ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum

ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum (https://www.scoobynet.com/)
-   Drivetrain (https://www.scoobynet.com/drivetrain-11/)
-   -   Should I call the Samaritans? (https://www.scoobynet.com/drivetrain-11/272620-should-i-call-the-samaritans.html)

V45DSM 17 November 2003 03:26 PM

UK MY99 Turbo 37k, Decat and SUS Power suction kit.

Over the last few days I notice big puffs of blue/white smoke coming out of my exhaust on start-up and a few times when I've been pulling out of juntions. I does'nt seem to do it on idle or when I'm tear-arsing along. The car seems to be running OK but when checking the oil it was way past the minimum when usally it never uses any.

I've searched around here for an explaination and there seems there are a number of causes. One thread explained that if you remove your oil filler cap you shouldn't feel any air escaping, when I removed mine i get a fairly strong puffing along with a bit of smoke.

Is my car shagged?
If so what's it gonna cost.
Should I ring 08457 90 90 90?

Cheers,

Jolly Green Monster 17 November 2003 04:30 PM

If you remove the oil filler it should be puffing a little.. and should suck when you rev the car.. but I doubt your problem would effect this anyway.

Sounds like turbo or valve seals.. no sure though.

JGM

Gary C 17 November 2003 06:28 PM

I had a Nissan turbo that started doing that.

Smoke as you pull away and on starting, though the turbo had gone. Left it a while and it went away by its self and the engine ran for another 70,000 miles with no problem (ok, a big end bolt snapped 20,000 miles later, but that was not related)

Edited to add

Thinking about it, the Nissan had a new oil return line fitted because they used to block up which forced oil through the bearing seals into the turbo. Not sure of the scooby set up.

[Edited by Gary C - 11/17/2003 6:32:12 PM]

nom 17 November 2003 08:26 PM

I think that means the turbo seals could be on their way out. Not necessarily a problem, and being a MHI turbo, should be cheap to fix if/when there is a problem :)

Jolly Green Monster 17 November 2003 08:53 PM

Yeah or an excuse for a nice upgrade ;)

JGM :)

V45DSM 17 November 2003 09:03 PM

I hope it is a cheap fix <£500. I've had the words 'new engine' running around my head.

Cheers,

<Awaits a 'sorry mate you engine is fooked' reply>

[Edited by V45DSM - 11/17/2003 9:04:59 PM]

V45DSM 18 November 2003 12:33 PM

It's got worse or I've never noticed it before. If I coast down hill in gear as soon as I press the throttle I get a big plume of smoke out the arse end. Is it still the Turbo or something worse?

Cheers,

Abbylad 18 November 2003 06:33 PM

Get it up to Palmers for them to have a look at it....you great big lemon! ;):D;):D
You can say hello to my car while you`re there, its waiting for a new short engine :D

V45DSM 18 November 2003 07:34 PM

But hey, that would mean driving down from aberdeen!

Abbylad 19 November 2003 04:28 PM

lol

scotishscooby 19 November 2003 05:01 PM

Sounds like the turbo seals are gone mate. My mates Starlet Turbo does this but much worse.
Who ever is behind hin can vanish at times!!!