ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum

ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum (https://www.scoobynet.com/)
-   General Technical (https://www.scoobynet.com/general-technical-10/)
-   -   "Auto Meter" Boost Gauge Reading 16.5psi... (https://www.scoobynet.com/general-technical-10/254124-auto-meter-boost-gauge-reading-16-5psi.html)

The_Judge 25 September 2003 09:58 AM

Morning guys (and birds ;))

Just fitted the above stated device to my totally standard MY00. It's displaying this at about 2500rpm, and holding steady pretty close to 6000rpm, in all low gears. Having read all the various past posts regarding boost pressure, this seems high. My Knocklink is happy as Larry. I'm fitting an AFR at dinner time (hopefully), so might have some more info after that.

My main worry is I have a GBE boost controller coming either today or tomorrow, and was expecting the standard boost to be around 14psi, allowing me to up it a bit. If it IS already 16.5psi though... Any thoughts?

Regards,

Ade.

[Edited by The_Judge - 9/25/2003 10:02:18 AM]

SiHethers 25 September 2003 10:46 AM

Ade

Some gauges may under-read or over-read, but I've got an autometer pro-comp, and it is spot on above 7psi.

If you know someone with deltadash you could see what the MAP sensor is seeing the boost to be, thus telling how accurate your gauge is.

I would also check for leaks from the MAP sensor hose, as this would cause the ECU to up the boost due to it misreading the manifold pressure (like a bleed valve). The MAP sensor is fixed to the drivers side suspension turret next to the boost solenoid. The hose originates from the inlet manifold, and there is also a t piece in the line which feeds to the carbon canister behind the drivers side headlight.

Cheers

Simon

dnb 25 September 2003 10:52 AM

Standard boost should be approx 11 to 12 PSI on a MY00.

Have to say that my Autometer gauge matches the MAP sensor readings quite well.

The_Judge 25 September 2003 11:07 AM

Hmmm, cheers for the replies. What should the gauge say out of the box? It was reading about 5, which then went down to 0 after starting engine. Like a ****, I bought the gauge with no vac readings, so the lowest it can go is 0... :confused:

NotoriousREV 25 September 2003 11:16 AM

Does it stay at 0 with the engine switched off or does it go back to 5?

The_Judge 25 September 2003 11:21 AM

Goes back to 5.

iain atkins 25 September 2003 11:40 AM

Sounds like you have a faulty gauge.

If it is reading over by 5psi, then this would make it 11.5psi which is about right.

Go back to your supplier and demand a replacement.

Iain

Scott.T 25 September 2003 01:34 PM

Boost gauge should read approx 0.9-1bar (well mine did on an Ae901/Ae802)then dropping slowly as you approach 6,500rpm

ECU is mapped to 13.6psi

The_Judge 25 September 2003 02:06 PM

Thanks guys, definitely looks like the gauge... bunch of arse [img]images/smilies/mad.gif[/img]