ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum

ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum (https://www.scoobynet.com/)
-   Computer & Technology Related (https://www.scoobynet.com/computer-and-technology-related-34/)
-   -   Dell boot problem.... (https://www.scoobynet.com/computer-and-technology-related-34/253529-dell-boot-problem.html)

ScoobyJawa 23 September 2003 04:35 PM

Right, some muppet changed the admin password and can't remember it. We want to scratch the machine anyway and re-install Win2k. The Win2k disk won't boot from the CD-ROM, win 98 boot disk won't let us to a prompt as the Dell box is RAID/SCSI and the 98 disk is PCI based, and the 4 Floppy disk Win2k installer bombs out because it can't find any disks.

Suggestions on getting round this would be welcome :D

Nicks VR4 23 September 2003 04:51 PM

When you say you can't boot from CD have you changed the boot sequence in the BIOS ? To boot from CD first

HHxx 23 September 2003 05:21 PM

Server or workstation?

ScoobyJawa 23 September 2003 06:03 PM

Yup - boot sequence changed, and it won't boot from the CD, left no other secondary boot methods and it just sits there saying invalid boot disk!

Its a rack mount Dell server.

HHxx 23 September 2003 06:36 PM

Is the cd drive scsi or ide?

If scsi then see if the cd drive is deteced before the raid card. If not, swap the pci detection thingy-me-bob ;) round L/H or H/L.

ScoobyJawa 23 September 2003 06:48 PM

Not sure which it is... I'll have a look.

I tried the 4 floppys to start the 2k install, and they worked, loaded up the setup prog, came to install and said there were no hard disks in the machine :rolleyes:

HHxx 23 September 2003 08:27 PM

Thats because the drivers for the raid card need to be loaded at the beginning of the setup. Think its F6 right at the start.

But there should be a bootable cd called Dell Open Manage Server Assistant. Boot this, it will help you install the OS with all the drivers required.

H

hutton_d 23 September 2003 08:36 PM

Just stick Linux on it ... that'll sort it ... :-)

Dave

ScoobyJawa 23 September 2003 09:34 PM

*Spits* I'm a unix bod at heart and I still don't want Linux :p even though I've got Red Hat!

Unfortunately Cisco products only run with Windows so the options not there anyway ;)

ChrisB 23 September 2003 09:48 PM

Think its F6 right at the start.
Correct - slap F6 when it says "Inspecting Computer..." and feed it the OEM driver floppy.

HHxx 23 September 2003 10:10 PM

Whats wrong with Wine ;)

ScoobyJawa 23 September 2003 11:07 PM

Thats because the drivers for the raid card need to be loaded at the beginning of the setup. Think its F6 right at the start.

But there should be a bootable cd called Dell Open Manage Server Assistant. Boot this, it will help you install the OS with all the drivers required.
Its a server my boss ponced second hand from another dept somewhere! So we've no stuff for it! :rolleyes:

I'll try the Dell site for the drivers and hit F6 and try and load em up! Cheers chaps!

ScoobyJawa 24 September 2003 07:18 PM

All sorted - thanks for the help fella's :D

HHxx 24 September 2003 09:20 PM

Don't forget the raid management software ;)

Depending on the make of raid card, adaptec or ami, get the right software. I really hate the OpenManage sw and since most of ours are adaptec, I use FAST software.

H

ScoobyJawa 24 September 2003 10:07 PM

This ones adaptec too!