ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum

ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum (https://www.scoobynet.com/)
-   General Technical (https://www.scoobynet.com/general-technical-10/)
-   -   Engine Management Warning Light - HELP !!!! (https://www.scoobynet.com/general-technical-10/25831-engine-management-warning-light-help.html)

iain_lyle 27 November 1998 09:02 AM

I am having difficulties with my 1993 WRX with the "Check Engine" light appearing on the display and invoking a rev-limiter at 4,700rpm. I have been told that the method of working out the problem behind the warning is to bridge the circuit at which time the light will flash a certain number of times indicating the precise problem.
Can anyone help me with what the series of flashes mean ????? PLEASE .......

SPEEDRAT 01 December 1998 04:31 AM

I have the same problem as u. The check light will tell you what sensors are wrong. If there a possibility you going to a Subaru service center? If not get A subaru manual for yr engine. If you are luck there is 2 wires above the clutch. The wires have male and female connectors. Connect these two wires and the check engine light will blick. Before doing this, disconnect the battery terminals for 20 minutes. After that reconnect and start the engine for a few seconds. Switch off the engine and connect the two male and female wires. The check engine will blick. If the engine light blicks once and does not have blinks in continuos mode the sensors are ok. However, if there are blinks more than once in continuos times count the continous blinks . then look up the manual and see which sensors are at fault. I hope this eg will help u.

The engine light blicks once and then blicks faster than before. Count the number of the fast blinks. eg the light blinks 1 time and then blinks 4 times as fast. this means dianostic no 14 has a problem. a s ubaru manual book will tell you what sensor is wrong . After the 4 blinks it will blink 2 times at the same rate. if after 2 times it blinks fast continously count how many times. if it is 4 times means sensor dianostic 24 is at fault. this will go on until all the sensors are accounted for. It will repeat itself fr the begining.
Good luck with u as I still have the check light out and I can't get a sti version 3 manual yet. I hope you can get the manual or similar engine specification and email me back at speedrat@hotmail.com as I can also use some info from the book.
good luck. After the checking pls don't forget to disconnect the two wires. I am having exactly the same problem as u. I hope if u find out the answer to this probelm email me and tell me the answer. See what faulty sensors came out. Look into your injectors, compression and computer box.

get back to me a.s.ap. once you have an answer to our problem.

SPEEDRAT 02 December 1998 02:19 AM

Another possibility is the throttle body sensor may not be correctly positioned or tuned. I am looking into the computer box now as there is less supply of fuel to the engine at certain rpm and lost of power too. Di u have a short circuit recently?

ids 18 June 1999 08:27 PM

Fellas

Did you find out what it means. I picked up my 1996 WRX today and it is doing it !

HELP !

R19KET 18 June 1999 11:50 PM

Does it cut the revs earlier than 4.5k > 5k rpm if you try to accelerate harder ?Is it allowing you to get any boost,or cutting the revs as boost builds up ?.

The two main reasons for warning light seem to be either the air flow meter,or solenoid
(amal valve).Check the connectors on both,just incase.

My monies on the airflow meter !!! £1.

Depending on where you live PE have the diagnostic computer.

Mark.

[This message has been edited by R19KET (edited 18-06-99).]

rickyt 19 June 1999 12:26 PM

Mark,

Do PE have a Select Monitor for the WRX and STi, or is some other diagnostic computer that you mean?

Ricky T

Mike Tuckwood 19 June 1999 12:51 PM

Rickyt.

It's the Pukka, genuine thing, (and they know how to use it.

Mike.

R19KET 19 June 1999 12:54 PM

Not certain what it's called,it's hand held,plugs into diagnostic socket under dash.
Gives 'live' readouts while the car is running,and also historic problems !!!!

You could see the info changing,fueling,
voltages of the different sensors etc' etc'.

Speak to David at PE.

Mark.