ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum

ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum (https://www.scoobynet.com/)
-   Non Scooby Related (https://www.scoobynet.com/non-scooby-related-4/)
-   -   Racism? (https://www.scoobynet.com/non-scooby-related-4/253365-racism.html)

alcazar 23 September 2003 08:47 AM

Noted recently an awards ceremony for MOBO, (Music of Black Origin).
Noted this morning an "Association Of Black Police Officers".

Just wondered if their white-only equivalents would be allowed to exist, and if not, why are these allowed to continue?
Alcazar

Tiggs 23 September 2003 09:03 AM

they are stuck in their own circle. white this and white that does not exist as there is no need or desire, im white and dont feel my colour holds me back in any way or needs to be highlighted. clearly some black people do feel that way though and have these awards/clubs/etc......which only serves to highlight their difference in the eyes of many thus fueling their need or more highighting of their own.

T

ps- whats racist about it? they arent saying mobo music is better than "white" music.........although if stuck in room with snoop dog and dolly parton i dont know which one would silence first!

alcazar 23 September 2003 09:06 AM

Surely, something is racist if it's set up so that it excludes other races?
Otherwise, how was apartheid racist? And it certainly was:(:
Alcazar

Andy McCord 23 September 2003 09:06 AM

agree with Tiggs to a certain extent, I wonder who really has the problem sometimes ;)

Dastardly 23 September 2003 09:15 AM

I think the term you are looking for is positive discrimination not racism.

ProperCharlie 23 September 2003 09:20 AM

What people don't seem to understand about racism (you ******* **** ***** ***** :)) is that it requires some sort of difference in power or status to exist. No-one would GAS about male only golf clubs if it wasn't for the fact that historically women were denied the vote, equal pay etc. The reason that it wouldn't be ok to have an Association of White Police Officers is that for many years *The Police Force* was an association of white police officers.

There's this thing called historical context...

Ajax 23 September 2003 09:25 AM

ProperCharlie: Well said!

But when is Historical balance made, when it is seen to tip the other way perhaps?

brickboy 23 September 2003 09:25 AM

Can't comment on the wider issues here but the MOBOs does crack me up.

You could argue that ALL modern, non-classical music apart from European folk music is of black origin .... rock, dance, urban / r&b / whatever all have similar roots going back to the 30s, 40s and 50s jazz, blues, early r&b and doo-wop.

It would be dead funny if someone like The Darkness won "best newcomer" .... :D

Andy McCord 23 September 2003 09:34 AM

It may off been that years ago the vast % of people in the police force were white, but dont forget, it has always been open to any race or creed,

Dracoro 23 September 2003 09:52 AM

I think the term you are looking for is positive discrimination not racism
What's the difference? Discrimination is discrimination. One race is being discriminated against. That's racism pure & simple.

beemerboy 23 September 2003 10:04 AM

the point is being missed.

you could say the same about an under 15 cross-country race, or an over 25 pub - thats discrimination too!!!!

if blacks want to hold a music award ceremony, let them.
its just "classification"
and only seen as racist, by racists!!

i'm sure there are plenty of honk...erm , whites, in the audience anyway!!!

BB:)

STi wanna Subaru 23 September 2003 10:11 AM

it's not 'blacks' holding an award ceremony. It about Music of Black Origin...... As said above this is almost every from of music going. I think Justin Timberlake is nominated for one of the awards..... If he is black then I'm getting my eyes tested!!

dosenöffner 23 September 2003 10:18 AM

There's also a Gay Police Association. Any complaints there? WOuld you prefer not to be nicked by one?

MATTeL 23 September 2003 10:23 AM

Beemerboy - "Ageism" is not actually recognised in law at the moment. The current estimate of when it will be recognised is 2010 (employment law usually being slightly ahead of other legislation).

So your example is a little mute.

Positive discrimination is a worrying thing that has happened for years. Spot job adverts for companies that are aiming to be an Equal Ops employer - this usually means that they aretrying to get their workforce balanced so they can get the EO status. (Nice broad brush was used for that statement)

Scooby96 23 September 2003 10:26 AM

How about GAY pubs and clubs - why dont we have designated STRAIGHT ones, oh sorry thats because it would be seen as discrimination - double standards anyone!!

ProperCharlie 23 September 2003 10:32 AM

"Gay" is just used to describe the type of event and the likely clientelle - do people get refused entry because they are straight? No. Descrimination is about preventing people from being allowed to do things that they reasonably wish to do, or bettering themselves in their workplace etc. It isn't about dressing up in rubber suits FFS.

STi wanna Subaru 23 September 2003 10:35 AM

Are all SCUBA divers gay then? :confused:

What about MUFF divers?

ProperCharlie 23 September 2003 10:38 AM

STi-wanna: you must be thinking of the one legged lesbian deep sea diving club for single mothers of indeterminate ethnic origin...

STi wanna Subaru 23 September 2003 10:41 AM

that's a mouthfull!! (That could be their motto) :D

grovesy 23 September 2003 11:21 AM

It's bang out of order, If your a straight white man with no disability's in this country you get f*cked.

If there was a music award's show for white music there would be hell on!!!!

ProperCharlie 23 September 2003 11:22 AM

grovesy - if it's any help i could get someone to break you legs...

STi wanna Subaru 23 September 2003 11:26 AM

grovesy,

A show called MOWO would be terrible!! It would be all redneck soungs from the deep south of America......... but hey if that's your thing then cool!!

ProperCharlie 23 September 2003 11:30 AM

hmmm... music of inbred red-neck origin... I think their could be some potential there. Just don't bring your sisters :)

MOIRO - you heard it hear first!

grovesy 23 September 2003 11:32 AM

proper charlie

send em over, I will be able to park nearer the shops, get a free car time off work and a big pay out from a no win no fee type company.

ProperCharlie 23 September 2003 11:33 AM

i'll ring them up and find out if they are fully insured ;)

RichWalk 23 September 2003 11:34 AM

There is a certain degree of of incedious reverse racism involved with these events, the political 'equality for blacks' groups have been trying to promote positive black 'role models' outside of the sterotypical sportspeople & musicians for years, they want business types & professional people to be highlighted instead.

If you look at the people behind these events, ie the CEO's etc of the major record companies, how many of them are black?? One could argue they are promoting the role of black people in music, which they are far more comfortable with than the prospect of a black CEO promoting the 'origin of white music' awards. Just a thought...

Hobo_Jojo 23 September 2003 12:11 PM

arnt like a few white people nominated for mobo's anyway? ie justin timberlake, eminem, christine aguilera

dosenöffner 23 September 2003 12:42 PM

Sexism is little different. I the effort to become PC you can overdo it. Now it can be the reverse in many cases. At University there was a women's space / cafe. There was no such area for men. I found that sexist. Be nice to get away from the nagging once in a while.

Why do we pay full price for a train ride when we have to surrender our seat to a female anyway?

Scooby96 23 September 2003 12:44 PM

Only if they're disabled would I give up my seat. Or if she was an attractive blond with huge knockers (as they would bounce better with her sitting down!)

[Edited by Scooby96 - 9/23/2003 12:46:06 PM]

Buzzer 23 September 2003 12:51 PM

Scooby 96

Most sensible post on here ;)

:D