ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum

ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum (https://www.scoobynet.com/)
-   Wheels, Tyres & Brakes (https://www.scoobynet.com/wheels-tyres-and-brakes-13/)
-   -   Which are the best Pirelli Tyres? (https://www.scoobynet.com/wheels-tyres-and-brakes-13/271796-which-are-the-best-pirelli-tyres.html)

cosmicchris00 14 November 2003 08:16 PM

Which are the best Pirelli Tyres?. I'm considering some Pirelli Assimetrico tyres and wondered if any one has had them and has an opinion on them. Are they as good as or better than Pirelli Nero?
Dry grip and wet grip how do they compare with F1's, Michelin, Toyo, etc.

what would scooby do 14 November 2003 10:14 PM

forget the pirellis chap - they are sh1te, stick with toyo's or goodyear f1's

I had aysimetricos on my car for two hours before I drove to a tyre place to get them off..

johnfelstead 15 November 2003 12:57 AM

Pirelli road tyres are pants to the point of being dangerous in the wet. The only decent tyres they make are the specials used on track.

They are a good choice for trackdays in summer as they are rock hard so dont overheat too much and you can slide around a lot for fun.

Gidney&Knowlesy 15 November 2003 07:17 AM

Binned ones - go for something like Toyos T1S; great stuff

mark@wrx 15 November 2003 07:30 AM

Well just to throw my 2p worth in, I prefer my Pirelli's over Toyos. They have much more feel and don't tramline anywhere near as much as Toyo's. Yet again, this is another discussion that is purely personal choice!

currymonster 15 November 2003 09:59 AM

Pirelli assimetrios are good in the dry and adequate in the wet. They give good feel and reassuring cornering.

After reading the hype on here i got a set of goodyear F1s in 205/50 16 - huge mistake. Felt like the sidewalls were made out of bubblegum. The feeling was almost as if the rear shocks had gone, lurching dangerously when cornering, I was almost glad when a month later a stone ripped the sidewall out of one so I had to change back to pirellis. Others have confirmed the overly flexible sidewall. I didnt find them very grippy either.

The new pirellis rossos are meant to be good and won a tyre test in a mag about 10 months ago or so. I saw a post on here from a few guys running them on scoobs who said they were good. Do a search see if you can find it.

Cheers Cal

Nezz10 15 November 2003 10:03 AM

I too prefer my Pirelli's. I have tried Eagle F1's which are bloody excellent in wet or dry. Bridgestone S-03's which are great in the dry but not so great in the wet. Toyos which are a good all rounder but not as good as the Eagles and I am now trying a set of Pirelli's which as said above do not tramline as much as others (big issue on 18's), are better than the Toyos IMO but in the wet they are almost as bad as the S-03's.

For my next set I will be going back to the Eagles because I find that they are the best all rounder. Not too much tramlining, superb in the wet and great in the dry, BUT a soft compund so easily worn down but hey, thats is what they are meant for!!

Lenny. 15 November 2003 12:08 PM

P Zero Neros. I like 'em

JIM THEO 15 November 2003 12:12 PM

Pirelli PZero "C" only all the others are c**p in my opinion!
JIM

brett555 15 November 2003 12:15 PM

I had P-Zero's on one of my cars , they were great ... i felt i could give more in the wet , and in the dry they were great. Only thing i went through them quite quick.

brett

The Zohan 15 November 2003 12:29 PM

Best Pirelli tyres are yet to be made that are better than a lot of other tyres avaliable at the moment, in the mean time try Toyos Proxies T1's and Goodyear GS D2 or D3's both of which i have tried and loved, the Goodyears have the edge in the wet. IMHO

Leslie 15 November 2003 12:40 PM

Forget the Pirellis, Goodyear FI GSD3's are the one's !

Les

M8 NNY 15 November 2003 01:07 PM

Again running p-zeros 225/35/18 on a classic found them very good, wear well, grip in wet and dry and also give good feed back not tryed any others so i won't take the chance ,i'll stick to what i know

Jap STi 3 15 November 2003 01:53 PM

Whats everyones thoughts on the old Bridgestone Potenza SO1's just had a blowout and have got to get new ruber on Monday.

Any Help will be well appreciated.......

OH and how much, just been quoted £104 each

DJB 15 November 2003 08:13 PM

Pirelli P Zero's were the worst tyres I've had on the Impreza. Ok I suppose in the dry but scary in the wet. Goodyear F1s are the business.

D.

currymonster 15 November 2003 11:10 PM

Guys be more specific, p zero assimetrico, nero or rosso?

Cal

Riftzone 16 November 2003 08:33 AM

no complaints with my p7000's....

dowser 16 November 2003 11:28 AM

When talking P Zero's you must be more specific; the P Zero Corsa street legal slick is an excellent tyre with aquaplaning it's only real weakness (to be expected) :)

misty 16 November 2003 07:41 PM

P Zeros quote from autocar after a substantial tyre test with an m3 BMW. "If you want an immediate performance increase in your car then get a set of P Zero's fitted, how much would it cost in terms of engine modification to gain 5 seconds around the track??"
dave http://smileys.smileycentral.com/cat/18/18_3_103.gif

bartmanuk 16 November 2003 08:43 PM

try the firestones FH SZ-40's,sh!t hot in the wet and dry,and they got better test results than the f1's at tyretest.com (oh and they're alot cheaper!!!)

nigel s 16 November 2003 09:47 PM

Had the P Zero Rosso :( , thought they were pants in the wet, so had them replaced with F1 GSD3. Huge leap in grip levels and transformed the car totally.