ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum

ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum (https://www.scoobynet.com/)
-   ScoobyNet General (https://www.scoobynet.com/scoobynet-general-1/)
-   -   PLEASE READ......................! (https://www.scoobynet.com/scoobynet-general-1/260646-please-read.html)

"MADDOG" 15 October 2003 08:40 PM

Well guys, I have finally come over to the "dark side". Yes, today I have taken delivery of my own "weapon of mass destruction" - a new WRX STi. I would just like to say that I am most impressed with the bulletin board and all of its users. In past experiences with other car clubs (naming no names), the bulletin board has quite often been a place where people just slag each other off and make a nuisance of themselves. Not so Scobbynet - hat's off to all its users. As I am a Scoobie novice I will be asking questions, some of which are so simple to yourselves, but then again we all have to start somewhere. So any help with any queries would be much appreciated. Ps - here is the first one - what does a "knocklink" do? Once you have all picked yourselves up from the floor and wiped the tears of laughter from your eyes your advice would be much appreciated.

regards "MADDOG"

pugoetru 15 October 2003 08:47 PM

you have not been in muppets yet then:D

( R6 CDW ) 15 October 2003 08:58 PM

Basically, its a sensor that bolts to your engine block and via a series of LED's, it will inform you of any pre-detonation (pinking,knocking).
This can wreck your engine over time. It's to do with the octane rating of our fuel, compared to what imports are designed to run on.
So if you got a jap import, then best have one.

Welcome from the darkside, you'll meet plenty other x-darksiders.

cheer
chris

"MADDOG" 15 October 2003 09:02 PM

Cheers Chris :)

Floyd 15 October 2003 09:03 PM

Sensible forum? I think you took a wrong turn somewhere!

Try the SIDC forum if you want sane behaviour.

F

talizman 15 October 2003 09:04 PM

Welcome Mad dog! :D

Although I am not quite a "newbie" (on my 3rd Impreza), I too took delivery today of my new STI 8. :D

Quite a weapon!

Why not post some pics of your new car?

Cheers

Talizman

IN THE STICKS 15 October 2003 09:12 PM

Welcome MADDOG, as you say it's a good site , try a search if you need anything specific as there's tons of stuff on there, Oh and remember to wave to other Scoobies ....all of them !

Dave http://www.stopstart.fsnet.co.uk/smilie/bigwave.gif

pugoetru 15 October 2003 09:32 PM

even justys :D

AK47 16 October 2003 03:27 AM

not having a knocklink will wreck your engine over time? are you sure???

Little Miss WRX 16 October 2003 07:33 AM

Welcome to the madness. :D

( R6 CDW ) 16 October 2003 11:19 AM

Not what i said, the pre-det could wreck the engine. If you read! the statment.

Why bother trying to help!!

[Edited by ( R6 CDW ) - 10/16/2003 11:22:17 AM]

Gary C 16 October 2003 11:37 AM

Maddog

Welcome from the darkside (me too) <ooh, just noticed he said to the darkside, thought mitsi ownership was the darkside :)>

All the talk of knocklinks and AFR's do sometimes make me wish for the bullet proof 4G63, that is until,

1) 4500 miles have gone by
2) I start it and hear the noise (oh the noise :) )

Did anyone go for the ally gearknob, I've got the Momo airleather and that can get cold, bet the full ally one is going to be a pain this winter

[Edited by Gary C - 10/16/2003 11:39:40 AM]

AK47 16 October 2003 11:39 AM

chris, read it in a hurry...soz man ;)

( R6 CDW ) 16 October 2003 11:33 PM

Ok 47

You can still be in my gang.

chris

AK47 17 October 2003 02:42 AM

yay...:D

AndyBrew 17 October 2003 08:45 AM

Welcome to the board MadDog I'm glad you asked that question as I have been wondering for some time :) a couple of months infact I have just nodded in agreement at the various meets LOL!!!

What did you drive before?

"MADDOG" 17 October 2003 09:05 AM

Andy, I knew this question was going to asked sooner or later. It was one of the best modified RS MK 11 in the country, cosworth engine, gartrac shell, AP brakes etc, etc in actual fact it was a certain from scoobyscene that bought my car a few weeks ago.:eek:

Thanks for all your replies

"MADDOG"

EvilKyote 17 October 2003 10:45 AM

Welcome Maddog!

Please observe the house rules - Leave your hat, coat and sanity at the door on the way in!

:D

EK

Dazza's-STi 17 October 2003 11:14 AM

Yes, my knob is freezing!

prodrive, obviously

I useualy get the missuse to warm it for me on colder mornings though!

Derek FKS 85 17 October 2003 11:22 AM

Welcome Mad Dog.

I bet you will be smiling from ear to ear right now!

Derek.

Gary C 17 October 2003 12:40 PM

Dazza and the frozen knob gang :)

We need a plug in knob warmer !

"MADDOG" 17 October 2003 01:59 PM

Nice one guys, here's one more for some of you, are there any meets in the Suffolk area coming up? :D:D:D

regards "MADDOG"