ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum

ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum (https://www.scoobynet.com/)
-   ScoobyNet General (https://www.scoobynet.com/scoobynet-general-1/)
-   -   reg plate question (https://www.scoobynet.com/scoobynet-general-1/274606-reg-plate-question.html)

redeye 23 November 2003 04:29 PM

i am thinking of getting my reg plate made into a sticker so i can put it on the front of my bonnet,can anybody tell me how the police would react to this,would they stop me and tell me to take it off and put it back to original or will they let me be.
i dont want to do it if im going to have loads of hassle.
all help appreciated.

redeye

Flat 4x4 23 November 2003 04:35 PM

Two answers to this one:-

1) You have no reason for doing it, so even if the spacing and font is legal, if the Police are looking for an excuse for stopping you, this will be a good one.

2) You will get away with it,as the Police have better things to do.

I wouldn't bother - if they pulled me off a busy motorway for one digit being 1.2cms wrong (but otherwise legal), what are your local Police like ?

redeye 23 November 2003 04:44 PM

i got pulled for having a dodgy nu plate before,it was under half the size of a normal plate and had fancy writing and logos all over it.
i expected to get pulled and i did,only had to get a new one.
the one im wanting is legal size and gaps etc but i dont want to have to rip it off and risk my paintwork.all i need to know really is it legal?

redeye

Nathan L 23 November 2003 05:10 PM

The Road Vehicles (Display of Registration Marks) Regulations 2001

Fixing of front registration plates: vehicles registered on or after the relevant date

6. - (1) This regulation applies to vehicles, other than works trucks, road rollers and agricultural machines, first registered on or after the relevant date.

(3) This paragraph requires the plate to be fixed -

(a) vertically or, where that is not reasonably practicable, in a position as close to the vertical as is reasonably practicable,

(b) in such a position that in normal daylight the characters of the registration mark are easily distinguishable from every part of a relevant area having the diagonal length specified in paragraph (4).

(4) The diagonal length of the relevant area is -

(a) in the case of a mark having characters the width of which is at least 57 millimetres, 22 metres,

(b) in the case of a mark having characters the width of which is 50 millimetres, 21.5 metres,

(c) in the case of a mark having characters the width of which is 44 millimetres, 18 metres

redeye 23 November 2003 05:21 PM

cheers nathan.

quicksprint 23 November 2003 05:25 PM

And i think you will find the stick on plates are illegal to fit/use on the 'highway' now.

Plates have to made by registered companies and i am told have to be on perspex or metal backings.
Of course you could fit what you like for 'show use'......and forget to refit the street legal ones afterwards!! :D:D

and hope you don't get a tug.............

redeye 23 November 2003 05:33 PM

i think ill just do it.if i get a tug from the long arm then so be it ill make up some excuse.
thanks for all replies.

redeye