ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum

ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum (https://www.scoobynet.com/)
-   ScoobyNet General (https://www.scoobynet.com/scoobynet-general-1/)
-   -   Which is more expensive to run. A classic or bug eye? (https://www.scoobynet.com/scoobynet-general-1/275130-which-is-more-expensive-to-run-a-classic-or-bug-eye.html)

Ray_li 24 November 2003 11:11 PM

as title. UK MY99-01 compared to a UK MY02 bug eye (wrx i think) Currect me if im wrong

Ray

talizman 24 November 2003 11:19 PM

Not a great deal of difference between fuel consumption, insurance and servicing.

The main difference would be the purchase price/repayments.

Ray_li 24 November 2003 11:32 PM

talizman

You always have a sensible answer for me and its always good advise. Thank you :) But why are you mostly first to reply? Are you looking out/over me? :D

Ray

kart_man 24 November 2003 11:34 PM

Are the service intervals not wider on the new age Subarus though ? 10k instead of 7.5 k ??

Might be talking cr4p, but I thought they were wider now.

Dave

talizman 24 November 2003 11:51 PM

kart man, you are right about the servicing intervals, so the bug eye intervals are a couple of months longer than the classic.

The timing belt is still 5 years or 60K miles for both models though.

The servicing prices are pretty similar IIRC.

If we imagine the car will be owned for 3 years for example (36K), the following applies.....

Classic - 4.8 services. (5th due at 37,500 miles)

Bugeye - 3.6 services. (4th due at 40,000 miles)

So, as a rough rule, over 3 years a Classic will save you 1 service interval and associated cost. Circa £140.

Divide this extra cost over the 3 years of ownership and we are talking an extra £3.88 a month. Hardly worth mentioning, is it? ;)

As for replying to your posts Ray Li, what can I say?
I guess I'm just a mountain of useless information! :D

Katana 25 November 2003 12:48 AM

I think he likes you Ray.. ;)

T5NYW 25 November 2003 06:44 AM

The newage is 10Kmiles or 12months witchever is first. so on normal 10k motoring 3 in three years. They are alsom about 10% cheaper on insurance ;) my new £30K STi7PPP&PHP was 10% cheaper than my MY99UK classic with B/Box and Lowered

The classics were every 7.5Kmiles or 6months but uncertain ;) so possibly twice as many services.

I have a newage STi7PPP but use my own service schedule ;) every six months and use Fully synthetic :D 12 month's is way to long for such a high performance engine IMHO

speedking 25 November 2003 08:07 AM

Plus you would have 1-2 years warranty still on MY02 possibly reducing costs:)

jmk 25 November 2003 08:17 AM

Make sure the bug eye is a UK one re servicing intervals. Mate bought a new one as a Euro import and it needs to be serviced every 7.5k - basically this seemed a bit of a con by Subaru UK to try and 'encourage' people to buy UK ones; they did struggle however as you could get an import for approx £16k in 2001 verses approx £22k from a dealer due to more favourable exhcange rate.

Suggest if you want fastest get a classic, if you commute every day and want a more refined and newer car, likely to still have some warranty, get a bug eye and spend the extra £1-4k. Personally, I'd get a bug eye as they seem to be a very good price at the moment and may have perhaps over depreciated since the blob eye came out.

DJ140 25 November 2003 09:17 AM

MY 03MY (WRX PPP) does another 3-4 MPG, so fuel cost should be around 15% less too. That's compared to a standard 00MY Turbo.

Dan

JockyTT 25 November 2003 09:49 AM

As an addendum I've just had the 10k service done on a bug eye and paid £138, with another £120 for the bodywork treatment if you want that too (one local dealer said the car doesn't need it and most people didn't take it)

ADP 25 November 2003 09:53 AM

also take into consideration depreciation, though saying which will depreiate fastest could cause a cat fight on this forum.

little differences:

classic will be cheaper for tyres(if standard 16 inch)
bugeye IS slightly more fuel efficient
insurance? bug maybe a little cheaper, not sure.

Ray_li 25 November 2003 07:45 PM

Thanks guys. Was just asking., still not in a position to buy :(

Everybody loves Ray:)