ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum

ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum (https://www.scoobynet.com/)
-   Track Days & National Events (https://www.scoobynet.com/track-days-and-national-events-25/)
-   -   Donington Park noise limits - my experience. (https://www.scoobynet.com/track-days-and-national-events-25/266907-donington-park-noise-limits-my-experience.html)

TonyG 02 November 2003 04:26 PM

I got my car checked at the circuit today to see just how loud it is, given what's been said recently about the limits, and rumours that even 'lightly modded' Scoobs might break the limit (also, I'm booked on for Nov 30th and didn't want to get thrown off after only a couple of laps). Here's the results.

My car is a MY00 classic with a full TSL exhaust system (decat downpipe, decat centre section, grp N 3.5" backbox), and an ITG panel filter. ECU is standard as is the dump valve. Engine was warm during the test, and there was no lifting off as I went past the noise meter on the pit straight. I was also the only car on the pit straight at the time.

First pass registered at 92.4 DB
Second pass registered at 92.6 DB

The limt at Donington park is 98 DB so I was comfortably within this. I must stress that this test is only valid for my car today, but it probably means that similarly-modded Scoobys are also going to be quiet enough to have no problems.

Tony.

Mellow Yellow ! 02 November 2003 05:57 PM

Brilliant Tony.

However, wind direction,(today it was gusting away from the noise meter :) ) Induction noise (from HKS and K&N kits) do also play a vital role in the readout.....

As does how far over to the nearside of the track near the noise control is fixed :)

TonyG 03 November 2003 09:34 AM

Positioning, I was about halfway across the track on the racing line (aiming for the clock).
Also, many thanks to the staff at Donington for supplying the figures.

D'man 04 November 2003 12:45 AM

Went up to Doni Sunday afternoon and I tell you there were some very loud mota's going around which have got to be over the 98db, going on the figures that Tony recorded which makes me a bit sceptical as to how enforced this rule is. Could this be they have to be seen to be enforcing the limit, but are being very leanient?

Kane 04 November 2003 03:00 PM

I am considering changing my HKS hyper muffler as presently i am registering 99.6dbm(downpipe and centre included). I was ok at CC but dont want to start booking everything and find out i cant race. Think i will go up for a sound test at some stage before next race.

Kane 04 November 2003 03:13 PM

Noted on track action conditions for Donno it is set as 105dbm that day? Is that a loud track day event???

Attu 06 November 2003 05:33 PM

Tony if you were only halfway across the track where the sound meter is then you werent trying hard enough :), you should still have had your right hand wheels in the grass at that stage ....just joking :)
Ive got a full scoobysport decat on my car and havnt had any problems at Donnington over the recent track days there.

Andy

TonyG 07 November 2003 11:49 AM

Think the scientist in me wanted some real data rather than the rumour and hearsay that's been flying round on here recently. As for not trying too hard... it was a noise test, not a 'balls out' run:p Wil try a bit harder on the 30th. :D:D:D If you're there, bring your helmet as I owe you a ride after my passenger trip round with you.

mikeesingh 07 November 2003 04:19 PM

tony, i might come down on the 30th, as long as i got my car re-maped for then, ive brought a bung for my exaust, just incase i need it

mikee

salsa-king 08 November 2003 06:40 PM

Tony
if your on track on the 30th I'll pop to see you too.

Might have new car by then ;)

Also.. your SOUND.. was that FULL fut to the floor AKA TonyG styleeee
or was it the Boy Racer Styleeeee Toni ;) woch ya m8t. Burbury BB cap and all :) lol

:)

Phil

TonyG 10 November 2003 11:58 AM

Mikee - you might need that bung ;)
Phil, if it was that Friday night I passed you, it wasn't full foot to the floor, just enough to wake you all up in the queue....:D:D
And burberry baseball cap? [img]images/smilies/mad.gif[/img] wouldn'd be seen dead in one. Now a Subaru one... that's a different story :D
Catch you on the 30th (if not before).

D'man 18 November 2003 12:48 PM

Am booked on the 30th Nov too.
Come on Mikee and Phil get em booked on and bring the confirmed
number of scoobs to four.

Jonny5 19 November 2003 12:12 AM

chaps/chappesses,

I can assure you all that they *are* getting stricter at Donny Park. On Sunday we had to remove 4 cars from the track for noise breaches. 2 of them got back on with mufflers, the other 2 did not.

It's worth remembering that what's loud to the human ear isn't always loud to a noise meter. The radical sounded ear-splittingly loud at full chat, but was reading less than 92dB on the noise meter.

To avoid unnecessary disappointment and frustration - make sure your cars are well under before handing over the hard-earned. No track day organiser likes to be put in the uncomfortable position of removing your car from the track :-(

regs,

Jonny5
BaT

DIGGY 19 November 2003 06:25 PM

Mikee,

I know you asked about photos last time you were at donno, well,
I will be there on the 30th with the ferrari 360 challange stradale and the challange car doing some testing :) either come and say hi or let me know your details and i will get some photo's of you and your mates this time!!

i am not the owner nor driver.........only the photographer!!! so please don't ask the driver for a photo as he is no good a poseing :D :D

m