ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum

ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum (https://www.scoobynet.com/)
-   Drivetrain (https://www.scoobynet.com/drivetrain-11/)
-   -   Up and down pipes - any good? (https://www.scoobynet.com/drivetrain-11/253059-up-and-down-pipes-any-good.html)

Scooby96 22 September 2003 01:02 PM

MY93 WRX, full decat, scoobyecu remap & panel filter - will I benefit (and how?) from an up and down pipe?

Any further benefit from heat wrap & samco hoses? If so what benefit from these mods?

(coilovers, big brakes also being sorted but I know the benefits of these already!!)

Fatman 22 September 2003 01:08 PM

If you have a full decat then you've already changed the downpipe. There are marginal benefits to changing the up-pipe, so it's a very poor modification in value-for-money terms.

Heat wrap applied to your downpipe could make the cabin a bit quieter. Samco hoses (intercooler set) may allow you to run a bit more boost than the OE hoses, but that depends on the rest of the engine as well.

Scooby96 22 September 2003 01:14 PM

As per the scoobyecu I believe boost is at around 15.5 - 16psi.

I also thought about a water spray to reduce intake temp, thus helping the OE components but with Samco hoses I might not need to bother with spray??

Fatman 22 September 2003 01:29 PM

I think there's two different points being addressed there. Firstly, the boost level and secondly the charge temperature.

With regards to pressure - 15.5/16psi is between 1.0 and 1.1 bar. That sounds like it's only marginally over the stock boost pressure (can anyone confirm?). Samco hoses would allow greater boost presure than the original hoses, for sure.

With regards to temperatures - do you know that you actually have a problem with intake temps at the moment? A water spray might help, but you may be better off saving your pennies and replacing the original top-mount intercooler with a better aftermarket one.

What are you actually trying to achieve? Do you have a particular power target, working to any particular budget?

Scooby96 22 September 2003 02:15 PM

Was told stock boost was c11.7psi - scoobyecu has increased this to about 15.5.

No problem with charge temp AFAIK but wanted the waterspray to avoid problems associated with hot days. Also no real reason for wanting samco hoses other than they look nice under the bonnet - if theres added benefit in terms of torque/bhp then all the better ;)

Fatman 22 September 2003 02:25 PM

OK, I could be wrong. I thought, however, that stock boost was closer to 15psi (1 bar)? For comparison, when my car was remapped ('Tek2', not custom mapped) it now boosts to 1.2 bar (18psi). Anyway, the Samco i/c hoses would allow higher boost. They won't improve power levels if you're not changing the boost level.

Yes, they do look nice. That's the reason I put Samco coolant hoses on. No other reason! :D

I don't reckon a water spray would give you good value for money. It would be better spent on a secondhand uprated topmount intercooler.

Is your car's intercooler one of the 'slanty' design ones?

Disco 22 September 2003 02:38 PM

Stock boost on a MY93 WRX with TD05 is 0.8bar which is approx 11.76psi ;)

Fatman 22 September 2003 02:43 PM

OK - I stand corrected. Why is it so low? TD05s can go much higher, I believe.

Disco 22 September 2003 02:48 PM

At a guess purely because that was all that was needed for Subarus power requirements at the time.

Fatman 22 September 2003 02:51 PM

Hmm... well that solves the problem of "which turbo?" if you decide to make a significant power upgrade. Just get a front-entry conversion done to your existing turbo. :)

Anyway, does the MY93 have a 'slanty' or 'straight' intercooler? I'm wondering what sorts of replacement i/c's might be appropriate.

David_Wallis 22 September 2003 03:13 PM

slanty.

Fatman 22 September 2003 04:44 PM

MRT do a replacement topmount for the MY93. What else is out there? I don't know if Scooby96 is considering a replacement i/c, but it's worth knowing what the options are.

[Edited by Fatman - 9/22/2003 4:46:16 PM]

Scooby96 22 September 2003 04:47 PM

If I had the cash I might consider a replacement i/c - fmic would be way too expensive so what options do I have with a tmic.

Is MY93 WRX i/c def a slanty one as it doesnt look very slanty to me?

Delboy2 22 September 2003 06:50 PM

You could also fit a TMIC from a STiV/VI. I have a MY99/00 TMIC fitted to My MY96 atm and it is much more efficient than the original slanty TMIC. The MY99/00 TMIC does require modifications to fit but is well worth it as these are dual entry and the core is bigger than the original. I will be selling my modified TMIC shortly as I am going the FMIC route for further Modifications :D :D

Scooby96 23 September 2003 07:58 AM

Delboy - YHM re your modded ic!

Scooby96 23 September 2003 10:09 AM

So is one of these babies a good mod to do? I'm thinking my WRX (MY93) has a TD05 hence the reference to MY97-02 TD04 compatability on this item?

http://www.sidtech.co.uk/iu/33300856944.jpg

APS High Flow Turbo Outlet
The shape of the exhaust immediately after the turbocharger is critical not only for strong outright performance, but for excellent turbo response and correct turbocharger and waste gate operation. The exact optimum shape for the best performance possible cannot be formed from steel tube and we at APS do not compromise on performance. This third generation High Flow Turbine Outlet improves catalytic "light-off" performance. It also reduces disturbance of the primary exhaust discharge from the turbine wheel caused by the wastegate swing valve opening. The result is a marked improvement in overall system efficiency..

This high flow housing bolts directly to the Mitsubishi TD04 turbocharger and the popular range of IHI VF series turbochargers. The outlet end bolts directly to a standard 3" exhaust flange.

This is a highly recommended component for high performance WRX and STI engines.

MY97 - MY02
WRX and STI 2 Door Version 5
STI 4 Door Version 6

[Edited by Scooby96 - 9/23/2003 10:09:47 AM]

Delboy2 23 September 2003 08:03 PM

Scooby96 - YHM ;)