ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum

ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum (https://www.scoobynet.com/)
-   General Technical (https://www.scoobynet.com/general-technical-10/)
-   -   Air-con problem (https://www.scoobynet.com/general-technical-10/26718-air-con-problem.html)

ikinder 12 July 2001 03:57 PM

During the wonderfully hot last couple of weeks I've noticed my air-con not been as cold as it used to be. On further investigation it appears to be an electrical problem. There is sufficient gas in the system. The electro-magnetic clutch on the compresssor seems to drop in and out when it wants even though the low pressure switch it healthy. Any ideas ? Pete Croney has kindly offered to fax me a circuit diagram. The car is a UK MY 97 Turbo. Does anyone know if there is a temperature sensor on the condensor in the passenger compartment ?

Regards,

Ian

p.s. Despite the popular myth, The air-con compressor doens't drop off at full throttle on the Impreza unlike some other less powerful cars. (they probably need the extra 2-3bhp the aircon consumes ;-)

Jim Dunleavy 12 July 2001 06:48 PM

There should be a sensor, if you run the blower fan at a slow speed the aircon clutch will engage and disengage regularly, does it happen with the blower on full?

ikinder 12 July 2001 07:49 PM

Hi Jim,

I regularily run the air-con with the blower on speed 1 or 2. I'll try it with it on speed 4. How does this affect things ?

Regards,

Ian

Jim Dunleavy 13 July 2001 07:42 PM

It'll keep the temp sensor in range,(it shuts off when the evaporator(or is the condensor??) gets too cool, more air blowing through it keeps it warmer) to test get the engine up to temperature, open bonnet, set blower to first speed, turn on A/C, observer compressor clutch, you'll see it drop im and out regularly, up the blower speed and notice the difference.

[This message has been edited by Jim Dunleavy (edited 13 July 2001).]

PeterPerfect 15 July 2001 11:27 PM

When the pump is running, what do you guys see through the observation window of that silver canister ?
Green bubbles or nothing at all ?

Ta
Pete

ikinder 16 July 2001 07:55 PM

Hi Peter,

I don't see any bubbles. That usually indicates low refridgerant.

Cheers,

Ian

PeterPerfect 16 July 2001 10:43 PM

Thanks Ian.

I was just checking my AC is working correcly because after having the gas recharged the bubbles disappeared....and I can see nothing in the window now...just gas I guess ?

Pete

Shark 18 July 2001 06:45 PM

Have the ECU checked. The main engine ECU controls the electronic side of the A/C

David

gadge 18 July 2001 10:42 PM

i can scan my manule pages for u f u whant but no bubbles means no gas .1 or 2 bubbles means fine lots means low if i recal write

gadge 18 July 2001 10:45 PM

i can scan my manule pages for u f u whant but no bubbles means no gas .1 or 2 bubbles means fine lots means low if i recal write

ikinder 19 July 2001 08:18 PM

Hi Gadge,

I'd really appreciate it if you could scan your manual and send the pages to ikinder@Stones.com. I'm particularily interested in the circuit diagram.

Many thanks,

Ian

gadge 21 July 2001 02:57 PM

page from my hand book is on its way by e:mail from my work