ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum

ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum (https://www.scoobynet.com/)
-   Computer & Technology Related (https://www.scoobynet.com/computer-and-technology-related-34/)
-   -   XBOX LIVE....WHAT DO I NEED? (https://www.scoobynet.com/computer-and-technology-related-34/266117-xbox-live-what-do-i-need.html)

Shaolin 31 October 2003 08:07 AM

Hi,

Can someone tell me exactly what i need so i can play XBOX live? ( and yes i have a bloody xbox before someone says that!!) :D
How much is it?
Just how good is it?
It really sounds very good, playing crimson skies, ghost recon, rainbow six, pgr2 online, dont think i would ever leave the house!!

Cheers.

Shaolin 31 October 2003 09:58 AM

Thanks for the replies :D

Hanslow 31 October 2003 10:01 AM

Easy there fella :D

You need one of these http://www.play.com/play247.asp?page...X&title=113712

Dunno how good it is cos I don't have it on mine.

Hobo_Jojo 31 October 2003 10:07 AM

bit pricey, as u have to pay subscription aswell as ya broadband. and i cant even afford broadband at the minute, if i could i think id just use xbconnect and kick everyones asses on halo

Hanslow 31 October 2003 10:09 AM

You'd kick my ass on Halo cos I've only played it for about 30 mins. Had it about 2 months and just think it's very average :(

Haven't even loaded Splinter Cell or Brute Force in that time either :D

RB5-Black 31 October 2003 11:00 AM

Cost .....

Your BB connection £20-£30 a month + Xbox live starter pack £39.99

this includes a years subscription to the live service so the renewal will be £15-£30 me thinks. The play is good and on the whole lots of peeps are friendly and you'll have a good laugh. The games are a bit lacking at the mo IMHO. MotoGP2 and Gohst Recon are the only good ones but there are a lot in the pipeline for the run into christmas as you mentioned.

PGR2 looks good :cool: and there is a counterstrike conversion soon 05/12/03 :) I just hope it's good :(

so all in all it's good fun if you can stand American's calling you beeach all day long.

Craig

mutant_matt 13 January 2004 12:05 PM

Do you really need the Live Starter Kit? From what I can tell, it's just the headset and some software (which you don't actually need to get connected?)?

I've got PGR2 which comes with a free 2 month Live trial so presumably I don't actually need anything to get connected other than the Xbox, LAN connection, Broadband etc. and to phone them up and give them my Credit Card number?

Obviously, I can't talk to people without the headset. Does the Live starter kit actually include the 1st year subscription or something?

Ta,

Matt :)

DJ Dunk 13 January 2004 12:09 PM

Matt - Yep, you just answered your own question :D Yes it includes 12 months subs . . . and the Britney Spears headset :D

Edit:

Xbox Communicator: this is your headset and microphone device that allows you to communicate with team- mates and opponents while playing games on Xbox Live.

Xbox Live Starter Disc: you will need to run this disc on your Xbox in order to update your Xbox Dashboard for Live features and gameplay.

Xbox Live Subscription Code: this is your passport to 12 months of Xbox Live service. You will enter this code during the Account Setup process. Your subscription starts from the day you setup your account.

Three Live-enabled Demo Games: get into the games. With your Starter Kit you'll receive demo versions of MotoGP, Whacked! and Mech Assault for free.

[Edited by DJ Dunk - 1/13/2004 12:10:52 PM]

mutant_matt 13 January 2004 12:22 PM

So how does the Free 2 month trial with PGR2 work then? I have heard that you need a credit card because they expect you to forget to cancel after 2 months in which case you pay for an annual sub.

If you need the Live setup disc, do you not need one of these for the 2 month trial?

(Need to get on Live by Saturday so need to know what I need before then....)

Ta,

DJ Dunk 13 January 2004 12:25 PM

The Live dashboard update is all included on the PGR2 disc :)

Most Live games have this all included on the game disc (dashupdate.xbe etc)

mutant_matt 13 January 2004 12:29 PM

Right,

So all I really need (and don't really NEED it) is the headset to get going now? I could just buy the headset seperately then or perhaps, one of these Wireless ones?

DJ Dunk 13 January 2004 12:32 PM

Yup. You can get a headset if you really wanted one from Amazon - £16.99 minus £3 for their voucher = £13.99 :)

mutant_matt 13 January 2004 12:34 PM

Thanks, DJD :)

DJ Dunk 13 January 2004 12:39 PM

NP :) In fact, the heatsets are on Amazon for £12 new if you click the new & used bit.

Bravo2zero_sps 13 January 2004 12:44 PM

Do the headsets work with things like xlink etc?

DJ Dunk 13 January 2004 12:54 PM

Yes, if the games supports it then so will XBConnect/X-Link etc :)

Bravo2zero_sps 13 January 2004 12:58 PM

Fantastic :D Off to buy my headset then. Does anyone here use a headset on PGR2 at all? Once I have the headset if others are using it then I will get my 2 free months signed up and have a bit of banter with everyone on Live :D

mutant_matt 13 January 2004 01:34 PM

I will need a headset as I will be playing PGR2 with a group of friends and I'm sure I won't be able to resist some "sledging" ;);):D:D

Geezer 13 January 2004 01:40 PM

Whenever I look at the online games for Xbox (or PS2 for that matter) they always say things like "play againstup to 8 players", well whoopee!:rolleyes: Ok, in a driving game that's ok, but for the shoot em ups, it must be interminably dull! Being a PC boy, it's woeful playing on servers with that few people, do the console games offer something different that makes playing with so few people palatable?

Geezer

P1Fanatic 13 January 2004 04:56 PM

Ok can someone please clarify, Ive bought an Xbox with PGR2 which includes 2 months xbox live. I then plan to buy the Xbox Live Starter kit which has 12 months subscription. However people are telling me at work that on top of that you still have to pay £4.99 per month - is that right?

Simon.

mutant_matt 13 January 2004 07:27 PM

AFAIK, that is absolute rubbish. You get 2 months free with PGR2 and the RRP of £39.99 of the Live Starter Kit includes a year sub.