ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum

ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum (https://www.scoobynet.com/)
-   Non Scooby Related (https://www.scoobynet.com/non-scooby-related-4/)
-   -   Xmas lights - why put them up now ? (https://www.scoobynet.com/non-scooby-related-4/265537-xmas-lights-why-put-them-up-now.html)

GarethE 29 October 2003 04:36 PM

In true Victor Meldrew style - I don't believe it - someone around our way has already put the Christmas lights up in the bay window :eek: ....why? It's not even November yet !

I can understand town lights being put up ready for the switch on , but come on, Xmas lights, in your own home, now...you must be afew baubles short of a decoration

Any other mad xmas decorators about yet ?

Dazza01 29 October 2003 04:56 PM

<Scrooge mode on>

Why put them up at all ? should go up on the 24th down on the 26th

<scrooge mode off>

Dunk 29 October 2003 05:11 PM

They've started putting them up ready for the grand switching on on 1st Dec in my village, when it's finished it looks like Chevy Chase & his 30 cousins have moved in.
One dude last year built a grotto in his garden complete with Santa in an armchair next to a roaring log fire.
God knows what lined up for this year, but you bet I won't be able to get into my drive for parked up spectators.

D

AndiThompson 29 October 2003 05:12 PM

I think ours outside are still up from last year :D

Luke 29 October 2003 05:18 PM

soooooooooooooooooo common.

rogp 29 October 2003 05:23 PM

Glowing Santa and sleigh = Pikie central.

GarethE 29 October 2003 05:24 PM

I can understand it when its done for chaaarrrity, there's a house in Merthyr that raises a fortune for a local charity every year.

The one year they switched the lights on, the Saly Army Band turned up with a choir and got more people there than the switching on of the town lights :D , although having seen Merthyrs lights I can well understand why :D

Mice_Elf 29 October 2003 05:32 PM

Yep, when we went out to get a Chinese meal the other weekend (2 weekends ago I think) we saw a house fully decorated and blinking happily...

Not seen the first Easter Egg yet, but can only be a matter of days..... :rolleyes:

ALi-B 29 October 2003 05:50 PM

I think there should be some law banning shops and businesses etc. From starting all the Crimbo crap until it actually IS christmas! I mean ffs we have'nt got even bonfire night out the way with yet!

It sickens me, 'cos it's all with motive of greed. Which totally contridicts the whole meaning of christmas.

I don't mind individuals who put their decorations early on their Homes etc. But for businesses to do it in the aim of getting people to start the crimbo shop is not right. Shoppping is bad enough without listening to the same rendition of crimbo hits on the PA and fight the millions of sheep who swoop in to the shopping malls in a mad panic.

Bahh Humbug!!!

GarethE 29 October 2003 05:54 PM

Millions of sheep in a shopping mall eh....sounds like my kinda place ;) :D

Luke 29 October 2003 05:54 PM

Are we allowed to celebrate Christmas..?????? Thought It might offend some members of our society...........

Steaming Wizard 29 October 2003 06:02 PM

As a thought, why not make it legislation that shops are only allowed to put up the deccies in the month of December. For those of you with out kids, the build up to x-mas is a nightmare!

One local shop here, has there entire frontage filled normally in October! Getting to be a joke!

signed

disgruntled from Sussex

47 NAT 29 October 2003 06:07 PM

Dunk, without going into detail are you nr the pub that has the hot rod meets?

Theres a place in Bracknell that lights the skies up, it must cost a fortune in electric :eek:

Nath

Dunk 30 October 2003 09:29 AM

47 NAT, don't know about the Hot Rod meets, but I'm in Bradfield, did you bin the mower ?

D

47 NAT 30 October 2003 09:39 AM

Dunk, It got dropped off to a scoobynetter yesterday and hes called me this morning to say it works fine and hes just in the process of painting it up and welding the handle ...fair play to him as i would of tipped it at the weekend.

I was thinking of Aborfield with all the lights, its like driving through a kaelodascope (spelling?) at night times :eek:

Nath

Dunk 30 October 2003 10:09 AM

Have a drive through Southend Bradfield from 1st Dec, it's well worth a look / laugh.

D

Dracoro 30 October 2003 10:12 AM

Happy Easter everyone :D

ianmiller999 30 October 2003 10:28 AM

I don't know what you are moaning about Plymouth put up there christmas lights over a month ago.