ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum

ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum (https://www.scoobynet.com/)
-   ScoobyNet General (https://www.scoobynet.com/scoobynet-general-1/)
-   -   First time scooby owner (https://www.scoobynet.com/scoobynet-general-1/252623-first-time-scooby-owner.html)

scoobytypeR 20 September 2003 11:58 PM

Picked up my '97 Subaru Impreza Type Sti type R a few days ago...WOW!!!!!

That f/cking close ration gear box is awesome, and the acceleration is just absolutely devastating!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Still aint work out what diff is or how to use it, so keep it on bottom setting on dashboard display.

Thought my MR2 turbo was fast (5.7 0-60) this thing would fu*king kill my old mr2 and ask for seconds!!!!

OH MY GOD, the exhaust has a 5" exit and seriously sounds like a dodge Viper when I start it up..AWESOME!!!

My rating of the sti type R '97 = 9.9/10

cheers
Matt

TonyBurns 21 September 2003 12:06 AM

Get yourself a set of defi gauges, a knocklink and lots of octane booster ontop of the super unleaded your using (i hope :eek: )
This will show you what exactly is happening to your car as JDM cars have very little knock correction and that can lead to serious engine problems (hopefully not :D)

Tony:D

scoobytypeR 21 September 2003 12:09 AM

I only use Shell optimax, no octane booster.

booked into interpro, Bristol, for 17th october for a full rolling road session, so should be ok after that.

This car, appraently, somthe importer says, has a a upgraded turbo, gear box and induction kit...fukcin V E R Y scary the power is...NEVE heard such a loud exhaust b4 in my life!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Matt

scooby-si 21 September 2003 12:26 AM

take it u like it m8 lol make u :D from ear to ear get some octane boost in it m8

greasemonkey 21 September 2003 01:25 AM

I only use Shell optimax, no octane booster.
Priceless. :rolleyes:

Matt, you were round here long enough under your previous username to know that running ex-Jap STi without booster, without a remap, and without monitoring knock, is positively volunteering for trouble, especially if the car is modified in the ways you claim.

If you don't want to be back here in a few days/weeks/months time moaning about how your pride and joy needs a new engine, start reading what people write, as it's all said for your benefit.

Start using booster and order a KnockLink first thing on Monday morning. Until you have both, take it easy on the loud pedal. For all you know the thing could be detting its heads every time you floor it, and there's plenty enough time between now and your rolling road appointment for you to cause catastrophic damage. Someone here recently had one blow up on the drive home from the importer's...

A number of people have taken quite a bit of time sharing their experience for your benefit over the past few months, but judging by the way you keep asking the same questions over and over again, and repeatedly make the same basic mistakes, it seems as though you don't actually take any notice. This may not encourage people to continue to try to help you...;)

BTW, thought the guy who imported your car was taking care of all the SVA related issues?

[Edited by greasemonkey - 9/21/2003 1:28:37 AM]

Dan_Pulsar 21 September 2003 09:56 AM

I have a Type R whats this Knock link thing like?

scoobytypeR 21 September 2003 11:17 AM

ok, so where, online can I get a knock link??

and is that all I need (apart from octane booster?)

cheers
Matt

Leviathan 21 September 2003 01:43 PM

Matt me ole china, have a word with 'brdevelopments' about a knock link, around a hundred notes which is cheap compared to bottom end re-build. Piece of pee to fit and itl let you know whats going on regards det and possible engine self destruct function!
After that, save up some more dosh and fit some gauges, i hope youve got a boost gauge already but oil pressure and air/fuel ratio are 2 of the more important ones.
The imported STIs are quick yes but they do need respect!
As someone mentioned above, they are set up very close to 'det' even on a good day.
The lecture is here endeth:)

scoobytypeR 21 September 2003 01:46 PM

it's already got 6 aftermarket white dial gauges...already had them in it when it came over from japan.

oil pressure, ext temp..the whole lot.

Well, apart from a boost gauge ;0)

It truly is STUNNING!!!!!!!!!!

Matt

S.B. 21 September 2003 01:48 PM

Get yourself some NF Race...:D

ScoobyRS 21 September 2003 03:05 PM

get some pics up also :D

scoobytypeR 21 September 2003 03:28 PM

how do i post pics on here??

Matt