ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum

ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum (https://www.scoobynet.com/)
-   Computer & Technology Related (https://www.scoobynet.com/computer-and-technology-related-34/)
-   -   Help! Laptop Just Died (https://www.scoobynet.com/computer-and-technology-related-34/269462-help-laptop-just-died.html)

Les H 09 November 2003 08:05 AM

It just went dead without warning, will not power up at all, no lights or anything, I suspect maybe PSU related but I'm no expert. Does anyone have any idea how much these things cost to fix , its an IBM Thinkpad 600E,probably about 5 years old. I know its not worth a fortune but I only really use it for surfing the net, picking up mail and it copes admirably with anything I need to use it for.I don't want to scrap it

scoob_babe 09 November 2003 08:32 AM

laptops are a git to do anything with as nothing is interchangeable (at least that's what my old IT dept always used to say wehen we had problems). At 5 years old, its going to be totally obsolete and it sounds like nothing can be done for it :( I think the only thing you can do is get a new one and get a certain PC shop to do a data transfer for you if no-one else here can do it

Buckrogers 09 November 2003 10:58 AM

Have you tried the usual?
Reset button.
Remove battery and reseat battery.

Do you get any "lights" on the laptop when its plugged in or plugged in and switched on?

Laptop that old, if the battery has not been replaced in its life I suspect that it does not hold a charge, therefore it could just be the power adaptor thats gone?

Beauregard 09 November 2003 01:53 PM

First thing is to check the PSU. Just put a meter across it and check you get 16 volts DC. Post the result.

Stueyb 09 November 2003 09:23 PM

Well, I destroyed my laptop on thursday with 1 can of lager in the keyboard, so the old home and contents covers accidental damage. No real help I know, but just sympathising !

Les H 09 November 2003 10:05 PM

Thanks for the replys chaps, Unfortunately it does seeem to be completely dead. I have a spare power lead and have tried this plus a battery known to be good. There are no lights coming on at all, absolutely nothing. I suppose its worth getting a quote, if I could get away with £150 I would probably get it fixed. I know its old by todays standards but it does the job and if I have to replace it its gonna cost me a few quid so we will see what they say.

RichiW 09 November 2003 10:11 PM

Dam, shame that is Stuey!

;)

RichiW 09 November 2003 10:13 PM

Les, re-read Stueys post, i think your been alittle slow this evening :D

Les H 09 November 2003 11:06 PM

Richie, yes definately a little slooooooooow tonight, trouble is I'm just too damned honest

RichiW 09 November 2003 11:15 PM

I'm the same m8, but having spoken to various lads at work regarding such matters, makes me wonder who's daftest, me or them!!

Beauregard 10 November 2003 09:53 AM

Does it have a BIOS password? If it hasn't or you know what the password is you can try removing the Lithium Cell under the main battery (on a 600E it is a yellow disc a bit bigger than a 5 pence). Give it a few seconds then replace the Yellow battery and the main battery and try again.