ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum

ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum (https://www.scoobynet.com/)
-   Computer & Technology Related (https://www.scoobynet.com/computer-and-technology-related-34/)
-   -   Need to run an exe from a virtual IIS directory...how!! (https://www.scoobynet.com/computer-and-technology-related-34/254236-need-to-run-an-exe-from-a-virtual-iis-directory-how.html)

mega_stream 25 September 2003 03:16 PM

Setup a virtual directory in IIS, can access all files in the folder no probs, cant run or save as an exe file though.

I've set IIS permissions within the V/D to run scripts and executables but no good.

Anyone got any idea?

Thanks

John

Alec 25 September 2003 04:56 PM

Are you trying to run the exe on the server?

Cheers

Alec

[Edited by Alec - 9/25/2003 4:57:08 PM]

mega_stream 26 September 2003 08:29 AM

Hi

No, its the Sophos remote update .exe file, I've published the virtual directory that the files are in, I need to be able to be able to run the .exe on a remote machine (or right click save as) so the .exe can be run.

I've tried zipping the entire folder to a self extracting file, but as it's an exe I still can't do anything with it! :rolleyes:

mannyo 26 September 2003 08:53 AM

I think you need to use IISADMIN to set the permissions on the virtual folder to allow execute permissions.

Alec 26 September 2003 08:59 AM

mega_stream,
If you wnat to be able to run (or save) the file on the client machine you need make the "Execute Permissions" in virtual directory properties to either "Scripts only" or "None". This will allow you to save on the client machine.

Cheers

Alec

mega_stream 26 September 2003 10:35 AM

Hi

Already set those parameters as mentioned in my 1st post...

:(

Frigging computers, I hate em sometimes [img]images/smilies/mad.gif[/img]

ozzy 26 September 2003 11:34 AM

What version of IIS & OS are you running?

SCOSaltire 26 September 2003 11:57 AM

u have set the Permissions differently to what he suggested...
If u set the permissions to execute exes... then when u go to the exe in the browser, u will not be able to download it - it will execute on the server.

Setting the permissions to 'none' will allow u to 'Save or Open' the exe.

Cheers
Phil

[Edited by SCOSaltire - 9/26/2003 11:58:13 AM]

mega_stream 26 September 2003 02:46 PM

It's running W2K Advanced Server.

I've checked the following on the V/D settings
Script Access
Read
Write
Dir Browsing

Setting Execute Permissions to none gives a page can't be displayed error with the following note

Technical Information (for support personnel)

Background:
You have attempted to execute a CGI, ISAPI, or other executable program from a directory that does not allow programs to be executed.

judgejules 26 September 2003 03:10 PM

Microsoft Article on the matter.

If this doesnt work then I suggest deleting the virtual directory and starting again.

If all this fails, make a simple html file with just a href to the exe so people can right click save as.

~Jules

Edited to say:

You should only need the "Read" tick box ticked and "Scripts only" from the executure permissions drop down. Anything else is well, dodgy.

[Edited by judgejules - 9/26/2003 3:12:13 PM]

mega_stream 01 October 2003 08:49 AM

Excellent, thanks for your help Jules, deleted and re-created the virtual directory now working ok.