ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum

ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum (https://www.scoobynet.com/)
-   General Technical (https://www.scoobynet.com/general-technical-10/)
-   -   WRX/STi Spotlight covers (https://www.scoobynet.com/general-technical-10/26364-wrx-sti-spotlight-covers.html)

RichieC 16 December 2000 12:03 AM

On mine its good old silicone sealant!!

Cheap skate you see, didnt get the genuine ones but copies and they cost about £80 incl of painting and stickers.

Karlos 16 December 2000 11:19 AM

Ladies/Gents,

How are these covers secured to the bumper? Is the bumper physically different to that on a UK MY96/97 car? Has anyone managed to fit these to a UK car? If so where can you buy them from?

Just a few questions!!!!

Karlos

AlanG 16 December 2000 11:44 AM

On mine (MY99)it is 2 plastic lugs on the cover which insert at top of bumper. The lower part is held by a screw.

P.S. Foglamps can stay in on UK cars.

Bought mine from Graham Goode

Aero 18 December 2000 12:13 AM

Mine have 3 L-shaped brackets which they are screwed into. (thumb wheel/philips)
Only thing is, they have to come off as they won't go over Cibies. (On their way this week I am told.)

Karlos 18 December 2000 10:54 AM

Er, cries of Yeeha! and cowboy boots spring to mind. Correct me if I'm wrong, but these covers do go over the spotlights don't they? You don't have to remove the spotlights do you?

Karlos

RichieC 18 December 2000 11:38 AM

Dont get your point Karlos, were you trying to imply using silicone is a cowboy method??

Indeed it might be but consider this; wots to stop a nerk with a screwdriver lifting youre covers if youve got them screwed in??

The use of silicone is invisible and makes them a bitch to get out. Yes these can be placed over the fogs but mine arent fitted, I assumed that would have been obvious as Im not likely to take a stanley knife to them when the fog comes down.

Maybe a more suitable idea would be to use the same system as Allan uses but with some sort of a nonstandard head, maybe star key or similar.

Regards

Richie

AlanG 18 December 2000 09:57 PM

If I may be so bold.....

Richie, karlos

When I originally fitted mine to the car, I used thread lock on the retaining screws to stop them loosening off......bad move!
When I went to take them off for reasons I can't remember, they were an absolute b*****d to get off. Took at least 15-20mins per side and at the end of it the brackets inside had twisted like those funny shaped twisted crisp things!! The screw heads were almost obliterated when I had finished.

I didn't bother with threadlock the second time..........

A

ROBERT BARNES 23 December 2000 11:20 AM

Karlos rob here greame goode can order the fitting kit as he did for me about 6 months ago it includes 6x l shaped brackets and screws and also the 6 chrome screws that are visable at the front complete kit with fitting intructions for keeping in fogs or removing them they will fit a standard bumper as mine is a MY97 no problem,they did'nt have them instock but took a couple of weeks to get but worth it as they are original STI parts cost was around the 20 to 25 quid mark i think hope this helps karlos ..Rob

Karlos 23 December 2000 12:30 PM

Ahhhhh,

So you get a fitting kit with the covers? How does this kit fit to the bumper? Does it utilise the existing screw holes for the spotlights?

Karlos

Karlos 02 January 2001 09:35 AM

Thanx m8!

I'll order them the end of this month!

Karlos

teknopete 08 January 2001 11:46 PM

Jus a qwik 1 cause it`s relevent. I know it doesn`t stop the nick 2 order brigade but most bolt on bits on my scoob I replaced the std screws / bolts with torx security screws. It`s stopped the " think I`ll ave that brigade" helpin themselves up2 now http://bbs.scoobynet.co.uk/wink.gif

bigodino2 10 January 2001 09:29 PM

Hi,

I'm looking for the website with the black yet transparent STi covers. I looked at Scoobmania already but can't find it. Help!

Thanks, Peter

JK88 11 January 2001 12:18 PM

The only place in the UK which is doing the STI style transparent fog light cover is UPauto.
Check their web site:

bigodino2 11 January 2001 06:51 PM

Thanks JK88. A friend of mine drives a black one so those black yet transparent covers should be looking great on his car.

Cheers, Peter