ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum

ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum (https://www.scoobynet.com/)
-   Computer & Technology Related (https://www.scoobynet.com/computer-and-technology-related-34/)
-   -   Network Nightmare (https://www.scoobynet.com/computer-and-technology-related-34/258092-network-nightmare.html)

Scooby Dooby Blue 08 October 2003 05:10 PM

All i want to do is share files between 2 PCs and maybe share the internet connection.
I've got network cards in both machines, linked by a 5 port ethernet switch.

I've gone through the Network wizard on both machines (both running XP).
The IPs are set to 192.168.1.x and 192.168.1.y with ubnet masks of 255.255.255.0
Both machines are on the same named workgroup.

Machine 1 (with the modem) can ping machine 2 and vice versa

When i try to view machines on the workgroup on machine 1, i'm told the network is not reachable or i might not have permissions to view.
Machine 2 can see machine 1 navigating through 'entire network' but when i try to access machine 1, again, i'm told i don't have permissions etc.

I have set the c:\ drives on both machines as shared but can't seem to get that far.

Any help/suggestions appreciated boys :)

Paul

Bravo2zero_sps 08 October 2003 05:30 PM

Have you got the xp firewall switched on? If so switch it off and use a proper firewall! Have you set the gateway on all machines as the ip address of the pc with the physical internet connection? Recheck your sharing settings and maybe also try running through the setup a home network wizard from the network control panel.

Thats just for starters but dont have an xp box in front of me right now so cant check a few other things and cant remember off the top of my head :rolleyes:

Scooby Dooby Blue 08 October 2003 05:34 PM

Will try disabling the firewall, never thought of that.
Machine 1's IP is set as the gateway, yes.

Cheers.

Scooby Dooby Blue 08 October 2003 06:07 PM

Nope, still not working :(

The message i get when trying to get into Machine 1 from Machine 2 is:

"\\Machine 1 is not accessible. You might not have permission to use this network resource. Contact the administrator of this server to find out if you have access permission.
The network path was not found."

I'm open to more advice chaps.

Hanslow 08 October 2003 06:17 PM

Have you got file and printer sharing enabled on the protocol?

Bravo2zero_sps 08 October 2003 06:17 PM

OK well its supposed to prompt you with a username and password login to access the drive. Are you logged onto both machines with admin rights? Have the shared permissions been fully set as from what I can remember there are a few tick boxes on the share tab?

You shouldnt have to do this but might be worth a try and put each others machine user account in the users and groups of each machine.

Scooby Dooby Blue 08 October 2003 06:28 PM

Yes, file and printer sharing is enabled.

{quote]You shouldnt have to do this but might be worth a try and put each others machine user account in the users and groups of each machine.[/quote]

You've lost me there B2Z :eek:

Bravo2zero_sps 08 October 2003 06:47 PM

In users and groups put in the useraccount u use on the other machine into the administrators group and vice versa. This way when you try and access machine a from machine b it will be able to authenticate the account u are using as its already held on machine a.

Will be able to look at this better when I get home :D

Bravo2zero_sps 09 October 2003 11:31 AM

So did you get it working in the end?

Scooby Dooby Blue 09 October 2003 11:38 AM

Nope

I got so p1ssed off last night, i just ordered another Pioneer 106 to allow the transfer of large files between the PCs:rolleyes:

Paul

Gedi 09 October 2003 11:46 AM

Are you transfering over netbios or tcp/ip?

Scooby Dooby Blue 09 October 2003 12:00 PM

tcp/ip

Bravo2zero_sps 09 October 2003 12:30 PM

Have you got netbios enabled?

Scooby Dooby Blue 09 October 2003 12:53 PM

NetBIOS is set to default:

'Use NetBIOS setting from the DHCP server. If static IP address is used or the DHCP server does not provide NetBIOS setting, enable NetBIOS over TCP/IP'

Should I disable NetBIOS?

Paul

Bravo2zero_sps 09 October 2003 01:30 PM

No I always have it enabled and always to connect to machines by machine name and not ip address ad works well for me.

philjohno 09 October 2003 11:06 PM

what operating system are you using, if it's xp run the 'setup home or small office network' option on each pc, this will set all the correct parameters for you, make sure you have shares setup or you may need to have the same user names and password for both pc's.

Scooby Dooby Blue 09 October 2003 11:27 PM

Done all that m8

It's probably something blatantly obvious i've overlooked.
I'll get a mate (fresh pair of eyes) to come and take a look next week

Paul

zhastaph 09 October 2003 11:53 PM

Don't know if any of this will help, but ...

Have you tried accessing them via IP Address?
eg. Start | Run | \\192.168.1.1

Under the advanced tab of TCP/IP setting do you have WINS setup, if so remove them

Make sure you DO NOT have TCP/IP filtering setup

I know you said you'd removed the built in XP firewall, but other firewalling software will also stop remote disk access, make sure you stop ALL firewall software running, it's also worth stopping any anti-virus software as that may also have simple firewalling built in.

Ummm, running out of suggestions here ...

A third machine, there is nothing worse than 2 computers that will not communicate, which one is the problem? A third machine connected up would tell you which is at fault, Win98 would be fantastic as this doesn't contain many of the oddities that XP/2000 do when it comes to networking.

Have you tried uninstalling all the components and putting them back? This will often yield results.

Are you trying to use a USB net card at all, I've now tried 4 of these, 2 wired and 2 wireless and never got them to work succesfully and stably, they all seemed to appear to work, but once you started copying stuff accross they just seem to give a 'sigh' and die on you :rolleyes:

Hope some of this helps

Scooby Dooby Blue 10 October 2003 12:14 AM

Right !!! Now we're getting somewhere!

Machine 1 can now run\\192.168.1.y and get into Machine 2's files
Unfortunately, Machine 2 cannot reciprocate.

I can still copy&paste files from machine 1 into machine 2 though and this was the main reason for wiring them up.

Cheers zha :D

Scooby Dooby Blue 11 October 2003 12:56 AM

All sorted now chaps:)
Configured Norton to allow machine 2's IP addy and that was it!:rolleyes:

Thanks for the pointer zha :D

Paul