ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum

ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum (https://www.scoobynet.com/)
-   Non Scooby Related (https://www.scoobynet.com/non-scooby-related-4/)
-   -   Photo competition - round 1 - 'Night Time' - discussion thread (https://www.scoobynet.com/non-scooby-related-4/278262-photo-competition-round-1-night-time-discussion-thread.html)

AndyC_772 04 December 2003 08:18 AM

To keep the competition entries together and reasonably tidy, post discussions here :)

Handy link to the competition entries here

[Edited by AndyC_772 - 12/4/2003 8:22:33 AM]

dba 04 December 2003 08:41 PM

will defo enter,but i need another 2 weeks to buy equipment and take pics

can the deadline for "nights" be extended until mid Jan?

TopBanana 04 December 2003 08:45 PM

I like your entry Andy. Good exposure :)

I've got a few ideas... just need to get out there

AndyC_772 04 December 2003 09:15 PM

jlanng: Thanks :)

dba: Better ask Mr Cookie that one, it's his idea after all ;)

Personally I'd prefer to have the vote on this round completed by Christmas, then we can start a new round in time for everyone that gets a new camera from Santa and wants ideas for things to do with it.

Several people have mentioned wanting new equipment now - maybe we should try to make sure that the theme for the next round is a bit less demanding on the technical side?

BTW if anyone's stuck for ideas, there's another photo comp here, which is being organised by members of the Canon SLR forums at DPReview. There's some amazing photography there; this month's theme is 'opposites'.

TopBanana 04 December 2003 09:20 PM

Portraits might be a good idea for next time

dba 04 December 2003 09:22 PM

thanks for the link Andy,but for me the appeal of this comp is to get some critical views from those that know without fear of ridicule :)

ProperCharlie 04 December 2003 09:46 PM

hello,

i liked both the entries so far. first one was very *evocative* ;). could someone host my pic do you think? i promnise promise promise to sort myself out with webspace asap...

pretty please...

it's a bit shoddy in any case but i thought another one would brighten the thread up, if nothing else.

tia

Charlie.

Sbradley 04 December 2003 09:48 PM

Hi Charlie,

Chuck it over, as big as you like (ooh err) and I'll do the honours for you.

S(imon)B

ProperCharlie 04 December 2003 09:53 PM

thanks, mr. bradley. for the sake of ease i'm gonna send it from the wife's email as i'm on her laptop right now and the webmail seems to be suffering a bit. don't send her any funny messages ok?

cheers,

charlie.

Sbradley 04 December 2003 09:58 PM

As if ;)

<rubs hands in anticipation...>

SB

ProperCharlie 04 December 2003 10:06 PM

should be on its way...

... i'll be monitoring the POP box closely :)

Sbradley 04 December 2003 10:39 PM

It's up.

Fnaar fnaar.

SB

Mr.Cookie 05 December 2003 03:40 AM

Sorry everyone i've been working nights for last two weeks at guildford sorting office (in the kitchen) and can't seem to sleep much before 9 so not gettting to post when most normal people do ;) with regards to holding out till january i'll go with what ever anyone else says :), and andy it's not really my idea i just copied another forum ;) lol :D

Cheers
Si

Ted Ed 05 December 2003 08:12 AM

Not critisizing anybodies photos here, but all photo comps now in any mags or on here seem to be not really about the photo that was originally taken but who can work Photoshop 7 the best afterwards.

Gone are the days when the picture caused the WOW factor (and you could'nt do the same with a darkroom)

Simon

ProperCharlie 05 December 2003 09:03 AM

anyone know why my pic looks a bit fuzzy? suppose it could be cos the camera wasn't very solid on the tripod, as i had a video camera mount for some reason that escapes me. i'm new to digital photography and it's not quite the same as the 35mm style. Thanks to SB for rotating and resizing for me. Also the candles were too bright - i was trying to get the fire to roar a bit more so it would be relatively brighter. also i wanted the bottle of whisky to be a bit more prominent. Dunno if lots of definition gets lost with the w/a attachment or it's just the low light/long exposure.

I promise to try harder next time... :)

tiggers 05 December 2003 09:08 AM

Ted Ed,

I know what you mean, but we're in the digital age now and you can do things in Photoshop that darkrooms can only dream about.

Also if you shoot your images on a pro digital camera in RAW format the inital image will look very soft and flat. Photoshop is really the digital darkroom, but with more control and variation.

tiggers.

AndyC_772 05 December 2003 09:15 AM

ProperCharlie: did you use the camera's self timer? If not, you probably wobbled the camera when you pressed the shutter release - a lightweight tripod, especially standing on a soft carpet, won't stop this from happening.

ProperCharlie 05 December 2003 09:21 AM

Andy - i thought that might be the case. i took the picture several times and that was the best result. How come your head didn't move in your picture, seeing as it was 0.6s exposure? I thought about 1/50th was needed before people appear still.

Dream Weaver 05 December 2003 09:23 AM

Will have a go, just need a shot now.

AndyC_772 05 December 2003 09:54 AM

ProperCharlie: 1/50 may be enough to stop people who are walking about, but I'm not! I just kept still and took the photo using a remote release held in my right hand.

Goochie 05 December 2003 09:55 AM

Can someone please drop me an email so I can send them my entry to host.

AndyC_772 05 December 2003 10:20 AM

My email address is in my profile - if you send it to me I can put it up this evening.

Sbradley 06 December 2003 01:56 PM

Likewise.

SB

Mr.Cookie 07 December 2003 05:55 AM

Boooiiing

Sorry guys not been able to do much at mo working nights suck :( especially when thats the topic :D, i'll hopefully take mine sometime this week, some good photo's in there too :cool:

Si

AndyC_772 07 December 2003 06:53 PM

FYI, there's a thread in the bugs/feature requests forum (ie. the one nobody reads!) suggesting the creation of a dedicated photography forum. I reckon it's a good idea - there seem to be enough posts here in NSR on the subject, and the photo comp keeps dropping off the front page.

The thread it here - do post your support if you think it's worthwhile.

Andy.

ProperCharlie 07 December 2003 10:34 PM

what's happening about the voting btw?

at least 2 of the pics on the thread aren't taken at night but i would think it would be up to the submitter to decide if it fits in with the theme. skyline's i would think is not eligible for obvious reasons (ie because it's a picture of north america ;)).

i have ideas for a better picture but so far have not got round to taking it.

keep up the good work.

Charlie :)

Pistol_Pete 07 December 2003 11:26 PM

very sorry AndyC - posted a comment in the photo thread before realising there was this thread for replies :(

Mr.Cookie 08 December 2003 02:55 AM

Charlie

I'm going to try and sweet talk a mod or simon/shaun ;)

If not i'll hold a seance with Andy Warhol :D

Si

judgejules 08 December 2003 04:06 AM

Hi All,

I've just posted up my two tries :)

All comments welcome as I'm just starting out.

Regards,

~Jules

[Edited by judgejules - 12/8/2003 4:09:12 AM]

Mr.Cookie 08 December 2003 05:21 AM

Jules

I really like your second one, it's sort of inviting but scarey at the same time, almost fangorn like :)

Si