ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum

ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum (https://www.scoobynet.com/)
-   Drivetrain (https://www.scoobynet.com/drivetrain-11/)
-   -   Knackered Turbo at only 35,000miles! (https://www.scoobynet.com/drivetrain-11/260474-knackered-turbo-at-only-35-000miles.html)

Aztec Performance Ltd 15 October 2003 01:35 PM

Was driving on motorway last nite and started experiencing a drop in boost pressure at around 4,000RPM. Then noticed a metallic sound from turbo when idling.

The car is a my UK MY99 with only 35,000miles and is regularly serviced. It has full de-cat, HKS SSQV, and Tek3 map running 17.4psi boost.

Any ideas as to why this happened on such low miles?

Is worth getting my current unit remanufactered or buy a bigger/stronger unit? Current unit i believe is TD04.

All advice and comments appreciated.

scoobyslut 16 October 2003 08:44 AM

Running at the boost value you state, could well of been the cause of the failure. Has any of the impeller vanes entered the inlet manifolds? or worse still, gone any deeper? When the turbo is taken off, suggest you counts the vanes and make sure they are all "accounted for".

Aztec Performance Ltd 16 October 2003 12:54 PM

I have no idea about the vanes etc. The turbo is still on the car and in use. Could this cause damage to anything other than the turbo?

Am looking maybe now for a stronger turbo unit.

scoobyslut 16 October 2003 01:12 PM

"IF" any of the turbo vanes have either broken off or disintegrated, they can be sucked into the engine. They can then cause major damage to the valves, piston heads, cylinder bores.
Sorry, but the longer you run this motor without a full inspection, you are risking a possible engine rebuild if this proves right.

You seriously need to inspect the turbo vanes and see if all intact before having to make the decision to have the engine removed. if you continue to drive this around without checking it out fully, you are taking a risk that may cost you hard in the wallet.

Checking it out now is not much to do, having an engine repair bill this side of Xmas will be a bit sore to sit on I can tell you!
Definately NOT "Asda Price" anywhere.

Aztec Performance Ltd 16 October 2003 01:55 PM

Me thinks I should take it to a garage ASAP following your advice.

Cheers, for advice

dowser 16 October 2003 02:36 PM

Intercooler should catch most big bits - my OE tmic still has half a vf23 blade embedded in it somewhere....

Richard

sg72 16 October 2003 06:30 PM

Bob Tried to send reply to your E-mail

NO joy.

Let you calm down a bit first.

Know how I felt when my engine/ turbo blew.

Steve

Aztec Performance Ltd 16 October 2003 11:27 PM

Steve,

No idea why no joy with email.

My number is 07929 033 185. Txt me your number and I will give you a call.

Regards,

bob

sly fox 16 October 2003 11:34 PM

I have had a similar problem @ 40k miles.

I run @ 18psi and @ croft earlier this year the boost kept dropping off and i had a rattling noise like u have. I discovered that the waste gate mechanism inside the turbo had failed and the rattling noise was due to the flap on the exhaust intake working loose. This was more expensive to repair than replace, so i bought a second hand turbo off midland impreza. Fixed the problem and the turbo has been perfect since.

sly

Aztec Performance Ltd 16 October 2003 11:53 PM

Sly,

which turbo did u replace it with and how much was it?

sly fox 17 October 2003 08:19 PM

i replaced mine with another td04, cost about £170 + vat from midland impreza, came with all the pipes and the actuator (a bargin i thought)

sly

LittleDarren 17 October 2003 08:54 PM

I've just replaced the TD04L on my RB5 in error and as such have a second hand and 'perfect' grrrr turbo sat doing nothing, has done 63k miles, It's only gonna gather dust so up for grabs cheap if you need it at all.

LD

[Edited by LittleDarren - 10/17/2003 8:54:31 PM]

Aztec Performance Ltd 18 October 2003 11:39 AM

Darren,

Just secured a purchase of a VF34...Doh!

LittleDarren 18 October 2003 02:51 PM

Not to worry :) I'll keep it in stock! Ya never know do ya ;o)

[Edited by LittleDarren - 10/18/2003 2:52:00 PM]

Aztec Performance Ltd 19 October 2003 12:55 AM

Darren,

How much you after for your TD04?

bob

LittleDarren 19 October 2003 08:20 AM

Have emailed you Bob.