ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum

ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum (https://www.scoobynet.com/)
-   Other Marques (https://www.scoobynet.com/other-marques-33/)
-   -   Unexcpected Evo 7 behaviour exiting curve (https://www.scoobynet.com/other-marques-33/252607-unexcpected-evo-7-behaviour-exiting-curve.html)

Melina 20 September 2003 10:35 PM

I just drove my boyfriend's Evo 7 hard in a curve. When in the curve the car started to understeer so I gave it more throttle and it corrected itself. However, upon exiting the curve the Evo started to fishtail (strange behaviour for Evo I think) and then settled down. Anyone got any idea what's wrong? Having just acquired an STi myself I am concerned that this problem may occur with MY Scoob.

Thanks in advance.

Malene

Sprint Chief 21 September 2003 01:19 AM

Hmmm. I've come across this sort of handling behaviour before.

I'm afraid there is only one guaranteed way of curing it. You must dump your evo-owning boyfriend and exclusively date impreza owners :D

ScoobyKev 21 September 2003 05:06 AM

Well put sprint...go on chuck him, finish with the biatch :)

Kev

deano 21 September 2003 03:48 PM

It's the AYC. Don't lift off and keep your foot planted (as long as there is enough room).

It feels strange at first but you will get used to it. I practiced on damp roundabouts when I first bought my evo. The AYC diff makes some weird noises when it is working but don't worry.

Anyway, why are you driving a mans car? Shouldn't you be in a subaru :D

evoviifan 21 September 2003 11:26 PM

I have a VII with AYC and I go large in it a lot...I have never had the AYC do this. The AYC certainly will not make my car understeer or fishtail.

Also I have never heard the AYC make any noise....maybe mine is not working? Should it make a noise????

I have found that when driving the VII in the wet on the limit, it will get sideways, keep the power down and the car will gently brings things back in a straight line without fuss, strange noises or fishtailing.

just my experience...

Gastro 22 September 2003 12:03 AM

I'm sorry - but I should mention (being a gastoenterologist) - your name really isnt't the best sounding word in the world of medicine :D (cf. malaena)...

Apologies - its just the kid in me - hope it makes better sense in France.

Gastro :D :D

[Edited by Gastro - 9/22/2003 12:04:22 AM]

Melina 22 September 2003 12:33 PM

Thanks for all your responses.

To the medicine man: I am aware of this unfortunate association but I can assure you it is not the correct etymology since I am Danish and not Latin (medical language).

I only bought the Scooby since I could not afford the male version (Evo). The Evo definitely has the edge with pin-point accurate steering but it is more unpredictable which is why I should stick to it - Woman's priviledge

cryptwalk 22 September 2003 03:42 PM

only bought the Scooby since I could not afford the male version (Evo). The Evo definitely has the edge with pin-point accurate steering but it is more unpredictable which is why I should stick to it - Woman's priviledge
:cool: :D

You may get a better response over here.. lancerregister.com Click on forums and ask away. :)

[Edited by cryptwalk - 9/22/2003 3:44:18 PM]

Melina 22 September 2003 07:27 PM

But on seconds thoughts - both car and driver unpredictable..I will stick to the Scooby

evoviifan 22 September 2003 08:01 PM

There must be something wrong with the VII you drove...I have done 10k miles from new in my VII and it has never put a foot (er wheel) wrong.

Love scoobs as well, just prefer the evo as you see less of them about.

jonc 22 September 2003 08:51 PM

Hang on, I thought that if you were understeering and then applied more power, the car would understeer more, and what should be done is reduce throttle to transfer the weight of the car forward for the front wheels to get more grip and the nose to tuck in?

scooby_si 22 September 2003 09:24 PM

wot model of vii was it also as not all evos have AYC init ;)
Si