ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum

ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum (https://www.scoobynet.com/)
-   General Technical (https://www.scoobynet.com/general-technical-10/)
-   -   Quickshift & Scoobysport Exhaust (https://www.scoobynet.com/general-technical-10/25522-quickshift-and-scoobysport-exhaust.html)

Aaron Payne 31 March 1999 01:18 PM

I am currently awaiting my 99 Impreza, due to be delivered in April. I am planning on having a Prodrive QuickShift Fitted and taking it to Scoobysport for a back box change.

I guess what I am asking is what experience you have of these extras and are they "value for money"

Robbie 31 March 1999 01:25 PM

Scoobysport back box is definitely value for money and well worth getting. The quick shift has - from what I have heard - a bit of a question mark over its need in the 99MY. It would be worth taking a 99MY out with and without the quickshift fitted to see what if any difference there is. As I drive an STi V I can't give you advice from personal experience on the quickshift - but I can on the exhuast - get one now!

Dennis 31 March 1999 02:30 PM

Hi Aaron,

before I crashed it, I drove a MY98 without Quickshift. I once drove a MY98 with QS and this was quite a difference.
My new MY99 got the GS build in after I drove it for a few weeks with the standaard shifting-stuff. Now I finally got the QS and I'm not totally convinced by the added value of it to MY99.....

Besides: I wonder how somebody can pick the wrong gear with the QS (like a SIDC-member once addressed) because the QS isn't changing the spaces between gears (I mean required movement of the lever) that much after all.

Den=

chrisiden 31 March 1999 02:45 PM

Scooby sport back box is very good. High quality construction and fitted the car perfectly. Be warned that it is fairly loud, but in a very deep burbly note :-)

Also make sure you get a performance air filter (RamAir or K&N £40approx) in order to really benefit from the free flow performance exhaust.

I drove my MY98 for about a week with the Scooby Sport back box and the standard air filter, and I think there was an actual reduction in torque at low revs (Probably to do with lack of back pressure)

Regarding the quickshift. I had this fitted to my MY98 from new. It gives the car a very sporty feel and definatly improves the fun of driving. Although I understand that for the 99 model the standard gear change has been improved.

[This message has been edited by chrisiden (edited 31-03-99).]

MarkL 31 March 1999 04:38 PM

Some people have mentioned possible adverse effects of fitting the Scoobysport exhaust without also changing the air filter. What effect does changing to a Ramair, K&N or Pipercross filter have with the standard exhaust?

Ian Cook 31 March 1999 05:23 PM

Changing the ramair only will make a small difference, allowing the intake side of the engine to breath easier, but without allowing the exhaust side to breath the difference will not be so noticable. Really you need both to see any real difference in the car.

elonce 31 March 1999 05:56 PM

I have a MY97 with the QS fitted. Before I bought the car I tried one with QS and one without, and decided that the difference in feel was worth the extra money and adds to the scooby experience. I've never regretted the decision.

Robbie 31 March 1999 06:06 PM

yes I see your point elonce but as you say it is on a MY97 - and we are talking a MY99 which is generally accepted to have a much improved gearchange - thus negating in quite a few peoples mind the need for a QS. When i had an order down for a MY99 I wanted the QS and was advised by my dealer at the time it really wasn't worth the outlay.