ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum

ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum (https://www.scoobynet.com/)
-   Drivetrain (https://www.scoobynet.com/drivetrain-11/)
-   -   Designing a better oil cooler.. (https://www.scoobynet.com/drivetrain-11/272773-designing-a-better-oil-cooler.html)

David_Wallis 17 November 2003 09:48 PM

some people dislike the oil cooler kits.. what about making a better oil to water cooler???

Any thoughts?

David

T-uk 17 November 2003 09:53 PM

have you monitored oil temp?

RON 17 November 2003 09:57 PM

Maybe that could assist with the warm-up, but also keep the oil cool when the motors nice and warm??

David_Wallis 17 November 2003 10:20 PM

Yes..

Im a little paranoid thats all.. I think a track day may send me over the 100's though..

Dont really want a clumbsy oil cooler if I could sort something better.. My water temps are getting close to 95 - 100 too..

David

T-uk 17 November 2003 10:30 PM

I thought decent oils are good for up to 130?

I can get mine to high 90's on road but strangely this is still cooler than my golf , which I used to hit 120's on track all the time

David_Wallis 17 November 2003 10:33 PM

the local rally guy here says his group b scoobs engine oil smells burnt after 110..

My oil filter sits almost on the headers too..

David

T-uk 17 November 2003 10:37 PM

my filter/cooler sits close to mine also.

one day I am going to cruise on the motorway , note temps and then wrap the filter and sump where the headers pass in reflective tape and try again to see if it drops temp.

and you think your paranoid:rolleyes:

[Edited by T-uk - 11/17/2003 10:40:28 PM]

David_Wallis 17 November 2003 10:54 PM

LOL..

I await your findings..

Im not that paranoid.. mark wanted me to relocate it.. Pat and I used a pry bar to move the headers whilst fitting the filter :D

David

Cord 17 November 2003 11:27 PM

we use silkolene pro 15/50 in our skylines and it is quite happy to run at 115 (how the feck do you do a degree's symbol?). After I have turned my inlet I am going to run an oil cooler where the top mount previously lived. What are you planning David?

Pavlo 17 November 2003 11:29 PM

Degree symbol: hold down the left 'ALT' key and type in 0186 on the key pad and presto º a degree symbol

Paul

David_Wallis 17 November 2003 11:31 PM

I havent got a plan yet, (other than going to bed and getting a reasonably early night)

I have heard things about the oil draining etc.. so im scared of killing my engine with something i dont 100% understand.. :o

I dont want oil that is too cold or too warm.. but just right (nursery rhyme?)

Just wondered if the std doughnut style thing could be improved on?

David

Cord 18 November 2003 12:08 AM

º º I can do it too!!!! º º

The doughnut thing can definately be improved upon. With a thermostatic valve fitted and the cooler mounted on an angle (tilted forward to catch a bit more air) and the connectors at the higher end, there is no danger of drain back (even without being titled back the cooler will not drain as the oil won't run back through the filter or thermostatic valve, also the air couldn't find it's way up the valve or filter to replace the oil). Also the thermostatic valve will mean your oil won't be cooled until it is up to temperature. Am definately putting a cooler on mine, just unsure about either top mount or possibly long thin one (oo err!!) behind the grill.

The Fixer 18 November 2003 12:30 AM

Isn't 120 Deg the magic number where shells start to fail on the scoobs, oil is getting a little too thin maybe?

Conrad

mikeesingh 18 November 2003 10:41 AM

i think i need a oil cooler
my car was got upto 130 after 4 or 5 laps at donno, when i last went.
never went past 120 with the previous sti 5 engine even after 7 or 8 laps

mikee

David_Wallis 18 November 2003 01:51 PM

that might be down to your pace rad tho.

MadMark 18 November 2003 03:09 PM

I'm interested in this - was wondering if this was going to be an issue! Previous Golf VR6 went up to 138 Degrees C on track before I fitted a very large Mocal Oil Cooler - then never got it over 105!

I imagine the Scoob puts a lot more temp into it's Oil thanks to the turbo .....

Pavlo 18 November 2003 03:20 PM

You can buy an water/oil cooler....

How about use an independant supply of cooler (that engine temp) water to cool the standard donut?

Funnily enough I have a plentiful supply of nice cool water from my chargecooler rad

Paul

Jolly Green Monster 18 November 2003 04:00 PM

How about use an independant supply of cooler (that engine temp) water to cool the standard donut?
That doesn't sound a bad idea.. with a temp controlled pump? so it can heat up in normal time frame after cold start..

Assuming your charge cooler Pavlo is no longer cooling your inlet charge?

My oil filter sits almost on the headers too..
Perhaps the new style smaller filter might help? 1cm extra air between..

Simon

Pavlo 18 November 2003 04:15 PM

My chargecooler rad is cooling the inlet still, but something tells me it will have some spare capacity.

Paul

MAD-MATT 18 November 2003 09:24 PM

Dave,i had an oil cooler on mine,it was a mocal 16 row and it gave great cooling for the oil right up to when the oil line split depositing the entire contents of my sump on the road.Lucky i was stationary at the time and had to disconect the sandwich plate and fill the oil back up at the side of the road.I am not trying to scare you hear, just be carefull where your oil lines cross the headers.

easyrider 18 November 2003 10:21 PM

Before you all shoot me down in flames--this is only an idea!!!

I know it wouldnt work on the cars with the headers close to the filter,but wouldnt a heat sink with fins on it which slides directly over the filter aid in cooling oil temps + it would be very easy to install.

easyrider 18 November 2003 10:26 PM

Or has this been done before???