ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum

ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum (https://www.scoobynet.com/)
-   General Technical (https://www.scoobynet.com/general-technical-10/)
-   -   Nervous Handling (https://www.scoobynet.com/general-technical-10/26339-nervous-handling.html)

dowser 04 December 2000 12:50 AM

Get the geometry checked - Subaru's are notoriously bad for their 'from factory' settings.

If you've already had Prodrive settings applied, and you're on nearly worn OE tyres, it'll also follow cambers quite badly (my my99 did, anyway!).

Richard

Leighton Buzzard Boy 04 December 2000 09:41 AM

Hi Guy's, wonder if you can help, My MY00 turbo seems to be very skitty in the steering department follwing cambers at a whim and generally diving around, however, on a perfectly flat piece of road, it does go in a straight line, is this a Subaru 'Characteristic'

Leighton Buzzard Boy 04 December 2000 02:17 PM

I've been told that the settings were done in the UK when the scooby arrived, but I'm bot sure I believe 'em, the dealer that is!

JohnS 04 December 2000 04:26 PM

Check tyre pressures carefully first, before you check anything else.

After this, get the geometry checked/adjusted from a reputable garage (most don't have the ability to measure or adjust the camber if required).

Another check is to get another owner to swap cars for a short test drive, and then you can both compare thoughts...

[This message has been edited by JohnS (edited 04 December 2000).]

rik.c 04 December 2000 08:41 PM

LBB maybe its the arm being in a sling thats doing it LOL http://bbs.scoobynet.co.uk/biggrin.gif
Rik.c

albob 04 December 2000 11:19 PM

lbb,
it may be of no help, but mine is just
the same (dutch my00). fine on a good surface, but all over the place on a bad road!!!
i shall be following the advice given above -- thanks.
chrs alan

SteveB 04 December 2000 11:32 PM

Do you have the standard 16" wheels/tyres ?

Mine is a MY97 and upon changing to 17" wheels, I too noticed a lot of tramlining on poor road surfaces until changing to Leda suspension.

Steve.

hutton_d 05 December 2000 12:07 AM

Mine is a little *skittish* as well. BUT it only started when I had two new tyres fitted. geometry is fine etc etc. I have Yokohama A520s and all was fine until I had two new ones on the front. That was when the *skittish* behaviour started.

Before Xmas I will be getting 4 new tyres. S02s or F1s.

Dave

BHORT 05 December 2000 10:59 AM

My MY99 tramlined badly from new on the RE010 tyres bad in the dry even worse in the wet. There was a huge improvement when changing to a different tyre. I wish that I had changed straight away rather than waiting 12 months.

Brendan

Leighton Buzzard Boy 05 December 2000 04:20 PM

Thanks everyone for the reply's, I've got SO2's on at the moment, They come pretty highly recomended, my gut feeling though is it's just sensitive...it's my boss whose complaining most old git..mind you he did buy it for me...got con him into some lights and exhaust mods next!!!!

AndyC 19 December 2000 10:14 PM

Interested to hear about this problem, because my MY00 has just started tramlining particularly badly in the last week or so - it follows cambers in the road and tugs constantly at the wheel. It rather spoiled the combination of deserted B-road and new PIAA spotlights on the way to the pub this evening http://bbs.scoobynet.co.uk/frown.gif

My tyre pressures are OK (33 front, 28 rear, yes?) so I suspect I've just hit a pothole and knocked a wheel out of alignment - does this seem reasonable?

Can someone also please explain to me the difference between the tracking adjustment that the likes of ATS and Kwik Fit seem keen on every time they replace a tyre, and the the full resetting of the geometry (eg. applying Prodrive settings) that dealers charge £90 for? If I've got to have an adjustment made, should I bother having the Prodrive settings done at the same time?

The car is almost a year old and has done 14000 miles on the original tyres, which I estimate are about 2/3 worn. Do I just need new tyres?

Andy.

Paul M 19 December 2000 10:23 PM

It does get tricky at times, on a staright piece of flat tarmac, it runs and brakes in a straight line, but as soon as the surface becomes normal Uk standard it does pull about quite lot....

Dave T-S 20 December 2000 07:59 AM

My MY00 does the same (and so does Carolyn's). I suspect it is the diffs searching around for grip on wet/muddy/uneven roads. It is also worse in the mornings when all the transmission is cold.

Lars 20 December 2000 01:43 PM

Are you running original wheels ?
I have some experince from front wheel drive cars. They often start tramlining, if you change the offset of the wheels.
Higher diameter wheels and 40 45 profile tyres can add same pronblem
This is one reason why Impreza wheels must have 50 or more in offset.

My Impreza MY99 with OZ 17" and 205/45 is OK

Paul M 20 December 2000 10:47 PM

Yep, it's running bog standard 16"s with SO2's.