ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum

ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum (https://www.scoobynet.com/)
-   Non Scooby Related (https://www.scoobynet.com/non-scooby-related-4/)
-   -   Transferring a private plate (https://www.scoobynet.com/non-scooby-related-4/267947-transferring-a-private-plate.html)

Roamin Ronin 11 May 2003 11:56 PM

So I don't need to tax it now then? What kind of criteria? (Sorry to abuse your position of knowledge btw!!)

[Edited by Roamin Ronin - 11/5/2003 11:58:04 PM]

Scooby96 04 November 2003 10:48 PM

How do I go about transferring it from the seller to me (the buyer)???

Spoon 04 November 2003 11:03 PM

Get the seller to put it on retention is the easiest.

Then you are free to pop to your nearest DVLA and transfer it to your car when you feel like it.

tonybooth 04 November 2003 11:10 PM

OR....

Go to the local VRO together with correct docs. and fee. This way you can put your plate on the same day :D:D:D

TONY

Spoon 04 November 2003 11:11 PM

Tony- Logistics have to be right for that though.

If it's a dealer, they'll do it all.

Roamin Ronin 05 November 2003 09:16 AM

How do you put a registration on retention?

RESSE 05 November 2003 10:10 AM

Ring the DVLA 0870 240 1319 and ask for a retention form.

The DVLA will normally post this to you First Class.

Scooby96 05 November 2003 10:12 AM

Once thats done what does the buyer do?

jody 05 November 2003 10:34 AM

sorry to jump in, but I work for DVLA so thought i'd help out!

To transfer a private plate from one car to another you need form V317, it costs £80 to do the transfer. The person who owns the car with the private plate(donor) needs to put their details and sign the top section and the person receiving the plate puts their details in the bottom section. With the form you also need to send in both V5's, Mots if applicable and its alwasy best to send a photocopy of the tax disc for each car. (sometimes if the car has been taxed recently it doesnt show on the system).

Tp get a plate put on retention you need form V778. The person who owns the plate fills in their details put has to put you down on the form as a nominee, which means when his assignment of retention certificate comes through your name will be listed, meaning you can assign it to a vehicle in your name. The donor will need to send in his MOT, V5 and retention is £105. This price includes the fee to assign the number to a car.

Retention is easier if you aren't able to get all the documents together, but it can take uptp 6 weeks for the retention certificate to come through. You need it before you can assign the plate to your car. A Transfer is quicker, but bear in mind that the donor vehicle might need to be inspected. Most local offices will do a Retention or Transfer over the counter if they arent busy or you can just post it to the local office. You could always send it to mine (Maidstone).

Hope it helps and sorry to warble on!!!

rallycol 05 November 2003 06:44 PM

Sorry for a little thread hi-jacking.To put a plate on retention ,does the vehicle it is coming off have to be taxed,or just MOT'd,thanks Colin

jody 05 November 2003 06:59 PM

It has to have been taxed within the last 6 months.

Roamin Ronin 05 November 2003 11:37 PM

Jody, what if the tax has just run out? I'm trying to sell my plate and the tax ran out at the end of October. Do I need to re-tax it before I sell the plate? I was getting ready to fill in the SORN and send it off.

jody 05 November 2003 11:49 PM

Do i get paid for this advice :) only kidding!!

As long as you have kept it taxed since you owned it, things should be fine, there are certain criteria the donor car has to pass before any sort of retention/transfer is done, if it doesnt meet it, the car will be called in for inspection.

BUT you do need to sort something out re your tax/sorn cos a new scheme is coming in next year and they will muller you!!!

jody 06 November 2003 12:04 AM

its stuff like if there is a change of keeper/colour breaks in taxing things like that.

Roamin Ronin 06 November 2003 12:14 AM

Thanks Jody, you're a star ;)

jody 06 November 2003 12:15 AM

i know :)

Recognise!!!