ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum

ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum (https://www.scoobynet.com/)
-   General Technical (https://www.scoobynet.com/general-technical-10/)
-   -   Identifying WRX or STi (https://www.scoobynet.com/general-technical-10/25293-identifying-wrx-or-sti.html)

ALANB 12 January 1999 12:43 AM

A couple of things
1. STi's have a pink badge on the grille with an "i" in the middle instead of the 7 stars on black Subaru symbol.
2. I think the kevlar strut brace was on the '96, open the bonnet and look at the back of the engine compartment, it's very visable.
3. Ask the dealer to show you the auction documents, you should be able to see "WRX STi" written in English on it somewhere at the top.

It is perfectly possible that the original owner didn't want a high spoiler and ordered it with the low one.

Sean 12 January 1999 12:00 PM

I am thinking of purchasing a V-Limited WRX from a dealer. It is badged up with STi badges all over it, but it has a smaller rear spoiler.

Is there ay way i can idetnify between a WRX and the STi on the 1996 V-Limited run??

Thanks

Sean

clarence 12 January 1999 09:46 PM

As far as I know, all Jap spec Imprezas have an 'i' badge on the grill. The 5 star badge only applies to export spec Subarus, even Jap spec Legacys have a stylised 'L' instead of the 5 stars on the badge.
You can check whether it's a STi by looking at the seats (should have 'STi' embossed on the seat covers), whether it has got red stitchings on the steering wheel and gear knob and the rev-counter, it should redline at 8000rpm and with STi logos on the face.

ALANB 13 January 1999 09:48 AM

The WRX definitely has the stars and a '96 v-limited could be a Version 2 STi engine which redlines at 7000 rpm but the seats should have STi logos on them.
Is the car Silver?, when I was going for mine at auction I had the option of a Silver STi V-Limited with a small spoiler, though it probably wouldn't be in the country yet, just wondering...

andrew 13 January 1999 11:17 AM

There is a section in the FAQ on the SIDC website that gives the model code information. If you look at the metal plate under the bonnet, on the near side, you will see this information, simply match it up with the table to tell you what the car is.

e.g.

'96 Cars

WRX STi Version III V-Limited= GC8D4ED
WRX = GC8D48D

clarence 13 January 1999 10:45 PM

Judging by all the Japanese brochures on WRXs that I have, together with a WRX advert in a Japanese magazine (early '95), I can safely say that all WRXs have 'i' badges on the grill. The badge on STis have pink background and the rest have black background.
Anyway, don't trust the badges-they can be changed easily.

Sean 14 January 1999 07:37 PM

Thanks guys,

I have now figured out that it is a 1996 WRX
V-Limited edition. It has 30,000km on it and
is blue with gold alloyd.
It is the WRC Blue colour and has 'World Manufacturers Champions Subaru 1995'

He is asking for £16,499 with 1 year warranty - is this a good deal??

Any help is most appreciated

ALANB 15 January 1999 10:31 AM

Sounds like a good price to me, however I'd want to see some documentation first. Few Japanese cars will have a service history log book, but if it was bought at auction they should have a copy of the auction report and be able to talk you through it. If they haven't got anything then be cautious and get it checked by the RAC first.
If cars have been damaged they will not pass the super strict Japanese MOT without huge expense and they usually end up as cheap exports.