ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum

ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum (https://www.scoobynet.com/)
-   Non Scooby Related (https://www.scoobynet.com/non-scooby-related-4/)
-   -   Overtaking on crosshatched road markings (https://www.scoobynet.com/non-scooby-related-4/269710-overtaking-on-crosshatched-road-markings.html)

Carl2 11 September 2003 10:26 PM

I thought you could on hatched markings surrounded by a broken white line, if you can see it's safe to do so.

[Edited by Carl2 - 11/9/2003 10:26:50 PM]

Jiggerypokery 11 October 2003 09:17 AM

I asked this question on Five-o a while back...

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
See:

http://www.highwaycode.gov.uk/10.shtml

Areas of white diagonal stripes or chevrons painted on the road.
These are to separate traffic lanes or to protect traffic turning right.
<...>
If the area is bordered by a broken white line, you should not enter the area unless it is necessary and you can see that it is safe to do so.
<...>

So if there is:
One lane in either direction,
Separated by a diagonally striped area with a broken border on each side
... and this area is as wide as a lane, and ...
it's a long straight section with clear views,
there's nothing coming in the opposite direction,
there are no turn-offs, islands or side roads.
Would it be legal to overtake in this section given the above conditions?

Answer 1:
There is no specific law against that I am aware of, just be careful they are usually there for a reason
Answer 2:
yes, generally the areas described starting appearing round my way a couple of years ago, replacing the standard white line lane dividers. The sole purpose of them seems to be to put people off overtaking, but if it is a dashed and not solid border then you can enter them.
Answer 3:
From what I recall of my driving course the commentry would go along the lines of "designed to separate two movements of traffic which may be of danger to each other, however, it may be entered if safe to do so".
I think that was how it was put but it has been a while.

[Edited by Jiggerypokery - 11/10/2003 9:19:50 AM]

Steve vRS 09 November 2003 08:08 PM

Are you allowed to do it?

My mate recons you can as long as the lines around the hatching aren't solid.

Cheers

Steve

TopBanana 09 November 2003 08:13 PM

I do

unclebuck 09 November 2003 08:19 PM

Clarkson does. Of course, I *never* would ;)

UB:D

markr1963 09 November 2003 08:23 PM

So long as the lines aren't solid your're ok.

Mark

miraclenow 09 November 2003 08:23 PM

You are allowed to "if it's necessary " ,it is debatable if overtaking other vehicles would be a necessity in the coppers eye.

talizman 09 November 2003 08:50 PM

If the lines are solid, you must not enter the controlled zone except in an emergency.

If the lines are broken, you may enter the area in order to overtake a slow moving vehicle or to pass an obstruction.

:D

^Qwerty^ 09 November 2003 09:10 PM

Solid = Must Not
Broken = Should Not

Just don't crash if your in the broken, as it will be your fault *probably*

rik-1 09 November 2003 09:56 PM

Had a accident on the hatched area trying to avoid a driver wanting to do a U-turn in front of me. Wasn't my fault and got paid within a month by his insurers.

Carl2 09 November 2003 10:30 PM

Well, I was sort of right.........rule 109 of the highway code says:-

Areas of white diagonal stripes or chevrons painted on the road. These are to separate traffic lanes or to protect traffic turning right.
If the area is bordered by a solid white line, you should not enter it except in an emergency.
If the area is bordered by a broken white line, you should not enter the area unless it is necessary and you can see that it is safe to do so.
If the area is on a motorway and consists of a triangle bounded by continuous white lines marked by chevrons, you MUST NOT enter it except in an emergency.
Laws MT(E&W)R regs 5, 9,& 10 & MT(S)R regs 4, 8 & 9

talizman 09 November 2003 10:32 PM

Just like I said! :D

Chelspeed 12 November 2003 12:28 AM

If you check a highway code from about 5 years ago it said you can enter the hatched area bordered by broken lines if you can see it is safe to do so. So those daft three lane roads with hatched bits up the middle lane were fair game for overtaking.

Latest highway code has added the if necessary words.

Fortunatly if I'm behind someone it's necessary that I overtake so it's OK isn't it???

Daz34 12 November 2003 12:47 AM

My mate recons you can as long as the lines around the hatching aren't solid
[bud]True[/bud]