ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum

ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum (https://www.scoobynet.com/)
-   ScoobyNet General (https://www.scoobynet.com/scoobynet-general-1/)
-   -   Metallic rustling noise.. is this normal..help (https://www.scoobynet.com/scoobynet-general-1/2652-metallic-rustling-noise-is-this-normal-help.html)

BarryK 20 May 2000 12:06 AM

It's the turbo whistling!

AllanB 20 May 2000 11:11 AM

My new MY00 makes a stange quiet metailic ruslting noise on medium to full throttle. I've can't see anything loose and don't recall the other Impreza I drove making this noise. but maybe just didn't notice this. The Legacy Turbo certainly didn't make this noise.

Is this normal as the local dealer checked it on 1,000 mile service and didn't find anything abnormal

AllanB

AllanB 20 May 2000 03:17 PM

I know what the turbo sounds like and it isn't that. The best way to describe it is it sounds like a dry leaf stukc in an air vent ..sort of rustling.

Hopefully nothing to worry about

AllanB

boomer 20 May 2000 04:49 PM

Allan,

Is the noise dependant on road speed or RPM?

I had a Renault 5 GT Turbo several years ago, and that too made a high-pitched rustly noise at "mumble" mph, and seemed to be air-speed related (wind effect). I spent weeks trying to identify the cause, but with no success.

However, one day the windscreen needed replacing (something to do with a car-park barrier, but i would rather not talk about it!), and the sound went away when the new screen was fitted.

Perhaps there is an "edge" on the windscreen seal (or somewhere else) just catching the wind. My Scooby door mirrors whistle at speed n'all.

mb

RichieC 20 May 2000 07:04 PM

My MY93 WRX does the same noise. I was told it is the boost building. Mine is loads more noticeable now Ive got a downpipe fitted. Im not sure if it is right though, so might get it checked out...sticking wastegate???

Richie

Graham Stocker 20 May 2000 07:19 PM

Mine too !! 95 WRX seems to make the noise at about 70 to 80 mph . I'm sure its a leaf in the passenger vent, sounds like one anyhow!! Graham.

BarryK 20 May 2000 10:04 PM

Erm, that was brevity.

Funnily enough my Sport had that "leaf stuck in a vent noise". The turbo never has. I put it down to a leaf in the vents someplace. Nothing mechanical.

AllanB 21 May 2000 04:08 PM

Noise seems to be dependant on how wide open the throttle is. At 3000 rpm on light throttle the turbo spins up and it picks up fine but noise rustling noise just the normal whistle but at half of full throttle rustling appears. Checked all the vents and they are clear and car has only done 1600 miles so shouldn't be anything falling off yet.

Wouldn't be so anoying if it didn't sound like a leaf in a vent !! At least if other people have it its nothing terminal

AllanB

Greg115 22 May 2000 10:42 PM

I had that noise exactly. Thought it was a leaf myself in the air trunking but turned out to be part of the dash centre console vibrating.

Greg