ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum

ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum (https://www.scoobynet.com/)
-   Computer & Technology Related (https://www.scoobynet.com/computer-and-technology-related-34/)
-   -   DVD RW (https://www.scoobynet.com/computer-and-technology-related-34/254219-dvd-rw.html)

Daz34 25 September 2003 02:35 PM

Hi there. I am considering getting a Pioneer DVR106, as it has had good reviews and supports both + & - DVDRW formats. Best price I have found is here

To fit it I need to remove one of the existing drives from my pc. Which one should I keep?

Pioneer DVD105 Rom drive
Liteon 48x CDRW

Cheers, Darren

[Edited by Daz34 - 9/25/2003 2:36:18 PM]

DJ Dunk 25 September 2003 02:42 PM

Hmmm, I had the same predicament when I installed my Pioneer A05. I took out the old DVD-Rom drive and kept the Lite-on CDRW, but later put the DVD-Rom in a USB2 external caddy. The DVD-Rom doesn't get a great deal of use though.

ScoobyJawa 25 September 2003 03:36 PM

keep the DVD rom - that way you can directly "backup" some other DVD's or games ;)

The DVDRW will do the job of the CDRW anyway!!!!

:D

ChristianR 25 September 2003 03:56 PM

yep i agree, keep the dvdrom

Daz34 25 September 2003 08:15 PM

How are your DVDRW drives? Do you make many coasters? I have a copy of Nero 5.5, is this all I need?

Mr.Cookie 25 September 2003 09:22 PM

Daz

I bought my 106 about a month ago now, my choice where keep a liteon dvd drive which i'd firmware flashed to rcp1 (region free) or keep a liteon 40 12 48 cd rw. In the end i kept the cd rw as it meant i could put dvd in only pc left in house which didn't have one.
So far the only issues i've come up with have been it's an rcp2 drive therefore won't let me watch or rip my R1 films but a quick search and a little prog called dvd idle sorted that :D

It's a fantastic drive and you won't be dissapointed which ever way you set it up :)

Si

MadGrip 25 September 2003 09:35 PM

If you plan to rip any DVD's for backup(must own origional of course) keep the dvd rom and use it for the ripping.. keeps the hours down on your new dvdr laser

AndiThompson 25 September 2003 10:28 PM

My 106 is excellent, combined with decent discs and I havent made a coaster yet. I bought from blank disc shop and got some Ritek G04 Purple Dye -Rs. Did a lot of research before I bought and was told in no uncertain terms to only bother buying these, the best around. Avoid Princo (batches differ from brillant to appauling), I'd advise buying from Blank Disc Shop, decent prices, loads of info on the discs, and prompt delivery.

Edit: To answer the original question :rolleyes:, I ditched my DVD drive, didnt use it that often anyway, and would rather have fast CD burning..

[Edited by AndiThompson - 9/25/2003 10:29:07 PM]

bsteel 26 September 2003 09:54 AM

take out your a05 although being honest if you have that the 106 is superfluous really

as for backing up dvdr i would advise against on the fly copying
the 106 is an excellent piece of kit but for the average user the 105/a05 is so similar it beggers the question as to why the upgrade was needed