ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum

ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum (https://www.scoobynet.com/)
-   Computer & Technology Related (https://www.scoobynet.com/computer-and-technology-related-34/)
-   -   Uploading Frontpage website to the WWW??? (https://www.scoobynet.com/computer-and-technology-related-34/258369-uploading-frontpage-website-to-the-www.html)

Boro 09 October 2003 12:49 PM

For the moment ive used Frontpage (cos it was quick and easy).

Anyway, the site is made and i have the registered domain and hosting.

Ive been struggling to upload it because ive had to enable Frontpage extensions (well at least i think i had to). Apparantly i cant use normal FTP because of this???

So, how do i upload a Frontpage wesbite to my domain?

JockyTT 09 October 2003 12:56 PM

Frontpage has its own publish to web functionality I believe which works, assuming your host supports the FP extensions you are using...

rik1471 09 October 2003 12:57 PM

File >> Publish Web, type in http://www.yourdomain.com

zhastaph 09 October 2003 01:00 PM

Just FTP it Boro.

In explorer type ftp://www.mydomain.com You can then copy and paste just like any other file system, just copy the entire contents of the site there.

Frontpage extensions need to be installed at the web server side, for this it would need to be a Microsoft based server, not too many of these about out there I'm afraid

Boro 09 October 2003 01:16 PM

Ive enabled Frontpage extensions with my host so hopefully it will be ok.

When i click File>>Publish Web, what do i put in the first box that appears? Its seems to want to know where i want to copy the files to, ie somewhere on my hard drive and prefixed my web folder with c:/copy_of_

Boro 09 October 2003 02:28 PM

bttt

zhastaph 09 October 2003 02:31 PM

Sorry, I don't like to 'hark' on, but seeing as you bttt'd you is obviously still stuck.

Have you tried wot I saided with ftp://... It really really is the easiest way of doing it, IE suports this nativly and it means you can treat your website just like a HDD.

NB In XP there is a setting in "Internet Options", Enable folder view that will need to be turned on, and there is another, Passive FTP or something like that that I think also makes a difference.

Our website allegedly has "Frontpage Extensions" but I've never bin able to get frontpage to post to it :(

Boro 09 October 2003 02:42 PM

Thanks for that ;) I'll try it.

Any other views/suggestions?

Cheers

Paul aka Boro

IanW 09 October 2003 02:54 PM

If you have the FP Extensions enabled you wont be able to uplaod via FTP.

Boro 09 October 2003 02:57 PM

Hey Ian, im gettin there LOL!

I didnt think i could :confused:

I need help on using the Frontpage publish webpage thingy.

Are you on MSN?

IanW 09 October 2003 03:04 PM

Not on MSN at the moment, just about to go nito the office.

I'll be back on MSN later tonight.

Boro 09 October 2003 03:15 PM

OK Ian, might pick your brains later in that case ;)

Anyone else know how to publish via Frontpage?

IanW 10 October 2003 12:16 AM

Paul,

see the link below:-

Link

Ian

Boro 10 October 2003 11:01 AM

Thanks for that Ian :D

So, am i right in thinking that i DO NOT need Frontpage extensions enabled if im using CUTE FTP to upload?

I thought that Frontpage extensions needed to be enabled for websites created using Frontpage :confused:

Am i totally wrong as it now seems????

zhastaph 10 October 2003 12:12 PM

Only if your using components that use Frontpage extensions,like the built in hit counter etc. Personally I keet clear of them 'cos the website tends to be more portable and run on all webservers then

what would scooby do 10 October 2003 03:37 PM

err.. it may not be uploading as frontpage uses active ftp to transfer and the vast majority of hosting companies only allow passive ftp now due to security problems.

just a thought

Boro 10 October 2003 10:07 PM

Cheers for all your help guys, i disenabled Frontpage extensions in the end and used Terrapin FTP to upload. For some reason CUTE FTP wouldnt connect :confused: