ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum

ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum (https://www.scoobynet.com/)
-   Non Scooby Related (https://www.scoobynet.com/non-scooby-related-4/)
-   -   Ban smoking in pubs and clubs? (https://www.scoobynet.com/non-scooby-related-4/275780-ban-smoking-in-pubs-and-clubs.html)

scoobynutta555 26 November 2003 07:56 PM

Following todays recommendations from medical 'wise' men. Good idea or not?

I must say I am an ex smoker, and when I go out now I dont appreciate smelling like an ashtray when having visited a pub or club.

So Id be in favour of a ban.

Ringpeas 26 November 2003 07:57 PM

Sounds good in practice, can't see it working though.

Ali Scott 26 November 2003 07:58 PM

Ain't gonna happen...

Wish 26 November 2003 07:59 PM

Yes, ban as soon as possible.

Ex Smoker

Butkus 26 November 2003 07:59 PM

I say ban it too.

Da Booga 26 November 2003 08:00 PM

I'd like it to happen but can't see it being enforceable.

It's one of the worst smells in the world on your clothes and hair after a night out, especially if your heads a bit delicate!

scooby-tc 26 November 2003 08:05 PM

Who will i pinch a cheeky fag off when im pi$$ed :D

Second thoughts ban the feckers all of em

ianmiller999 26 November 2003 08:07 PM

I do not believe there should be a complete ban, however smoking should be banned in restaurants and on the streets as dog ends everywhere and being in a bus stop/ following a smoker can be unpleasent. However it is generally accepted that smoking and drinking go hand in hand, so maybe in pubs split areas should be encouraged.

unclebuck 26 November 2003 08:08 PM

can't see it being enforceable.

Of course it's enforcable. Try lighting up anywhere in public in California.

TBH - it's one of the best things about visiting the West Coast. you drink in a bar and the air is clean. (and I like the odd cig with my beer)

UB:)

[Edited by unclebuck - 11/26/2003 8:09:22 PM]

jameswrx 26 November 2003 08:16 PM

Can't understand smoking, pure filth. Kill others around you without giving a sh*t about it.

If you think about smoking.. what gives smokers the right to do something detremental to non smokers health:confused:. It's socially acceptable to stand there puffing away in front of people poisoning them, wtf?. If you actually consider what smokers do it is bang out of order smoking in public/around non smokers.

If I (for some reason) had to smoke, I'd feel concious about it around other people, but the smokers I know don't seem to care. If you're gonna do it, keep it to yourself I say.

Been talking about this with the smokers at work a lot recently, they seem to think it's funny when I bring it up.

Never given it much thought til revently, but it's got my goat now!.

I might start sniffing glue, do it at work, then force everyone in the room around me to do it. Then perhaps I'll start on smack and insist everyone has to have a small syringe full.

grrrr :D

logiclee 26 November 2003 08:21 PM

Sooner the better.

I'm suprised there hasn't already been a massive law suit by bar workers.

There has been a few threads on this already. A couple of our local pubs have banned smoking. They both followed the American trend, after an initial drop of in trade they are now taking more than before the ban was inplace. It appears that people will stop in the clean air longer and drink/eat more than they will in a smoky environment. In smoke filled pubs all the non smoking majority want to do is get out for some fresh air so the pub looses trade.

Nearly all my social circle are non smokers and we avoid pubs that are poorly ventillated and won't stay long in places that are smoke filled. The smell on your clothes is bad enough but smoke gets in your eyes and throat and that's before we start on any health issues. I just wish more brewery's would have the guts to ban it for a while to see how trade goes. If the Government does it that's even better.

Lee

midget1500 26 November 2003 08:30 PM

yes, we all hate stinking of smoke but all we need is properly ventilated pubs and clubs???

m18use 26 November 2003 08:36 PM

I take it your not worried about your car causing pollution then,
I presume thats ok:D If you dont like people smoking stand some where else instead of moaning about it, to55ers .

Sheepsplitter 26 November 2003 08:55 PM

Sorry if I ofend anyone but IMHO smoking is for stupid and weak willed people.
In this day and age if you haven't got the common sense to realise it's dangerous and likely to kill you in the long run your either stupid or you've never seen someone die slowly from a smoking related Cancer.
I lost my grandfather and grandmother through smoking and if you could show a film of the horrible degeneration of a human being maybe that would wake up these people to what might face them in the future.

corradoboy 26 November 2003 09:05 PM

m18use - A Porsche 911 travelling from London to Blackpool and back, with its lean running engine and catalists creates less co2 than 7 joggers running 10 miles. According to Jeremy Clarkson anyway ;). The largest contributor to greenhouse gases are dairy cows.

Back to the point. BAN IT !!!!!! It stinks, it's unhealthy to the smoker and those around them and it's un-attractive (particularly women). I think there should be a small number of bars in each area allowed a "Smoking License". These bars would require the staff to sign a legal medical disclaimer and have to publicise the fact to customers clearly on the entrances. No restaurants at all. Dropping a tab-end on the floor should carry a £100 fine, but then who would enforce that (a bit like the dog poo fines).

I used to work for a company who had almost no respect for H&S law, and smoking was permitted in the canteen where people ate. A good friend of mine, after threatening to do so for quite some time, deposited a steaming pile of horse 5h!t on the table after someone lit up while he was eating. He got a written warning, but smoking was restricted to 3 half hour slots per day. LOL

jameswrx 26 November 2003 09:09 PM

because of health and safety I'm supposed to eat my lunch in a specified 8'x12' room (which I shared today with 4 smokers)

logiclee 26 November 2003 09:29 PM

I take it your not worried about your car causing pollution then,
According to the test done in the Mirror today. When standing in a half full pub they were taking in 10 times more pollution than standing in a busy city street full of traffic.

An average night in a pub will subject a non smoker to the same toxins as smoking two fags. That means a non smoking bar worker could be smoking nearly a pack a week. All the evidence is backed by all 13 Royal Colleges of Medecine.

Can't be long before the HSC/HSE legislate to stop workers being subjected to such levels. Every other toxin exposure level is controlled under the COSHH regulations, this surely has to be bought inline.

Lee

Puff The Magic Wagon! 26 November 2003 09:38 PM

If it was upto me, I'd even ban discussion that is pro-smoking on ScoobyNet :D

I can't see why people want to ruin their own health, but it is their choice I guess.

However, I do not like it when they force their disgusting habbit on me and potentially damage my health or that of my family [img]images/smilies/mad.gif[/img]

logiclee 26 November 2003 09:48 PM

If it was upto me, I'd even ban discussion that is pro-smoking on ScoobyNet
Can't you use some of that Moderator power then James? ;) :D

Lee

P1Fanatic 26 November 2003 10:35 PM

Ban em I say. Never liked smoking tbh (until I get sh*tfaced and apparently start smoking). Like the odd doob now and again but not out and about and in peoples faces. Start with a ban in pubs and restaurants and then see how it goes.

Govt is probably worried they will lose out in taxes taken from fags.

Simon.

scoobynutta555 26 November 2003 10:49 PM

getting this arguemant cornered for the ban then ;)

ThePosh 27 November 2003 12:16 AM

I say ban...

ThePosh 27 November 2003 12:17 AM

...but after 5 pints!!!

Luke 27 November 2003 12:19 AM

ban smoking in all bars and public places etc... make the fukkers hide in the woods. Smoking is sooooooooo last year.

ThePosh 27 November 2003 12:22 AM

On a serious note, I agree it SHOULD happen but it will never happen. The government makes nice profit out of smokers (like drivers) because they up taxes as it is "unsociable".

The only chance it might happen is if a chain of non-smokin bars takes off, they would need something new to tax then (probably non-smokers ;)!)

[Edited by ThePosh - 11/27/2003 12:23:22 AM]

Buckrogers 27 November 2003 12:29 AM

Shouldn't ban smoking. Should have seperate area's and better ventilation.

If I was presented with the choice of drinking in a smoking pub or non-smoking, I'd go in the smoking pub.

Its about choice. And all you ex-smokers are the worst, bollox to the lot of ya ;)

imlach 27 November 2003 12:45 AM

I find smoking in restaurants to be the most offensive. You get some twats at a table next to you that HAVE to have a fag between courses - fair enough, but a fag between THEIR courses doesn't necessarily mean it is timed to be in sync with other table's courses. Mention it, and you get your head bitten off for being overly sensitive and abusing their human right to smoke - and anyway, the restaurant allows it, so not their problem.

I entertain people at home with a meal, and they almost rush through their course to get outside for a puff. WTF!

How do these people fly anywhere these days if they can't survive without lighting up 2 seconds after stuffing their gobs full of food?

Beyond belief.....