ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum

ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum (https://www.scoobynet.com/)
-   Non Scooby Related (https://www.scoobynet.com/non-scooby-related-4/)
-   -   Connected to Vodafone Live by accident all night! (https://www.scoobynet.com/non-scooby-related-4/274752-connected-to-vodafone-live-by-accident-all-night.html)

rob oneill 23 November 2003 11:21 PM

Ive got a GX10i and it is very easy to connect to Live by accident.
After a few beers last night I accidently connected without knowing. Didnt realise until I looked at it at 10AM today, it was probably connected from about 2AM thismorning!! :(
Cant find the charges on their website, anyone like to guess how much my drunken mistake is going to cost me?

Thanks, Rob

Fatman 23 November 2003 11:34 PM

I'm not an expert, but I was under the impression that you pay per bit/byte of data. If the phone was idle (i.e. not downloading tones, pics etc) then it might not be so bad as all that???

SiDHEaD 23 November 2003 11:44 PM

Correct, GPRS is on the amount downloaded. Not time connected. I just leave mine connected all the time. It charges by MegaByte.

Andy

Jon H 23 November 2003 11:46 PM

howdy Rob!
It depends on how you access voda live. If its gprs then it won't cost you a penny but if its gsm dialup then thats gonna sting you!

J

Sith 23 November 2003 11:49 PM

M8 did this by mistake aswell. Ooohhh, his bill hurt.

mart360 23 November 2003 11:51 PM

did the same on my spv and it was for 24hrs!!!!

phoned orange who wernt that helpfull (numpty)

just said note the date you want to contest!!

got the bill through ... no charge

as earlier people have said... gprs...you only pay for data downloaded not to connect..

ring voda and let em know.. just in case

Mart

SiDHEaD 24 November 2003 12:12 AM

oh, my friend has voda live and its over GPRS, didn't realise they had a WAP version - if you were using that, then yes it may well hurt :eek:

Andy

NotoriousREV 24 November 2003 08:33 AM

Yeah, I've done the equivalent thing on Orange (via GPRS) and nervously awaited the bill. It was nowt. Luckily.

rob oneill 24 November 2003 10:44 AM

Thanks for the info everyone. Unfortunatley it was connected by WAP. Not looking foreward to my bill now.
Anyone know how much per minute that is off peak though?
Cheers.

Graz 24 November 2003 12:43 PM

WAP is just a type of protocol primarily used for low bandwidth access to specially designed web sites. WAP can be used over GPRS or circuit switched connections.

You're Sharp GX10 should be using GPRS for WAP. Look in settings> internet settings > wap settings > vodafone live!

Edit the WAP profile, goto connection type, should be "GPRS then CSD". If it is then you probably won't get charged much :) This setting means it should use GPRS by default (charged per byte) and circuit switched data (CSD) (charged per minute) if GPRS is unavailable. It should prompt you before using CSD.

Hope this helps :)

Graz.

rob oneill 24 November 2003 02:46 PM

Graz, thanks for that mate, it is set to GPRS then CSD!:D
Sounds like I got away with it.

Thanks again, Rob:):)

[Edited by rob oneill - 11/24/2003 2:46:43 PM]

JamieMacdonald 24 November 2003 06:22 PM

My mate did this when we went to Spain a couple of months back... Woke up at 10am after a big night out to find himself connected to the WAP at INTERNATIONAL RATES! Can't remember exactly how much it was but it was over £150! Oh, how he laughed :D;)

J

rob oneill 24 November 2003 11:52 PM

Bloody ell! I should count myself lucky I didnt wake up in a forgien country then:o
Naaa, I wasnt that drunk:D:D

yoza 24 November 2003 11:55 PM

Where YOU live is a foreign country.......;)

Nice spread in Banzai mag, good work fella.

Later Yoza

rob oneill 26 November 2003 12:03 AM

LOL, cheers dude:)