ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum

ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum (https://www.scoobynet.com/)
-   Drivetrain (https://www.scoobynet.com/drivetrain-11/)
-   -   Workshop manual for EJ20 Engine (https://www.scoobynet.com/drivetrain-11/271489-workshop-manual-for-ej20-engine.html)

jubba6 14 November 2003 12:15 AM

I have just brought a 1995 Legacy 2.0 Turbo (uk model), Unfortunatly there is a nasty noise in the engine.

I am trying to source a workshop manual that covers this engine.

I believe that it is the EJ20 engine which also powers the Impreza WRX's.

Would it be the same engine in a UK Impreza 2.0 Turbo.

Any ideas on where to get one.

[Edited by jubba6 - 11/14/2003 12:33:30 AM]

Mortywrx 14 November 2003 10:51 AM

dont think they actually made a workshop manual as such? I think it was only for the early 1.6 & 1.8 there is the impreza maunal out but not sure what it covers in relation to the engine?

Darren

UkLegacyT 14 November 2003 11:45 AM

ive never seen a manual for one either mate.

i have a 1996 legacy turbo, but is same type as yours. the engine is the same bottom end and manifolds etc.
the difference between the impreza and legacy is in the heads. the legacy uses older style lifters and also rockers, whereas the impreza has no rockers.

what type of noise are hearing? is it a loud tapping from the heads?
if so it will be the legacy lifters, they are prone to becoming loud.

best way to overcome it is to fit impreza heads, but to do this you also need to fit the impreza pistons, as they have a different size dish due to the legacy combustion chambers being a slightly larger volume.

cheers
ian :)

MorayMackenzie 14 November 2003 11:58 AM

IIRC, The early legacy turbos run different pistons tothe impreza too... they have individual valve pockets in place of one dish across the whole piston.

You can get hold of the official Subaru workshop manuals from main dealers. Or, at least, that is where I got my one from. :)

jubba6 14 November 2003 12:00 PM

Thanks for the replies.

I raised a seperate forum relating to the engine noise please check it out.

Ian you say that the Legacy heads have rockers, does this mean that the lifters can be changed without removing the cams?

I have asked at my local Subaru dealer about a manual. They told me that they were discontinued and that they could no longer get them.

Regards

Jubba6

[Edited by jubba6 - 11/14/2003 12:03:43 PM]

jubba6 14 November 2003 12:13 PM

With regard to the pistons, the guy I brought the car from claims that the engine is bored out to a 2.2 and runs on 22B pistons, he also claims various other work like oil galleys increased, modified crank etc. He seemed genuine guy?(but don't they all)

A friend of his did all the work so hence no reciepts, after making contact with the previous owner he said he will get his engine building friend to come and have a listen to the noise.

I am wondering if the heads on the engine could have already been replaced for impreza heads.

Can anyone tell me how to identify them.

[Edited by jubba6 - 11/14/2003 12:14:46 PM]

Charlie H 14 November 2003 12:32 PM

Halfords do an american manual for most subaru models upto 1996 which includes the legacy. It is the us version of our haynes manual. I have it for my scoob and it is ok but doesn't cover the impreza turbo but does cover the legacy turbo if I remember correctly. Failing that I have seen a guy on ebay selling subaru manuals on cd one of which included the legacy.

UkLegacyT 14 November 2003 12:34 PM

i have my engine out at the moment and will be stripping the heads etc off it later, so will have a look to see whether the lifters can come out without the cams.
you may well be able to compress the valve springs to remove the rockers, but whether the cams prevent the lifters being withdrawn i cant remember off hand.

easy way to tell the heads. have a look at the rocker covers on the side of the engine. the legacy covers have ribs across them and '4-cam' and two bolts holding each coil pack in.
the impreza rocker covers are plain and smooth, and have one bolt holding each coil pack in.

cheers
ian :)

yahtzee 14 November 2003 05:14 PM

if it is lifters/tappets try castrol rs 10w60 it is strongly recommended on australian liberty/legacy sites .....cured mine :) before spending large amount of dosh :)

will

[Edited by yahtzee - 11/14/2003 5:16:03 PM]

ollo 14 November 2003 05:52 PM

You can tell if the heads have been changed by looking at the ignition coils. Original Legacy had 2 bolt coils, Impreza heads have single bolt coils.

[Edited by ollo - 11/14/2003 5:52:33 PM]

burty 14 November 2003 07:12 PM

re the workshop manual,i borrowed one from my local dealer .decided it was so usefull i photocopied the lot! seemed a good idea to start with but not towards the end.(it took 4 hours)

mart360 14 November 2003 08:54 PM

Haynes manual

covers Legacy 1990- 1998

the same engine as fitted to the gl imprezza

EJ20.

Also covers the twin and quadcam versions turbo etc

also covers ohv with tappet adjustment, and bucket and shim

covers gearbox and final drives assys etc.

downers!!

bodywork exterior! and no detailed gearbox or diff stipdown

its available direct from haynes £14.99 + 2.00 PP

Mart

Jake Van 06 July 2016 01:25 AM

Does anyone know how much oil a primary turbo needs in a 2001 legacy Ej20tt requires or how I can find a workshop manual for it

Don Clark 06 July 2016 08:12 AM

Originally Posted by Jake Van (Post 11855594)
Does anyone know how much oil a primary turbo needs in a 2001 legacy Ej20tt requires or how I can find a workshop manual for it

turbos are oil fed from the main engine supply.

These may be suitable for your needs....................

http://subaru-car.ru/manuals/legacy/

The manuals are in english