ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum

ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum (https://www.scoobynet.com/)
-   Computer & Technology Related (https://www.scoobynet.com/computer-and-technology-related-34/)
-   -   scheduled tasks? (https://www.scoobynet.com/computer-and-technology-related-34/268122-scheduled-tasks.html)

judgejules 11 May 2003 01:45 PM

As snowcrash said, depending on your OS/BIOS/MotherBoard you should be able to use the "Wake the computer to run this task" option when using advance settings on "Scheduled Tasks".

If you have XP/2K look in start->programs->accessories->system or there abouts tools for "Scheduled Tasks" then use to the wizard to pick the apps you want to run.

A little fiddling and you can sort it.

HTH

~Jules

[Edited by judgejules - 11/5/2003 1:46:56 PM]

Hobo_Jojo 05 November 2003 12:45 PM

can i get my pc to boot up at a certain time of the day on its own? then connect to the net on its own and load up certain programs eg. overnet/edonkey defrag(and automatically start defragging)

any other funky stuff i could/should do in this regard aswell?

snowcrash 05 November 2003 01:24 PM

some bios's have an option to allow you to set a time for the computer to automatically startup...
(i.e. my old Dell P2 )
then in windows scheduler you could set it at 4am to defrag, 5am to connect to the web etc... (you might have to use some scripts to do this all automatically)

snowcrash 05 November 2003 01:25 PM

there is also WakeOnLan which can turn on yer pc.

Hobo_Jojo 05 November 2003 01:30 PM

isnt that just via a network tho?

ahwell if its too much fiddling i'l stop being lazy n turn it on myself :p

RB5-Black 05 November 2003 01:31 PM

just leave it on :)

Hobo_Jojo 05 November 2003 01:44 PM

no point, as i dont trust it to not explode, massive eleccy bill, wont get nowt from the net as its dial up n would need re connecting at unknown times or it may become sentient (i knew i shouldnt have named it skynet)

Gedi 05 November 2003 01:51 PM

Computers actually last longer when they are never turned off.

Apparently the the life expectancy of the bearings in the HD and the life of the fans is enough to warrant it against constantly turning the computer on and off and heating and cooling the silicon, eventually leading to failure.

Hobo_Jojo 05 November 2003 01:56 PM

and a massive eleccy bill :p maybe when i get broadband i'l leave it on...to download while im at work but not much point with my dial up.....i want broadband damnit!!!!!!!!!!!!! i need more money!!!!!!!!!!!!! y am i so poor? :'(

someone give me a higher paid job? :p

RB5-Black 05 November 2003 03:54 PM

does the leccy really cost that much to keep it on ?? I have no idea what powere it will pull ! :eek:

I leave my pc on all the time cause I ICS my Xbox for live... If I wasn't so lazy I'd trump upstairs and turn it on and off every time I wanted to play /stopped :p

Craig.