ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum

ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum (https://www.scoobynet.com/)
-   Non Scooby Related (https://www.scoobynet.com/non-scooby-related-4/)
-   -   More controversial than PI*K*YS!!! (https://www.scoobynet.com/non-scooby-related-4/271800-more-controversial-than-pi-k-ys.html)

mart360 14 November 2003 08:28 PM

Well what could be more controversial then our old traveling friends...

how about a kids toy!!!!

my 11 month old has just come home with a

IVE Gotta say it.............................................

a golliwog.. blimey havent seen them for years ... last time i remeber them was on the jam jars,......

before the pc brigade moved in...

will i take it off him,, lecture him on the moral rights and wrongs...

Nope... hell be told what it is and what they used to represent...

No spin ... no Fuss and no PC

Its a kids toy....

junior romper flamesuit on

Mart

paulr 14 November 2003 08:29 PM

A 12 year old with an 11 month old son,what is the world coming to?

Spoon 14 November 2003 08:30 PM

Your spelling would be fairly high up.

ajm 14 November 2003 08:32 PM

lol! I remember having to collect marmelaide tops to get a golliwog badge!

mart360 14 November 2003 08:33 PM

who said spelling had anything to do with it...

how do you spell gollywog?

mart

Chip 14 November 2003 08:45 PM

You spell it golliwog.
Posted about these the other day as I saw then for sale in a shop in Ashburton, Devon.

Chip.

J4CKO 14 November 2003 08:50 PM

My Gran was telling me the other day that you could buy things in a shade of brown that I couldnt possibly name for fear of reprisals, lose my job over etc, apart from that it is offensive, but sure enough you could buy garments in this sympathetically named colour as late as the seventies. Perhaps we have come a little further than we think.

Working for Greater Manchester Police I have to be very cautious, I have re-evaluated any prejudice I may have had and now am the butt of a lot of jokes, mate asked me for an application form so I asked whether he was looking for a job at GMP, he said GMP, no I meant for the KKK, I always get those two confused.

Another mate (Who happens to be a Sikh) rang the other day and said if that Mark ******* of the BNP, oh sorry did I say BNP, I meant GMP I always get those two confused.

lightning101 14 November 2003 09:04 PM

The reason the golliwog was removed from robersons jam jars was that immigrants were cutting them out and forging passports and bus passes.

zero77 14 November 2003 09:07 PM

Mart360,

Enlighten me, what did they used to represent and why?

LB4 14 November 2003 09:10 PM

LOL @ lightning .. :eek:

mart360 14 November 2003 09:10 PM

good one ....

Ill have to ask my mum!!!

its been a long time ..... if i remember

i may be wrong!!! but as far as im concernedits not going to be removed from him for PC reasons

mart

Spoon 14 November 2003 09:11 PM

The reason the golliwog was removed from robersons jam jars was that immigrants were cutting them out and forging passports and bus passes.

Hahahahahahahaha, that made my laugh. :D :D

zero77 14 November 2003 09:14 PM

Mart,

Thats ok as it's your Prerogative, however, how are you going to explain what the word 'golliwog' actually means...

JoanUK300 14 November 2003 09:14 PM

theres gonna be a joke there soon........I can feel it coming on.....

Joan.

zero77 14 November 2003 09:15 PM

lightning,

Very funny, but I bet you would not say that in front of a load of rastas in lozels...

zero77 14 November 2003 09:18 PM

Mart,

This might help you:

He fell foul of the censors in the 1980s for bullying Noddy. He was named and shamed as a "legacy of slavery"...

Spoon 14 November 2003 09:24 PM

Zero77-

He fell foul of the censors in the 1980s for bullying Noddy.
I bet you wouldn't say that in front of Big Ears in Chiswick either. :D

mart360 14 November 2003 09:26 PM

and after a search

golliwog* - a name invented for a black-faced grotesquely dressed (male) doll with a shock of fuzzy hair

i know he was pulled for racial overtones, but when he was created
it was not out of malice...

Some freainds of mine who are afro caribean? (spelling) bought there daughter one the jobsworth at heathrow airport was trying to confiscate it when they went to visit there family in monserrat The reason it might offend people.........

was that why cabbage patch dolls dissapeared??

Mart

Bravo2zero_sps 14 November 2003 09:30 PM

FPMSL @ Lightning101 :D

Markus 14 November 2003 09:32 PM

Yet another PC victim.

I remember the Golliwog on Robertsons Jam jars from my youth. Never made me a racist or anything.

I think it was simply banned as people would call black folks golliwogs and thus it became used as a racial slur and thus Robertsons could not be seen to support this so they had to abandon thier mascot.

I think it's a sad sad state of affairs. the PC lobby has really gone too far these days.

ajm 14 November 2003 09:33 PM

LOL!

http://www.geocities.com/mrjumjum/Papa.JPG

Hello Dave!!! :D

[Edited by ajm - 11/14/2003 10:04:54 PM]

yoza 14 November 2003 09:46 PM

Q: Why is it controversial?

A: Because you make it so.

GollyWog..snigger, snigger, chuckle, chuckle. So what!

To me, its no big deal, its a doll!:rolleyes:

IMHO if you find this amusing then you havent yet had the pleasure of intergrating with people who are black.

Try to see beyond the colour, race, or creed, then you will find that people are no "different" than yourselves.

If you dont like someone, fair enough, but dont let the colour of their skin put you off before you even try. It will be you thats missing out.

zero77 14 November 2003 10:05 PM

Very funny spoon.....:D

zero77 14 November 2003 10:08 PM

Chill Yoza,

no one is being racist on here, if then were then they would split the word Golliwog in half "Golli" and "wog" and then this thread could become a little heated but at present it is a little bit of light hearted fun, which I think was the point of Marts original comment...group hug everyone..:

yoza 14 November 2003 10:17 PM

I am well chilled, cheers.

I didnt want my reply to sound like I was wound up, because Im not, each to their own and all that.

And I didnt want to sound like I was preaching, but I just typed what I thought.

lightning101 14 November 2003 11:08 PM

Kiss my black ass - its just a bit of fun.

mart360 14 November 2003 11:25 PM

I agree with yoza's comments its only controversial because people make it so...

I grew up with the gollywog on the jamjar and the little collectable figurines,, there was then as there is now no malice or dislike intended.. as i child if anything i was envious cos one of my mates had a gollywog and i didnt..

when i was at school my mates knickname was golly, because he bore a minor resemblance... he did not object, he still uses the knickname today...

prehaps ill have to find a pi***golly now that will cause probs

Mart

Leslie 14 November 2003 11:55 PM

As Markus said, no malice was meant by the name Golliwog nor by calling paint nigger brown. It was purely a name for the doll or the product and when it was used no-one even gave a thought about black people. Or even when it was used as a symbol on Robertson jam etc.

It was only made significant in the minds of the PC or Roman sandal brigade and magnified in a totally unnecessary manner.

Les

-=Buzz=- 15 November 2003 09:39 AM

I've got about 15 of the little plaster Robertsons golliwog band figures in the loft :)