ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum

ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum (https://www.scoobynet.com/)
-   General Technical (https://www.scoobynet.com/general-technical-10/)
-   -   serious hesitation (https://www.scoobynet.com/general-technical-10/26082-serious-hesitation.html)

simo 01 March 2000 11:12 PM

second time occurance. car has serious hesitation on medium / hard acceleration. last time cured @ 30k service (my99) garage cleaned oil contamination of sensor. 1.5k later it has started again. feels like major turbo lag and started today on way home. after 30 miles getting worse @ like some one has chained the car to a post. any ideas as i am ring garage am tomorrow so it is sorted b4 donnington

simon

Shaun 03 March 2000 02:32 PM

Strong chances of an electrical breakdown.

Try checking:-

Plugs & gaps
HT leads
Coil packs

Is it only happening on load, eg high boost etc?

Shaun.

JohnJ 03 March 2000 07:48 PM

I had the same thing on my MY96 WRX. After a while the car started running badly even under no load. Seems one of the coil packs was breaking down. I got this replaced and the car seems good as new, no hesitations so far

simo 03 March 2000 09:30 PM

went to garage today as they had ordered a replacement boost control valve (their diagnosis) wrong one turned up so they cleaned oil contamination again and are going to get correct unit in. SUK or garage still have no idea why getting contaminated. oil not overfilled. best part of 30k trouble free and then this problem twice in 2k. any ideas?

simon

SteveB 04 March 2000 12:04 PM

Simon,
When they clean the oil contamination, does this solve the problem ?
What air filter are you using ?

Steve.

AllanB 04 March 2000 10:36 PM

I had something similar which lasted a few months. In the end it turned out to be a duff spark plug. No idea why it didn't always do it but it seemed to play up more often on long motorway drives. Loss of power happened at no notice and might stay like that for a couple of days then be fine for weeks.

Since these were changed had no problems.

Allan

scoootie5 06 March 2000 11:16 PM

I have the same problem exactly!!!!!!

Had the problem for about 4 months and nobody seems to know what the problem is...
Even Subaru don't know what it is and it has been to them about 10 times.
I have already had the boost valve replaced (250 quid) and no differnce.
The only thing I have to go by is that my Intercooler was FILLED with oil and the oil level is at half..
The inlet manifold was also gunked up but even though I have cleaned all this out and ALL the pipes this has made difference.
The problem happens when you stick your foot down mostly in 4th or 5th and the boost climbs to 1bar and BANG the revs go to 0 and the boost to 0.5. Subaru think that oil is getting to the boost valve and miss reading overboost which as a safety measure cuts fuel and ignition!!!

If you sort out the problem PLEASE let me know.

Cheers Scott (scoootie5@genie.co.uk)

AndyMc 07 March 2000 12:39 AM

I've had the overboost cut-off problem on my my98 ever since it was new.See

Milky 08 March 2000 11:44 AM

Query ...

Just had my MY96 UK in for a service and the mechanic (good guy), says the car is peaking at 0.8 bar and level at about 0.75.

Is this normal ???

Darren.