ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum

ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum (https://www.scoobynet.com/)
-   ScoobyNet General (https://www.scoobynet.com/scoobynet-general-1/)
-   -   Just fitted STI 5 IC... (https://www.scoobynet.com/scoobynet-general-1/257104-just-fitted-sti-5-ic.html)

Hol 10 May 2003 07:53 PM

"The dump valve is fitted straight onto the IC, the person who i bought it off had the IC modded to fit the DV this way..."

Are you sure its a special as all STI5/6 intercoolers have a bolt on Dumpvalve.

I only ask I am trying to fit a WRX01 intercooler to an STI4. The WRX alos has a bolt on dumpvalve, but it fouls the manifold. Iam therefore getting that part cut-off.

[Edited by Hol - 10/5/2003 7:56:31 PM]

Delboy2 10 June 2003 08:36 PM

I fitted a version 5/6 TMIC from a MY99/MY00 on MY96 and the difference was definitely noticeable :D
http://www.fotango.com/p/eba00347408f00000008.jpg
I am planning on selling mine though in the near future as I am gonna go the FMIC route with the quest of more power ;)

[Edited by Delboy2 - 10/6/2003 8:37:28 PM]

Greeno 05 October 2003 02:52 PM

Just thought i would share my happyness with everyone,

I've just fitted an STI 5/6 Intercooler to my93 WRX, what a diffrence, it seems to be more 'violent' when the turbo kicks in and the sound has changed, it's alot more roary if you like...

Defo a good mod if anyone is thinking of doing it...

Cheers,

G.

BAH 05 October 2003 03:19 PM

how does it fit?

What have you done with the dumpvalve..?

Greeno 05 October 2003 05:15 PM

It's tight but it fits with a bit of giggery pokery mate,

The dump valve is fitted straight onto the IC, the person who i bought it off had the IC modded to fit the DV this way...

If your thining about it BAH go for it, it's worth it, be prepared though as it's a pain to get in as i said...

G.

BAH 05 October 2003 05:19 PM

Any pics...?

greasemonkey 05 October 2003 05:30 PM

Are you monitoring knock and AFR Greeno? Improving the breathing in this way can have pretty drastic effects - as you've noticed. Much better to know you're safe than let ignorance cause any trouble! :D

jonny gav 05 October 2003 06:34 PM

well done greeno, this was one of my first mods :)

i was told it wouldn't fit by all of scoobynet as no one had done it before!

i found the boost came in alot earlier too, a worth while mod in my opinion ;)

Greeno 05 October 2003 07:22 PM

I'm not monitoring Knock etc no, it's on my list of things to buy next month though...:)

I'll try and get some pics up tommorow..

Cheers,

G.

Greeno 05 October 2003 08:08 PM

Not sure mate, i thought it had been modded in some way, but maybe it's just a normal STI 5 IC..

G.

alcazar 05 October 2003 08:11 PM

Mine had a remote d/v, ie: not bolted direct to the i/c.
I fitted an STi5 i/c with an adaptor I bought from Hayward and Scott, in order to use the remote d/v, and NOT to foul the manifold.

Contact Ian at Hayward and Scott
Dead easy, all of 10 minutes to fit.:):
Alcazar

BTW: agree that it breathes better, and I have an opinion on that from someone I'd trust too.

Hol 05 October 2003 08:27 PM

Unfortunatly It fouls even befor eyou fit a dump valve. the WRX02 intercooler is that much bigger. in the dump valve department.

alcazar 06 October 2003 09:55 AM

Sorry, Hol, my response wasn't to you: I don't know owt about WRX intercoolers:D:

What I was on abt was the STi5 one, that can be fitted to cars with remote d/v's, using the Hayward and Scott adaptor.
Alcazar

NotoriousREV 06 October 2003 10:09 AM

What sort of money do STi 5 IC's go for these days?

Greeno 06 October 2003 11:16 AM

I paid £250 for mine from a guy off here, had all the brackets etc to fit it all sorted though...

G.

johnfelstead 06 October 2003 08:19 PM

the STi5 intercooler has the dump valve mounted on it as standard. Earlier IC's used a remote dump valve.

exesspeed 08 October 2003 03:13 AM

excellent, i fitted one to my STI-1 couldnt believe the diff, your bang on, totally worth it, 100%

exesspeed 08 October 2003 03:17 AM

P.S ive got another P-1 Moded TMIC coming next week, all moded, inc Y section, moded, all new alloy brackets to fit to the early impreza, mounts alloy side tanks all polished, no its not mine, i get them moded and polished, can send pics of the tmic and mods if any one interested, please rep by e.mail as i dont tick notification by e.mail thanks mark

Mark A 08 October 2003 10:02 AM

I'm in the process of fitting WRX 02 intercooler to 94 WRX, I've had to "trim the bulkhead spot welding and adjust the top engine mount and MIG weld it. Ideally you still need to shorten the throttle body or the IC outlet body. The Y piece pipes are WRX 02 Samaco hoses with an alloy inset. The supporting IC brakets are "fabicated" from the orginal old and the WRX 02 brackets. The dump valve has been relocated by using a kit from GG racing.
I'm also doing other mods while the IC off and its easy to remove the inlet manifold.

Mark A

Jay m A 08 October 2003 10:41 AM

I've also fitted a MY99 IC to a MY95 WRX.

I bought the IC already modified from the FS section in this BBS.

Basically what was changed was the IC DV outlet is blanked off, and the IC outlet to throttle body shortened.

Then you use the STI alloy Y piece and mate this to a trimmed Samco turbo outlet hose set for the pre96, hence keeping the original DV position. I did this since I wanted to keep it recirc and all other pipework std. Then you have to make a few extensions to the mounting brackets.
You also have to trim the IC to throttle body hose.

Its a tight fit but its worth it :)

Hol 08 October 2003 08:41 PM

MarkA.

I would be interested to see your conversion when it is complete, see as we are neighbours - Almost :)

I am fitting the later WRX to my STI98, but I cannot move it any near the bulkhead unless I remove my Strutbrace. I have only just got a spare set of My98 IC brackets to cut and shut, so I should be on the fitting stage soon.

vulnax999 08 October 2003 10:32 PM

How do these fit with strut braces that go between IC and bulkhead ?

exesspeed 09 October 2003 04:03 AM

ive a my94 wrx-sti-1 no mods to the bulk head, STI-5 AND 6 - AND P-1 TMIC ARE ALL THE SAME SIZE IVE HAD THEM ALL, THATS WHY I HAVE THE INTERCOOLER MODED SO YOU DONT HAVE TO ALTER THE CAR, ONCE YOUVE A MODED TMIC, TAKES ABOUT AN HOUR AND ITS SORTED, LOOKS COOL ASP, WITH POLISHED SIDE TANKS,

exesspeed 09 October 2003 04:09 AM

I WILL POST ALL THE PICS NEXT WEEK AS I SHOULD HAVE ANOTHER ONE BACK MODED INC BRACKETS, SO I CAN SHOW YOU THE INTERCOOLER OF THE CAR, THEN I CAN SHOW YOY A PIC OF THE ONE I HAVE FITTED TO MINE, OK

barge 09 October 2003 07:52 AM

sounds interesting

can you mail me direct pics & costings please

thanks

Jay m A 09 October 2003 07:57 AM

I had to lose the strutbrace on mine.

borich 09 October 2003 08:52 AM

thinking of putting a sti5/6 ic onto my 93 wrx and by the sounds of what you have done it seems worth while mod!

Borich

P130J 09 October 2003 09:54 AM

Worth noting that the MY99/00 UK turbo intercooler is a slightly different unit to the Jap Sti 5/6 one. The black one in the photograph on the previous page (Delboy?) is a standard UK one. The STi/P1 ones are slightly bigger and are silver.

:)

exesspeed 09 October 2003 11:47 PM

will mail any one whos lookin at this mod, just waitin for the other intercooler to come back no probs at all, please e.mail me at aopf74@dsl.pipex.com ok lads