ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum

ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum (https://www.scoobynet.com/)
-   ScoobyNet General (https://www.scoobynet.com/scoobynet-general-1/)
-   -   Visit from police about noisey exhaust (https://www.scoobynet.com/scoobynet-general-1/275734-visit-from-police-about-noisey-exhaust.html)

rob oneill 26 November 2003 05:17 PM

Had a visit from the police today, aparrently Ive been coming in at 2-3 in the morning and waking one of my neighbours up. Utter rubbish! If im out in my car at night, Im never in after midnight.
I know who it is, its an old lady who has waged a one woman campaign to prevent anyone in the road parking outside her house, even though she only has one car, and a drive to park it in.

Anyway, to the point! I cant let this old bag think shes won the battle, I pay my road tax and if there are no other spaces I will park outside her house.
The police said that If they get another complaint about me then they will check my car for noise levels.
I want to go and get this done myself before I rebell:D:D to make sure I am legal. Dont want to have to remove my full decat:(

Where can I get this done in the runcorn/chester/warrington area.
What are the regulations on it?
Anyone else had any experience in these matters?

Thanks, ROB sshhhhh!!! i mean rob;)

[Edited by rob oneill - 11/26/2003 5:20:00 PM]

stormyuklondon1 26 November 2003 05:23 PM

i would make a point of parking o/s her house whether there is any other spaces in the road or not. if she says anything, remind her that you pay tax, and as such have a right to park there. and do it with a smile on your face. that'll pi55 her off! ooh, and if you can park taking up two spaces!

16vmarc 26 November 2003 05:23 PM

Some people really piss me off, bet you were fuming m8.

scooby-tc 26 November 2003 05:28 PM

Park on her drive then :D

rob oneill 26 November 2003 05:30 PM

Aye, she certainly did piss me off, and as soon as I know if my cars legal, I will park there more often:D
Shes a bit of a sad case realy, on one occasion she came out to tell me off and I noticed a camera in her hand, We had a few words and I said I was not going to listen to her anymore and got in my car, so she started snapping away, collecting evidence LOL:D:D, I gave her a sarcastic smile for a few of them:D

What a wierdo.

Krade 26 November 2003 05:31 PM

Cut n paste from another site but it deosnt really help too much.

All parts fitted to a motor vehicle which is being used on the road have to be Type Approved. This includes the WHOLE exhaust system on a car.
These parts can be identified by Type Approval Marks, normally similar to the British Kite Mark, and regulated under section 54 to 65 of the road traffic act 1988. It is an offence to use a vehicle on a road with a non-type approved part.
If you have removed your Catalytic converter from your exhaust then I would suggest that your exhaust is no longer type approved and you are committing an offence. Your Dad is correct when he says that your car may fail any omissions tests, IT WILL.
It will not only fail but you may also be causing damage to your engine management system as well. Your car would no doubt fail an MOT test.

If you are stopped at the roadside by the Police and the Vehicle Inspectorate and tested for omissions it will also fail the test. Then the vehicle would be closely examined, and when the inspectors find that your Catalytic converter is also missing, it would show a willful act on your part. You would then be issued with an immediate prohibition by the vehicle inspectorate and would not be allowed to drive your car any further, it would have to be recovered at your own expense !
It is possible you could then receive a summons to go to court and a heavy fine. In any case you would have a set time limit to have your car fixed and no matter how old it is, it would have to be subject to a FULL MOT before the prohibition would be lifted so you could drive the vehicle on the road again.

It should also be noted that if you are found to be driving the car on a road with the prohibition still in force, this is a serious offence which would result in an appearance in court and a heavy fine!
My advice would be to replace your Catalytic converter IMMEDIATELY!

[Edited by Krade - 11/26/2003 5:33:00 PM]

tweenierob 26 November 2003 05:32 PM

Not suggesting you actually do this but......;)

If her car is not on her drive, you can 'legally' park across her driveway and she cannot do anything about it. It is a different matter if she has a car on her drive then you must not block the actual driveway itself....

I had exactly the same prob with my last neighbours, My scoob was parked in a garage area away from the houses and the residents hated it..
I had a call from the police and they noise tested my car (full Blitz :eek:) The policeman was a fellow scoob owner and my car passed;) but i know exactly how you feel[img]images/smilies/mad.gif[/img] I wanted to sh!t on their doorstep:D

Rant over:D

Rob

catalunya199 26 November 2003 05:34 PM

i believe the legal limit is 108 db.

i heard you can have a full de cat if you do track days and racing just say you havent had time to take it off from the last track day

redeye 26 November 2003 05:51 PM

im afraid i would have to tell her to f*^k off and mind her own buisness,then make as much noise as possible.if the police aint there what are they gonna do.your word against hers.
thats my opinion anyway.

subarujimmy 26 November 2003 06:04 PM

The leagl limit for any exhaust is fitted to a road vehicle is 102Db. You may be able to get your car tested at an M.o.t station for noise, but i dont think any will have the calibrated equipment. But if you ring your local Vehicle inspectorate test station, I think they would probably carry out an noise level check, although you will probably have to pay for it :(
Hope this helps :) and dont let her get you down :)

M0NEY 26 November 2003 06:13 PM

What year is the car?

If its a 93 so older than 10 years, couldnt you argue it doesnt need cats? Or does that only apply for emissions and not db?

Poor Guy 26 November 2003 06:17 PM

hehe. i love this sort of thing round me. i have a '73 GT6. its probly responsible for half the pollution in the world, hehe, cat doesnt appear in my dictionary for cars.

as its 1st use was pre '76 my 'exhaust noise should be based o the codition of the silencer.'

hehe, 2 new straight throughs on it from a 6-2-1 mani. its LOUD!

*Sonic* 26 November 2003 06:21 PM

Rob

Ive got a Sound Level Meter if you want to check your levels

Am working in Warrington (Winwick at the moment, so not a prob to meet up) but make it quick as I go to Vegas on Saturday Morning :)

Steve

Steve001 26 November 2003 06:45 PM

Have a meet at your house :D:D the more the better. even BETTER still have a party for all your scooby m8's til 3am! ;)

(bet she drives a Micra or Rover 25)

redeye 26 November 2003 07:01 PM

PAARRRTY im up for that.lets make some real noise.

Steve001 26 November 2003 07:05 PM

The 'Warrington BIG ONE' :D:D

BTW is it a bring your own

bb
bb
bb
bb
bb
bb
bb
bb
bb
bb
bb
bb
bb
bb
bb
bb
bottle party (soz about the stutter) ;)

[Edited by Steve001 - 11/26/2003 7:12:42 PM]

Carl2 26 November 2003 07:22 PM

102db at what revs?

Steve001 26 November 2003 07:28 PM

if rally noise test is a guide??? 4,500 at 2 metres (i think)

Kane 26 November 2003 07:32 PM

rather than make the situation worse why dont you do the adult thing and go see her and sort it out there and then. Assure her you dont come in at a certain time etc etc and that you wont be doing it agian. Also point out that rather than going to the police she should come to you???

Unless you did come in at that time and are unapproachable???

Thats the enighbourly thing to do...and the adult thing

Steve001 26 November 2003 07:45 PM

Yes your right Kane

but it sometimes does'nt work that way :(

had a major problem with a Dic*head next door to me, who thought that i, parked legally BTW, should NOT park near his house. allmost came to blows at one point as he said he would key the car!! funny he seemed to go all quiet after i said i would break his legs!! I think he was perfectly in the right as he found it difficult to park his car (in a space 2 cars long) after driving home pi*sed and i dont mean a couple of pints on the way home either [img]images/smilies/mad.gif[/img]

Steve

BTW the party idea still seems good thou ;)

Katana 26 November 2003 07:47 PM

Stick it in her pooper. Lets see which is noisier. :D

scooby_si 26 November 2003 07:49 PM

i wood agree try & do diplomatic thing & if all else fails u can always bring yer friends with antilag round ;) lol. There are a list of measurements from various distances etc i'll try & dig it out later........
Si

darms 26 November 2003 08:06 PM

Rob

Sounds like the next Scooby Meet is on your road then....

Nice!

MrFlibble 26 November 2003 08:16 PM

Loud exhausts sound great on a race track/open road. Pain in the ar$e in a residential area!

redeye 26 November 2003 08:21 PM

i take it your not coming to the party then.

Spoon 26 November 2003 08:27 PM

Kane- A grown-up surfaces.

The old lady was daft reporting you but how childish are you really wanting to antagonise an old lady, well hard m8?

Life's too short, go and see her, you may just be surprised.

MrFlibble 26 November 2003 08:27 PM

No can do. I'm taking the old lady out for the evening. Sounds like she could do with some peace & quiet!

redeye 26 November 2003 08:31 PM

you should have brought her to a scooby meet lol.

calgonis 26 November 2003 08:42 PM

Offer to take her for a spin so she can fully analyse the extent of the exhaust sound :D

Andrew

subarujimmy 26 November 2003 09:11 PM

Oh yeah, well spotted carl2, at 4,000 rpm standstill (obviously) lol :)