted a few others to look about on :)

MJ lol yeah had to put my paintbrush down for a while, you haven't seen my decorating! :D

Might have to get Outcast back out then and give it a play :)

rogp 04 December 2003 10:05 PM

Stiscooby - email me offline and I'll fill you in.

I've just sent Bravo a list of my fave sites.

mj 04 December 2003 10:12 PM

bravo if you do, and fancy a saber scrap, mail me, I need a new sparring partner :)

Bravo2zero_sps 04 December 2003 10:13 PM

Nice one Rog, have been using the first one to look around since colleague at work had told me about it. Will now have a look about the other ones for what I am looking for as still haven't found it yet.

Bravo2zero_sps 04 December 2003 10:34 PM

And whats that fre AV software like? Updated regularly etc? How come its free?

Or should I be reading the website to find the answers out? :D

stiscooby 04 December 2003 11:05 PM

Thanks Rogp - I can't seem to find your e-mail address in your profile etc? Can you mail me?

Cheers

Corgi 04 December 2003 11:13 PM

Bit Torrent is poo....the only file sharing program to use is Direct Connect www.neo-modus.com although the newsgroups are still the best(and safest)

A firewall is a must, zonealarm is also poo, get on DC and you may find a "trial" version of Sygate Personal Firewall Pro ;)

MadGrip 04 December 2003 11:53 PM

direct connect is crap.. I used to ...errmm someone I used to know, used to run three of the biggest hubs in the UK..I just use bit torrent now, /bit torrent hasnt got the community spirit of direct connect but bit torrent hasnt got the power ego driven OP's of DC and BT's are quicker downloads

Phil

V5 05 December 2003 12:34 PM

LMFAO @ my numptyness! When rogp said

Free AV software
I thought he meant audio visual!! :rolleyes:

[Edited by V5 - 12/5/2003 12:36:32 PM]

rogp 05 December 2003 12:36 PM

That's available too if you know where to look ;)

Jye 05 December 2003 12:45 PM

Bittorrent is only 'poo' if muppets forget to forward the correct ports. I get nice constant 80 - 100 kbps dl's ;)

The only minus with BT is that you need to upload as well as DL at the same time. Apart from that its sweeeet :D

Jye 05 December 2003 12:47 PM

rogp I'm looking for some AV stuff atm, could you mail me with what you have torrent wise as well m8 :)

Cheers.

rogp 05 December 2003 02:03 PM

Jye,

Will do - tonight when I get home.

Jye 05 December 2003 02:08 PM

Cheers m8 :D

Brian the Sn@il 05 December 2003 04:49 PM

Jye mate can you pass the parcel.. LOL

game on laterz !

Ru$$Rip 06 December 2003 08:13 AM

rogp or anyone else - I am using 'Burst' on www.suprnova.org - can you mail me some other good bit tottent sites. Cheers! :D

Jye 06 December 2003 10:31 AM

I would Brian but havent heard from rogp as of yet :(

Gedi 06 December 2003 11:00 AM

Gedi - Are you still using BSD? If so, have you tried OpenBSD? How does it fare as a desktop environment?
I run BSD on 2 of my home machines.....although they are FreeBSD for desktop use and NetBSD for an external use. Can't really comment on OpenBSD as I have never tried it.

However, FreeBSD as a desktop environment is excellent. I run 5 unix like OS' as a desktop. SuSE, Slackware, Debian, Solaris (although thats on a sparc) and FreeBSD.
I would say that FreeBSD is right up there with the best of them. I actually prefer it to most of the Linux Distros.

Give it a try, its free to download (ahem, unlike Micro$haft) so even if you don't like it, you can just /dev/null it