ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum

ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum (https://www.scoobynet.com/)
-   Computer & Technology Related (https://www.scoobynet.com/computer-and-technology-related-34/)
-   -   Anyone use FWBuilder and Linux for their firewall? (https://www.scoobynet.com/computer-and-technology-related-34/258502-anyone-use-fwbuilder-and-linux-for-their-firewall.html)

Bravo2zero_sps 09 October 2003 06:29 PM

Have a copy of SuSe and also Knoppix versions of Linux. Thinking about trying out FWBuilder and wondered how complicated it was for a total Linux novice with no command line knowledge whatso ever!

chiark 09 October 2003 09:40 PM

Just download ipcop. It's based on the 2.4 kernel and works without all that piddling around :D

Bravo2zero_sps 10 October 2003 12:17 AM

LOL i'm running ipcop! How did you do the rule for ICMP on it though, through command line or where in the GUI?

Wanted to look at other options as well as ipcop and also avoid running fw1 on a dog of a box that is only good for linux!

Gedi 10 October 2003 08:17 AM

FWbuilder is absolutly brilliant!!!!

Linux Journal did a 2 part paper on this a few months ago and they rated it so highly I was expecting the pages to be stuck together.

I configure my IPTables by hand, but I did try FWBuilder once to see what script it spat out.

The result was brilliant. I was very impressed and I even tweaked my own script to incorporate a few ideas from that.

If you want I can scan in the full writeup from Linux Journal (yes I am sad and do keep all my old copies). It will be Monday now, as I don't have a scanner at home.

Verdict : A1

chiark 10 October 2003 08:30 AM

You need to edit IPTables manually, which is a bit of a sod...

Add the following to drop all icmp
/sbin/iptables -A CUSTOMINPUT -i <<RED DEVICE HERE>> -p icmp -j DROP

To drop pings, just add
/sbin/iptables -A CUSTOMINPUT -i <device> -p icmp --icmp-type 8 -j DROP

I think rc.firewall is the right place for these, or rc.local. Just remember to either reboot or source the script.

Bravo2zero_sps 10 October 2003 12:54 PM

Cheers guys.

Nick thats the whole reason I am giving up on ipcop cos its command line editing, I like it all to be gui based point and click :D

FWBuilder is gui based from I have seen although the setup might involve command line.

Gedi is that correct or is it easy enough for someone who knows nothing about command line to install and setup?

Gedi 10 October 2003 01:12 PM

Its pretty simple to install. Basic ./configure, make, make install is all (if I remember correctly)

You will need a pretty good knowledge base of network protocols and network operations as there are a lot of buttons to click on :)

Oh, just a guess but you may need GTK installed for the GUI (again, can't remember exactly)

chiark 10 October 2003 01:44 PM

Good luck mate - I wonder if the ipcop devel team would be interested in a better point'n'click gui?

Gedi 10 October 2003 02:13 PM

Am I right in thinking IPCop uses an html style gui?

Bravo2zero_sps 10 October 2003 05:03 PM

Yes Gedi it does but its not very good as a rule base editor and I want a proper rule base page.

Just looking at FW1 NG3 and :eek: its totally different to 4.1 :( Bit over the top for home maybe!

tuffer 12 October 2003 09:02 PM

Have you tried Smoothwall? It is the original that IPCop project forked from. The latest version is pretty good, I have had one running on a client site for the last 2 years and it has only been rebooted a couple of times when I have applied patches.

Bravo2zero_sps 13 October 2003 06:54 AM

Tuffer no I haven't, is it all gui based or does it need to be administered through command line?