ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum

ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum (https://www.scoobynet.com/)
-   General Technical (https://www.scoobynet.com/general-technical-10/)
-   -   Should I have removed my Heat Sheild? (https://www.scoobynet.com/general-technical-10/25899-should-i-have-removed-my-heat-sheild.html)

Stuart Malt 06 May 1999 02:26 PM

I have been suffering from a rattling heat sheild, and recently my dealer removed it claiming that it would do no harm. The rattling has certainly dissapeared, but am I running the risk of dammaging the car (1994 UK model) by not having the heat sheild?

MarkF 06 May 1999 03:25 PM

Stuart
I removed the heatshield from the front of MY93 WRX shortly after getting it because it rattled and have had no problems during the last 10,000kms. If it is from the underside of the exhaust it may aid cooling if removed anyway.

Pete Croney 10 May 1999 10:24 AM

The heat shield is there to stop you setting fire to long grass, should you park in a field type car park.

marcusfielding 20 July 1999 09:03 AM

OK - I'm just about to make the decision whether or not to remove the heat shield as it is causing loud rattles at different revs (depending on gear, heat etc) due to resonance - IT IS VERY VERY LOUD.

The car is an immaculate 22k miles WRX '95 wagon and has been looked at before with this problem at a garage with very experienced mechanics - however my dilema...

?..is removing the heatshield only going to create a danger in setting grass alight (with the obvious heat) or is there something more sinister lurking around the corner after I've driven the car hard...?

I'm taking the car to the docters :-0 for surgery this Friday - any advice appreciated !

marcusfielding 20 July 1999 09:04 AM

OK - I'm just about to make the decision whether or not to remove the heat shield as it is causing loud rattles at different revs (depending on gear, heat etc) due to resonance - IT IS VERY VERY LOUD.

The car is an immaculate 22k miles WRX '95 wagon and has been looked at before with this problem at a garage with very experienced mechanics - however my dilema...

?..is removing the heatshield only going to create a danger in setting grass alight (with the obvious heat) or is there something more sinister lurking around the corner after I've driven the car hard...?

I'm taking the car to the docters :-0 for surgery this Friday - any advice appreciated !

Mark B 20 July 1999 09:55 PM

where exactly is the heat shield.

Is it the housing that goes over the turbo and up to the bonnet scoop?

DAVID POWER 20 July 1999 10:16 PM

We recently had a very peculiar problem. Inside the heatshield of the exhaust pipe from the manifolding up to the turbo is a flexible joint, this had broken up and was causing a noise and exhaust blow.(and a few other problems)

If the heat shield is rattling there is a reason. The reason might be just broken securing bolts but do not just remove. Investigate